Oh, cauliflower. I have tried so many times to like you. With your rich amounts of Vitamin C and other important nutrients, in addition to your kindness to the waistline (a mere 30 calories per cup), you’d think I would have been able to love you by now. Boiled, sauteed, and steamed…not a single preparation technique has made me say, “Oooooh, cauliflower!!” I finally prepared you roasted in the oven last week…not too shabby [note: I took this old recipe off my personal blog, so given it originally posted in 4/2010, it's been a while since I've come to like it.]
I have, many times, seen recipes for mashed cauliflower. “Just like mashed potatoes,” boast many a website. I tried that before but with my hand masher couldn’t get a smooth enough consistency. Armed with my food processor, though, I knew this would all change. I happened to go to Henry’s this morning and get two cauliflower for $1. Cheap eats, no? A quick search of the net for “Paleo mashed cauliflower” yielded many hits. I clicked on one and began my quest.
- 2 head of cauliflower
- ~8 garlic cloves (more or less to taste, depends if you are single or not)
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
1. Rinse the cauliflower and cut the florets away from the core.
2. Peel the garlic. I take a huge knife, hold it sideways (flat) and push down on the garlic to break the coating of the garlic. The peel slips right off.
3. Throw the cauliflower and garlic into a medium saucepan along with about 1/2 inch of water (or use a steaming basket).
4. Steam for several minutes until the cauliflower is tender when pierced.
5. Into a food processor, place the cooked cauliflower, whole garlic cloves, olive oil, pepper and salt (optional) to taste. Give it a good whirl until the consistency is smooth.
Yields ~ 6 cups (use 1 head of cauliflower and half as much garlic for a smaller batch)
Much to my surprise, I LOVED IT!! The smooth consistency and lack of knobbly little cauliflower bits was enough to sell me. I will be rotating this plant freak into my menu regularly Bon apetit!If you'd like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, please use the contact form to send me a message first! PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.