The first time I ever smelled fennel, I was brought back to my 21st birthday and the shot of Sambucca I was tricked into drinking (black licorice in a glass…ew!). After I got over that initial response and tried it, I was won over by its delicate anise flavor and crunchy texture. These lovely fennel bulbs, tomato, and purple onions arrived in my Suzie’s Farm CSA box this week, so I prepped this crunchy side salad to take advantage of the fresh produce. The vinaigrette is courtesy of my great friend Jen (of Jen’s Gone Paleo). Feel free to sub out produce that you may have handy, such as a large tomato instead of cherry tomatoes.
Ingredients for Fennel Tomato Salad
For the Salad
- 2 small (or 1 large) fennel bulbs
- 1 small bunch of purple onion
- 4 medium cherry tomatoes
- Juice of one lime
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Pinch of ancho chili powder
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Directions for Fennel Tomato Salad
1. Slice the fennel bulb and purple onion thinly. Discard the stalks/onion tops. Chop the tomatoes. Combine the veggies in a bowl.
2. Prepare the dressing. Pour on top. Stir.
Eat and enjoy!