A couple weeks back, I went to an Oscar party with the wonderful folks from Invictus and had to think of an Oscar-themed dish to bring along. Originally, I was joking around with Tiger Burgers (a nod to Life of Pi and Richard Parker) but then I kept thinking Pi-neapple. The idea for Life of Pi-neapple Indian Rice was born.
I modified a recipe by the amazing Melissa Joulwan of Well Fed, and what I brought is the result. It looks a lot like curry rice…so realistic in fact that when I asked my pal Amy if she’d tried it, she said no because she’d thought it was real rice. The currants and cinnamon give a hint of sweet and spicy while the cilantro adds a nice fresh flavor. The batch easily doubles to serve more hungry bellies or just to have for leftovers. Pairs really well with chicken and shrimp.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- ¼ of a fresh pineapple (or ½ cup unsweetened canned pineapple)
- ½ of an onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large handful of cilantro
- Coconut oil or fat of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rice the cauliflower in a food processor. Set aside.
- Dice the pineapple into small pieces (hint: big chunks are fine but cutting it to a smaller size is a bit more appealing visually).
- Dice the onion and garlic finely. Chop the cilantro.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt a large spoonful of coconut oil. Saute the onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, almonds, currants, curry powder and cinnamon. Stir until combined well.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add another spoonful of coconut oil and dump in the cauliflower. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until it's softened but not mushy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the pineapple and cilantro. Check flavor and add salt / pepper to taste.
Pin this for later!
Have a question about this Indian Pineapple Cauliflower Rice Recipe? Leave it in the comments below!
If you’d like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, you must get written permission first. Please use the contact form to send me a message before using any of my content on your blog / website.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Stupid Easy Paleo, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.