Paleo Plantain Beef Pie

My new ebook, The Paleo Athlete, is now available ! Dial in your performance, get stronger and improve body composition for any sport with a real food approach. Includes pre- and post-workout nutrition and competition day strategies!

Paleo Plantain Beef Pie | stupideasypaleo.comPaleo Plantain Beef Pie…holy cow! After I put this dish in the oven on Sunday afternoon, I had to go down the street to the market for a couple ingredients for another recipe. I came back 15 minutes later to the most amazing smells wafting out of my apartment. This takes a bit more time than my weekday, go-to recipes, but it’s perfect for putting together on the weekend when you’re relaxed and not rushed. I honestly won’t have enough left to freeze (because the whole thing is going to be eaten), but I suspect that tightly wrapped, it would freeze quite well. This recipe is so tasty that I think it’s wise to double the ingredients and make a 13″ x 9″ dish full instead of the smaller batch, especially if you are feeding more than two people.

Paleo Plantain Beef Pie | stupideasypaleo.com

As one of my readers pointed out, this dish is popular in Caribbean cuisine and is often called pinon or pastelon. The plantains and currants add a bit of sweetness which is balanced by the olives and vinegar. Okay, my mouth just watered writing that. If you want to make this, be sure to plan ahead and check what the plantains at your market look like—here they are always super green. You’ll want slightly ripe plantains for this recipe: they should yield gently to pressure and have greenish, yellow skin with some dark spots. If you can’t find achiote powder, paprika is a good substitute. Makes an 8″ x 8″ dish. (I used two smaller dishes.)

Paleo Plantain Beef Pie | stupideasypaleo.com

Ingredients for Paleo Plantain Beef Pie (Pastelon):

Paleo Plantain Beef Pie | stupideasypaleo.com

Directions for Paleo Plantain Beef Pie (Pastelon):

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease the inside of an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with coconut oil and set aside.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef completely. Lower the heat and to the same skillet, add the red pepper, onion and bay leaf. Cook for 4–5 minutes until the veggies are softened.
  3. Add the green chilis, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, currants, olives, apple cider vinegar, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer for 10 more minutes. While this is cooking, start the plantains. (Remove the bay leaf before assembling the pie.)
  4. Peel and slice the plantains into 1/3″ diagonal pieces. To peel, cut off both ends and slice through the skin lengthwise, then peel off in sections. If any skin remains, trim it off with a knife.
  5. In another skillet (I like cast iron for this task) over medium heat, add a couple tablespoons of coconut oil and begin to brown the plantains in a single layer, about 2 minutes per side. You’ll have to do this a few times until all the plantains are golden brown. Caution: If you walk away or get distracted, these will easily burn. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
  6. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and water.
  7. Now you’re ready to assemble the pie. In the bottom of the dish, spread half the meat / veggie mixture. Pour 1/3 of the beaten egg on top. Place plantains in a single layer on top of the egg. Repeat the layers one more time and top with the remaining 1/3 of the beaten egg. (To summarize: Meat – egg – plantain – meat – egg – plantain – egg.)
  8. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let sit for 10 minutes before you slice into the pie.

Paleo Plantain Beef Pie | stupideasypaleo.com

IMG_4066

And just for fun, the old picture^^.

77 thoughts on “Paleo Plantain Beef Pie

I think butternut would be a great substitute…I’m thinking roasted would give the best result. Definitely let me know which modification you ended up going with.

1. The Dalai Loca

Hi, great recipe, This is a very common dish known at pinon or pastelon in Puerto Rico & Cuba. Just curious: why didn’t you discuss the Caribbean origin of this dish?

1. Steph

I will definitely go back and mention it, but I’ll admit I have no expertise in Caribbean cuisine (though I’d like to learn more)!

1. The Dalai Loca

Island food is terrific! Lots of avocado, mango, coconut, olives (and, and of course, meat & seafood)… all the good stuff :) and without a lot of hidden grains (mainly rice, which is easily subbed out). Have you tried mofongo? Puerto Rican tamales? (they use mashed plantain instead of cornmeal)… so much good stuff! Thanks for sharing this recipe and opening up the topic!

1. Steph

I’ve never traveled to the Caribbean but it’s high up on my list of places to visit. Experiencing a culture through its food is one of the most amazing experiences. I haven’t tried either of those but I do have a good friend who is Puertorriquena so I’m going to pick her brain! Have you spent time there? It sounds wonderful!

2. Nancy

This looks delicious! But I’m not a big fan of either currants or raisins. Do you think the dish would be as good without them, or does it need that extra touch of sweetness? Can you recommend a substitute?

1. Steph

Hi Nancy! I think it would be just as good without it. I’m thinking something like a few chopped dates or dried apricots would add a hint of sweet but I don’t think it’s necessary. The plantains, when slightly ripe, will have their own sweetness :) I’m so happy to have heard from you! Love you, DenMo!

3. Pingback: 4-21-13: Links I love | Smiles Go With Everything

4. Pingback: Weekend Link Love | Interwebtalk.com

5. Pingback: Weekend Link Love - Edition 239 | Mark's Daily Apple

6. Pingback: 05.02.13 | CrossFit 312

7. Pingback: » Ultimate CrossFit Charlotte, NC

8. Kamila Edwards

So freaking good! Seriously. I doubled this recipe and made it on a Sunday evening. The BF and I were able to eat this throughout the week. It made A LOT. Perfect for two busy people! I never cooked with plantains before and was worried b/c mine were still a bit green but they turned out great. Not very sweet… more like a potato than a banana in flavor. The only downside is it took me a long time to cook. Almost 2 hours before I could put this bad boy into the oven. Not sure if I’m just slow or if doubling the recipe just took a long time. Either way it was worth it. Thanks a bunch!

