The weather is getting cooler (unless you’re in Southern California where it was 90 degrees yesterday…I’m ready for FALL!), which makes for perfect soup weather.
This soup starts with poached chicken and chicken stock, adds diced tomatoes for depth of flavor, peppers and onions for color (and ups the veg factor) and spices to round it out. You could also grill the chicken. This is also a one-pot meal so there’s easy clean-up. There are so many options for this dish that can cut the prep time down to almost nothing:
- use store-bought rotisserie chicken
- use prepared chicken stock
- substitute any other cooked meat you have (beef, pork, etc)
- To poach the chicken: Add the meat to a large cooking pot in one layer. Add water (and spices if you want) until the meat is covered by about ½" of liquid. Bring the pot to a boil, reduce to a gentle simmer (think a bubble here and there escaping) and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for 15 minutes longer. Remove the meat, pour off the water and let cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Shred once cool enough to handle.
- Add the peppers and onion to the pot with 1 tablespoon of cooking fat, and cook until the veg are softened and a bit browned.
- Pour the chicken stock, diced tomatoes and diced chilis into the pot.
- Add the cumin and paprika. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. (This will depend on whether you used low-salt stock and/or personal preference.)
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot and heat through.
- Serve with a chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, etc.
What’s your favorite soup recipe?
If you'd like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, you must get express written permission first. Please use the contact form to send me a message before using any of my content on your blog / website! Failure to do so is a copyright violation.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Stupid Easy Paleo, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.