The first time I ever smelled fennel, I was brought back to my 21st birthday and the shot of Sambucca I was tricked into drinking (black licorice in a glass…ew!). After I got over that initial response and tried it, I was won over by its delicate anise flavor and crunchy texture. These lovely fennel bulbs, tomato, and purple onions arrived in my Suzie’s Farm CSA box this week, so I prepped this crunchy side salad to take advantage of the fresh produce. The vinaigrette is courtesy of my great friend Jen (of Jen’s Gone Paleo). Feel free to sub out produce that you may have handy, such as a large tomato instead of cherry tomatoes.
- 2 small (or 1 large) fennel bulbs
- 1 small bunch of purple onion
- 4 medium cherry tomatoes
- Ingredients for the vinaigrette
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Pinch of ancho chili powder
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Slice the fennel bulb and purple onion thinly. Discard the stalks/onion tops. Chop the tomatoes. Combine the veggies in a bowl.
- Prepare the dressing. Pour on top. Stir.
- Eat and enjoy!
Pin this for later!
If you’d like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, you must get written permission first. Please use the contact form to send me a message before using any of my content on your blog / website.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Stupid Easy Paleo, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.