1. Steph

Hi Kamila (beautiful name, by the way)! I’m really happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Good for you for trying something new. I know it can be a risk when you take the time (and money) to buy the ingredients and cook the dish only to find out it’s not for your taste buds…but I’m SUPER glad that wasn’t the case with this one. The frying of the plantains can definitely take some time!

9. primalporvida

Just made this for dinner and it was scrumptious. The whole cave clan ate it up…i loved all the bold flavors and layers:) YUMMM

10. KT

making this now and am afraid i’m eating the plaintains as the fry! SOOO delicious–I’ve never had them before. But I know it will be worth the wait if I can just…stop…myself…from…reaching…for…one……..more!
    Thank you for the recipe!!

1. kt

It was incredible! And we’re making it again today! This time with sweet potatoes…they ran out of plaintains at the store :( Thanks for the awesome blossom recipe!

11. Pingback: Curried Plantain Patties - Guilty Kitchen

12. Yorke

Just started crossfitting and made this tonight. SO freaking good. Culinary PR. I ended up eating half the plantains as they finished frying so I finished the dish with half plantains and half sweet potato.

Ahhhhh that’s so awesome :) I’m really glad to hear! Plantains are a good healthy carb replacement. Thanks for stopping by!

13. Dean

If I was to include cheese, how and how much would you use? I eat dairy and browsing other recipes, it seems like it’s a fairly common ingredient in this dish.

Hi Dean…yes the original dish calls for cheese in each layer. I guess it depends on how cheesy you want it to be but my guess would be about 2 cups of something grated.

1. Dean

Thanks, I’ll let you know the results.

By the way, how much would you say 4-5 plantains weigh in accordance with this recipe? I bought five plantains at the store and it came out to 3.64 lbs., which seems a little high in comparison to only one lb. of ground beef.

14. sue

This dish was amazing! So many flavors going on just when your mouth thinks it knows what’s going on the flavor profile changes. This is a definite do-over for us. I shared this with a co worker who has had the dish in the Spanish culture and she LOVED this version requesting the recipe for herself.
    Thanks

Thank you, Sue! I’m really happy you liked it, and the fact that it got another thumbs up is even better!! Awesome!

15. Sarah

Hello! I’ve been semi paleo for a few weeks now and just this week I took the Whole 30 plunge. I’ve been using a lot of your recipes to get me through the week. I want to add this to my meal plan for next week. I don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t be Whole 30. Would you agree?

16. Pingback: 20 Beef Recipes to Get You Out of a Cooking Rut - Stuff Parents Need

They’re closely related but not the same. Plantains tend to be much starchier and take a very long time to ripen.

17. Jamee

This is in my oven right now and it smells amazing! It does take a bit of time to put together, but I think it’s going to be worth it. Thank you for the recipe! I can’t wait to try this delicious smelling dish. Oh and I think this would be awesome to serve to guests too for a dinner party. You could totally make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven an hour before dinner. :)

18. Jane Heard

I so want to try this but I’m allergic to eggs. Do you think I could just omit the egg or is there something I could replace it with?

19. Michelle

Has anyone tried making then freezing? Was thinking of making and assembling then instead of popping it in the oven, freezing it to take up to Christmas with my non paleo family… Have to go prepared for my husband and I so any frozen casserole type dishes are ideal! Let me know!

I think it’ll do well but I’m not 100% familiar with how plantains hold up when frozen. This recipe is on my list of ones to make again and reshoot I’ll experiment and post up how it does.

Hi Sarah…totally depends on the size of the appetite, but it’s quite filling and I got at least 4-6 dinner portions (when combined with veggies on the side) out of it.

1. Sarah

I agree with Steph, it just depends. We had enough for dinner for two people, including seconds for the hubs, and then we both had some for lunch the next day. We also supplemented with veggie sides.

This was soooo yummy!

2. Sarah

Hi Steph. Thanks so much for replying. I made this today and it is AWESOME! I think my plantains were slightly too ripe, so next time I’ll use firmer ones. But it’s still AWESOME.

Regarding portions… I’ve got 2 large dinner portions (for post-workout days) and 3 smaller portions lunch-box portions (or for rest days).

I had mine with a side of coleslaw (made using my homemade mayo, made for the first time ever!). Any other suggestions for what to serve it with?

I’m doing Whole30 for the second time, starting tomorrow. I reckon this is Whole30 compliant, isn’t it?

Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

Love it!! Sometimes they can get a little bit smooshy, for sure. Ah perfect! That’s about what I got out of mine.

I would love it with some cauliflower rice or maybe some sauteed kale or spinach. It’s definitely Whole30-friendly!

20. Megan

Wow this recipe was awesome until I baked it for an hour:(. It dried out significantly and lost a lot of flavor. I will make this again but cut the time in half. The only thing you are adding is egg and typical egg casseroles cook 30-40 minutes.

21. Kersti

The recipe says black or green olives. Since the flavor in these two types is so different, is there one that you recommend more than the other?

22. Pingback: 30+ Primal and Paleo Pie recipes - The Real Food Guide

23. Kristine

I made this on the weekend and it was amazing! There was enough left overs for lunch and a couple servings to freeze for another time. I will be making this again very soon!!

24. Pingback: Day 26 | A Step In The Right Direction