Autumn = cooler weather (even in SoCal), falling leaves, pumpkins and…pumpkin spice lattes! One time, long ago I ordered a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks, took one sip, and threw it away (true story). It was disgusting…overly sweet with a funky aftertaste. Needless to say, I never went down that road again.
So, I made my own.
- 2 oz. freshly brewed espresso*
- 1/4 c. full fat coconut milk**
- 1-2 Tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Splash of pure maple syrup or honey…or omit for no added sugar
- Splash of pure vanilla extract
- Brew your espresso. *If you don’t have any espresso machine, it’s okay! Make some dark french roast coffee. I do this with a French press now since I gave my espresso machine away.
- Froth the coconut milk using the steamer on your espresso machine. **Again…no machine? Heat the milk on the stovetop. It just won’t be foamy or give the same consistency but will still taste amazing. Heavy cream also works well here.
- In a small container, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Shake to combine. You will only be using about 1/8 tsp per cup, so save the rest.
- Combine espresso, steamed coconut milk, 1-2 tablespoons of pumpkin, vanilla extract and 1/8 teaspoon of spice mix. Add splash of maple syrup or honey if you prefer. If I know you used the fake junk, I will hunt you down! Would also be good with no sweetener at all (my preference). Stir to combine.
- Top with foam and sprinkle with a pinch of spice.
- Delight in your fall inspired drink and the fact that you saved yourself $4.50.