Paleo Cabbage Rolls (Golumbki)

Paleo Cabbage Rolls (Golumbki) | stupideasypaleo.com

Say it with me…”go-wump-key”…it’s a fun one.

These satisfying little rolls of meat and cabbage take me back to my childhood, and having a Polish grandmother meant that golumbki were often on the menu when we went to visit. When I made this recipe, I instantly reminisced about her standing in the kitchen cooking for all of us. Traditionally, golumbki are made with rice so I substituted cauliflower to give a similar look and texture. Grandma always used a can of Campbell’s tomato soup (contains corn syrup and gluten!) to pour over the golumbki while they cook, but I used plain crushed tomatoes to give the same flavor without any weird ingredients. This one takes a little bit of time to prepare so to make up for it, I threw it all in the crock pot on low for 5 hours – you could bake them in the oven at 350°F for about 90 minutes. Or to make the process super easy, layer the ingredients in a dish, lazy-style.

Ingredients for Paleo Cabbage Rolls

Directions for Paleo Cabbage Rolls

1. Rice / grate the cauliflower. I use the grating attachment on my food processor or you could grate by hand – but it’s a pain in the ass. Save 1-1/2 cups for this recipe and the rest for something else…it’s tasty fried up in this side dish.

2. Dice the onion finely.

3. In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

4. Put a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. To prepare the cabbage for rolling, you’ll lightly boil it whole and peel the leaves off a few at a time. Cut the core out of the cabbage and place in the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. As the leaves soften, you can peel them off with a spoon. Take care not to rip them in half. The whole process usually takes about 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can throw the whole cabbage in and let it simmer for about 15 minutes – the outermost leaves will become very soft but still usable. In either case, peel as many of the leaves off as you can and let cool a bit.

5. In a large skillet over medium-high heat put a spoonful of coconut oil or your fat of choice. Add the onion and grated cauliflower  and and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent and the cauliflower is softened. Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.

6. Combine the onion / cauliflower with the meat and mix by hand to incorporate all the ingredients.

7. Roll the golumbki by taking a cabbage leaf – concave side up with the stem toward you – and placing a large spoonful of the meat mixture at the stem end. Then roll forward, fold the sides in and end with the seam down.

8. Mix the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce (not pasta sauce) in a bowl. Put ~1 cup in the bottom of the crockpot (or casserole dish). Lay the golumbki in with the seam side down. Cover with the remaining tomato mixture once the crock is full.

9. For a crockpot, cook on low for 5 hours. If using the oven, cover the top of the dish with foil and bake for 1.5 hours at 350°F (175°C).

79 thoughts on “Paleo Cabbage Rolls (Golumbki)

1. Pingback: Day 13 – SAT, 5/18 « Paleo Dammit!

2. Dinah Cox-Moore

Just made this for lunch for my coworkers today and it was a major hit!! My only changes were, I used petite diced tomatoes since I didn’t have crushed, and used a whole 15 ounce can of sauce. I added a tablespoon of fresh minced basil to the tomato part. Served it with some green can parm cheese. it was awesomeness on a plate!

3. Mandy

Have you ever tried freezing these? Would love to do that since it would be just my boyfriend and I. Thanks!

Hi Mandy! Great question. I’m always a little leery of freezing veggies because they have a tendency to get mushy. That being said, I think if you pulled some out of the crockpot a bit earlier than the rest (making certain the meat was cooked of course) that it might work. It’s just me cooking for myself right now and one batch made a lot but I ate it all within about 3 days.

2. andrea

I am polish and at all of our relatives weddings this was the main dish. My grandma and aunts and mom would make enough to feed 300-400 people. They did use rice though and topped with canned crushed tomatoes and sauce. They made them the month of the wedding and froze them after baking and heated them up starting the morning of wedding and they tasted great! Funny also, My one cousin had her wedding catered with beef and chicken and everyone asked where were the stuffed cabbage!!!

Thanks so much for the great memory, Andrea! Reminds me of my grandma’s church friends making hundreds of pierogi at a time! Good to know that they will freeze well. Thanks very much for checking it :)

4. liz

To save your fingers/ hands/ sanity – cut the core out of a whole head of cabbage when it is fresh and stick the whole thing in the freezer before you make your cabbage rolls. Then pull it out in the morning, stick it in the sink to defrost during the day.. you’ll have softened/ soured leaves and you won’t need to burn your fingers over a boiling pot of water!

5. Jane

OMG! Made tonight and it is, BY FAR, my new fav paleo recipe. Next time I will mix a bit more sauce. I got 15 rolls out of my recipe (small ones towards the center leaves) and could have used a bit more sause on those last three. Yummmmm. It is a bit time intensive, but save it for the weekend. WELL WORTH THE TIME!

Jane, this is so great to hear, especially since this recipe means a lot to me personally (as it reminds me of my grandmother). I’m very glad you took the time to let me know.

6. Pingback: WOD for Friday October 4th: | Crossfit Full Potential

7. katie

I was bummed with the results. The meat was tasty, but the sauce was like water. Is that how it typically turns out for you? Hubby did not like, which stinks because they did take all day to prepare and make. :(

1. steph123

My mom takes the liquid (typically out of a pressure cooker) after the cabbage and meat is cooked and mixes it with another mixture of bacon grease and flour that she’s heated in a small saucepan. This adds amazing flavor and thickness the gravy. It’s to die for!

Wow!! I wonder if it would work with another flour (I’m sensitive to gluten) but I like what she’s done there by making a roux with the bacon fat! Genius!

8. Kelley

LOVED this. The addition of riced cauliflower in the meat was perfect. I added a few of my fave spices: cumin, curry, etc., and the final result was perfection. Made in crock pot like you suggested. Will be making in future.

