I’ll admit it: I love the Food Network. While I’m more drawn to shows like Chopped! and Iron Chef America, I decided to watch an old episode of Barefoot Contessa yesterday. Normally, Ina’s food isn’t really up my alley but her recipe for Guacamole Salad spoke to me right away. Only bummer…it wasn’t Paleo. A couple of tweaks later, and I had a bowl of amazing flavors and colors sitting in front of me…perfect for a summer cook-out (or just a quiet weeknight at home).
The creaminess of the avocado, tang from the lime and crunch from the Persian cucumbers are the stars of the show! (Persian cucumbers have thinner skin and hardly any seeds…their crunchiness is the reason I used them. If you can’t find them, regular cucumber–peeled and seeded–would be a good replacement).
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 0 min Makes: 4-5 cups
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 Persian cucumbers
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 large, ripe avocados (I used 3 small)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (2 if you like spicy)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Prepare the veggies and add to a large mixing bowl:
- Halve the grape tomatoes.
- Chop the cucumbers and bell pepper into medium chunks…we are making salad here, not salsa!
- Chop the red onion into small dice (big chunks of onion = not so bueno).
- Cut the avocados in half, and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop out the entire flesh. Then chop into medium chunks.
- Chop the garlic and jalapeño finely. Remove the white inner membrane and seeds to control the spiciness.
- Run your knife through the cilantro a few times to cut the leaves down a bit.
2. Mix all the veggies together and then prepare the dressing.
3. Zest one lime into the bowl.
4. In a measuring cup, combine the fresh lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix and pour over the veggies. Toss to coat.
5. Try not to eat the whole bowl!
If you'd like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, please use the contact form to send me a message first! PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.