This is a take on a product offered at my local Farmer’s Market, and I save a boat-load by making my own. It’s packed with nutritious greens and is a convenient way to sneak in some extra veggies while on the go or when the fridge is running low on fresh produce. Honestly, I would never even attempt making this without a Vitamix (or similar high-powered blender) because of the need to blend the bejeezus out of it and liquify the tough bits (stems, stalks, etc); other than that, it couldn’t be simpler.
I make a huge batch and freeze it in ice cube trays. Pop the cubes out, and store them in the freezer in a ziploc bag. When I want a drink, I pop a few cubes in a blender bottle and add water. I prefer it on the less sweet side, but you could definitely sweeten it up by adding an apple or banana to the mix.
One bunch of each*:
- Collard greens
- Swiss chard
- Dandelion greens
- Red leaf lettuce
- 1 apple or banana, optional
*Opt for organic when possible. If certain greens are not available, substitute with your choice or double up on something else.
Vitamix (or similar)
Large stock pot
1. Thoroughly wash all greens. There is no need to trim the stems/stalks.
2. Process the greens in small batches, adding enough water to keep the Vitamix moving. You want the greens to liquefy as much as possible. Pour the processed greens into the stock pot for holding.
3. If desired, process the banana or apple in the last batch of greens.
4. Stir the mixture thoroughly. It’s honestly going to look like green soup!
5. Portion into ice cube trays. Freeze and then store cubes in ziploc bags. You will likely need to work in batches. Keep greens mixture in refrigerator until the entire batch is frozen.
As I mentioned, I drink this mixed with extra water but it would be delicious added to a smoothie or blended with coconut water. Enjoy!If you'd like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, please use the contact form to send me a message first! PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.