9. loretta

Hi, I tried making these tonight. They just came out of the oven and look and smell delicious, but I’m afraid the meat is not cooked through. Should I have browned the meat mixture first or should it look a little pink still?

They should be cooked all the way through if you’re uncomfortable eating slightly underdone ground meat.

10. Cheryl

I make these wonderful bundles in very – very large batches. What I do is roll a very large amount of them and lay them on a plastic wrap lined cookie sheet not touching. Freeze them. once frozen I put them in large freezer zip lock bags. ON busy days in the morning I layer some frozen into my crock pot with the tomato sauce and cook till I get home after work. They freeze and cook like a dream. Thank you for a great recipie.

11. Weronika

it tastes amazing even without any sauce ! I’m eating it very often since i was a little girl and it allways tastes amazing! My mother does it best! And in many , many ways… love it :)

12. Corina

Made these tonight and they are amazing! Even my husband who does not like to eat healthy couldn’t quit eating them.

13. Pingback: Top 10 Paleo Posts of 2013 Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

14. Mel Pelchat

Can’t wait to try this receipe. My Polish grandma would make this for me too. Using Campbell’s tomato and a can of French onion soup. Will try your modified version. Thanks for the receipe.

15. Pingback: The One with a Sugar Free Meal Plan | FROM MY PLATE

16. kate

Looking forward to making these. By the way, they sound lovely as is, but if you want to make something that tastes eerily similar to canned tomato soup (without all the crap ingredients) blend half a roasted acorn squash (roasted cut side down til soft and lightly caramelized) with one can of tomatoes- it’s uncanny!

17. Pingback: Make Your Own Sauerkraut Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

18. Pingback: I Crossed the 21DSD Finish Line | FROM MY PLATE

19. Madeleine

Very close to the recipe my mother and grandmother passed down to me. We always add an egg to the meat mixture and parsley, plus the secret ingredient in the sauce. Bury a cinnamon stick (must be a stick; ground cinnamon will not work) in the sauce. Delicious!

20. Jill

Great recipe! I love that you can’t even tell it’s cauliflower and not rice! It rivals my moms recipe! One thing she always added was sliced kielbasa to the top before baking, try it, it’s awesome!

21. Jazmin Rdz

I made this recupe last week and it was awsome! I doubled the recipe to freeze half, so next week I’m planning to eat cabbage rolls again ;-) I just hace a question, what do you serve this with?? I’m having trouble with the side dishes… Thanks in advance!!!

22. MParentWetmore

Dear Steph,
    I have made this twice, both times it came out wonderful! My husband and sons love it. Terrific blog and recipes, thank you.

23. Lori

My mom use to make these all the time. At some point she decided to slice/shred the cabbage, brown the meat and cook the rice first, mix it all together and bake it like a casserole!!! It’s equally as delicious :)

24. Victoria

Mine is in the oven, so excited!! used rice and fresh basil sauteed with the onions and some fresh seasonings, but it looks awesome!! family is eagerly awaiting :)

25. Denise

I want to make this to take to a family that just had a baby. Any suggestions on sides to go with it? Thanks!

Hi Denise! That’s so thoughtful of you. Is it going to be prepared ahead of time and frozen or will you be giving it to them fresh? If fresh, I’d suggested maybe a garden salad or something light to complement the dish.

26. Diane

Had my son’s wedding catered last weekend (beef & chicken), but made “pigs in the blankets” for the rehearsal dinner to keep up with my Polish family’s traditions! We always add nutmeg to the seasonings, and cook them in V-8 juice instead of tomato sauce. Delicious!

27. Pingback: Cooking Club Sunday [07/09/2014] | Clean-eating Pot-luck Gathering in our Backyard | This train called Tash

Hi Mel,

It’s hard to give an exact number of rolls because cabbages leaves vary so much in size. This will easily feed 6 adults, possibly with some leftovers if you serve a side dish. I heat them over med-low heat in a skillet (toss in a little water to create some steam) with a lid on until the centers are warm.

1. Heath

1.5 hours at 350 convection charred the tops. That being said, flavor is nice. The meat mixture would do well in many recipes.

28. Pingback: Easy Meal Planning for Modern Teachers {October} » A Modern Teacher

29. Melinda

I am from Australia and I’m not sure what exactly you mean as tomato sauce. Here tomato sauce is like ketchup there. Is pasata ok or is to liquid. Thank you. These look amazing and am really looking forward to trying the recipe.

It’s basically crushed tomatoes, but not as thick as tomato paste. I’m sorry…not sure what you guys call it!

1. Melinda

Great, thank you for the quick response. I think it is what is called tomato supreme here. Can’t wait to try these!

30. Neshia

I want to try this recipe but do the califlour fice hold up after hours in sa crock pot? Is it mushy or stay the consistency of rice?

31. Mary

My husband and I have been on low carb for 12 years. When I make the golumki, i carefully measure out the amount of rice in each cabbage roll. That alliws me to use the rice and still know exactly how many carbs are in each roll. That said, your recipe is very interesting and I think I am going to give it a try.

32. A

i make mine into meatballs. We don’t use garlic in our recipe but since my family doesn’t eat the cabbage when it is in roll form, I chop it and add some to the meatballs and the rest I sauté in the pan before browning the meatballs then add the tomato sauce with a little sweetner over the meatballs. I make pretty large meatballs so I cook them in a pan on the stove for at least an hour turning them several times.

33. Pingback: Top Low Carb Recipes Roundup, Oct. 13 -19 · Low Carb Zen

34. Paula

i just placed them in my crockpot. I don’t have a 5 hr low on my crockpot just 8 and 10 will the 8 hr work if I turn it off in 5 hours? Just want to make sure the meat is cocked.

Thanks