Apple Cinnamon Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Hash

Apple Cinnamon Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Hash |stupideasypaleo.com Sometimes inspiration can come from anywhere if you’re open to it, and this one is no exception. I stopped by the local Whole Foods yesterday after stalking looking up the calendar of my favorite food truck, Not So Fast Food. The owners, Bob and June, 1) cook some damn tasty food; 2) completely get the Paleo / Primal way of life; and 3) are the nicest freaking people on the planet. After chatting with Bob, he gave me a taste of a new dish he’s working on and while I can tell you this isn’t exactly same, this recipe is inspired by what he gave me. Consider it a little treat of those of you who may never get to San Diego to visit.

I *did* add a dash of pure maple syrup as a finishing touch, but please feel free to omit if you’re on a Whole30, 21 Day Sugar Detox or similar. One way to speed this dish’s prep time is to shred a few sweet potatoes and store them in the fridge. I used a shredding blade on my food processor but you could use a box grater or even dice them very finely by hand. I prefer to cook my bacon separately; instead, you could render the chopped bacon and then use that fat to fry the potatoes. Ghee makes it taste better to me so that’s what I use instead.

Prep time: 10 min     Cook time: 10 min    Makes: 2 cups

Ingredients for Apple Cinnamon Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Hash

• 2 cups of shredded sweet potato or yams
  • 1/2 of an apple, chopped
  • 3 pieces of bacon, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup, optional
  • Sea salt to taste
  • Ghee, bacon fat or fat of choice

Directions for Apple Cinnamon Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Hash

1. In a skillet over medium heat, render / cook the bacon until it’s crispy. You can save the fat to cook the rest of the ingredients or pour off the fat and start over with a spoonful of ghee, coconut oil, etc.
  2. Add the sweet potato to the pan, cooking on medium heat until they begin to get golden brown.
  3. Add the apples and stir until they soften, about 3-4 minutes.
  4. Season with the maple syrup, cinnamon and sea salt, to taste.

Bonus: For a one-skillet meal, remove the hash to a plate, then quickly wilt some spinach. Remove the spinach to the same plate, then fry or scramble eggs in the same pan.

36 thoughts on “Apple Cinnamon Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Hash

1. Bo

We just made this and it was incredible!!! I have to admit that it was WAY out of my comfort zone. I did not think it would taste good, but I was dead wrong. Amazing is the only way to describe it. We did put 2 fried eggs over the top. The combination of sweet and salty put my taste buds into overdrive. We are going to make this for the kids. This is going to be a definite staple in the Sutherland household.

1. Steph

Hey Bo and Stacey! Thanks for taking a chance and putting some faith in me ;) I’m really, really happy to hear that you guys loved it so much. I made this again for breakfast today and had it with eggs, too! I’ll bet that the kids are going to like it.

2. sharonkraber@me.com

Please, please, please have the option to format your recipes for printing. Yes I know I can copy and paste into another program and then print the recipe only but frankly I seldom feel it’s worth the trouble especially if I’m on my iPad. Other bloggers do this so I know it can be done.

3. Lori

Do you pre-cook the sweet potatoes before pan frying them? I’m getting the idea from your recipe that you grate them while they’re still raw, and then put them directly into the pan for frying. This sounds so delicious that I have to try it.

Hi Lori…for this application I normally put them in the pan raw, yes! It’s one of my favorite recipes.

4. Lisa

I’m wondering what your thoughts are on the bacon and the Paleo menu. The bacon that I’m finding in Austin has a sugar as an ingredient. I didn’t find any Applewood products without it. Do you think it’s a negligible amount?

Hi Lisa…great question. I usually think of bacon as a condiment and try to stick to just a couple pieces at a time. I’m not an “eat a pound of bacon at one sitting” girl. Applegate contains sugar from what I know (most brands do). If it’s far down on the ingredients list it won’t usually contain a lot.

5. Melissa

I’m in San Diego and am a food truck junkie! I haven’t seen the one you mentioned. Ever since going Paleo I have been missing going to food truck gatherings.

6. Saylor

I’ve made this hash several times, but I just made this for my parents and little brother for breakfast for the first time – I’m trying to get them to hop aboard the Paleo train. They absolutely LOVED this dish. I was hoping for leftovers, but they practically licked their plates clean. Thank you so much for this amazing recipe!

Getting the family on board is HUGE! Looks like you’re taking the first step. Very well done, Saylor! You’re so welcome.

7. Kelli

I love this! I recently completed my first Whole30 and am so tired of eggs. I made this with sugar-free/nitrate-free bacon (from a local farm) and omitted the maple syrup. Topped it with 2 fried eggs and I love eggs again! Absolutely fabulous!

Hi Kelli! Sometimes I get that way with eggs, too so I’m really happy you liked it. I honestly never use the maple either. I’m glad I helped renew your appreciation for eggs!

8. 2Rae

This is everything my husband likes all together (except he’d like pancakes too). I wonder if I made it all up, made it into a little pie crust in muffin tins, add egg and bake… may have to try that. Cutting up some soft dates might make the syrup unnecessary?
    Thanks!

9. Kathy Anne

Due to celiac and food allergies to dairy, potato and corn in our household (plus one Weight Watcher), Paleo diet works great! Really appreciate the recipes and can’t wait to try this one (sweet potatoes/yams are OK!!!)

10. Michelle

Hi! I hope this isn’t a dumb question, but how long would the shredded sweet potato last in the fridge, if trying to shorten the prep time? Couple of days? Thanks!

Definitely…they’ll last for a couple days, shredded. I often find the orange sweet potatoes do better when they’re shredded and allowed to sit in the fridge for at least a day because they dry out a bit and make a better hash!

11. Barbara

I added an onion and a handfull of raisins . I loved it !! Thank you for this quick and easy recipe !

12. Alice

I have been wanting to try this one for a long time, and finally had the time today for lunch! Super tasty with 2 scrambled eggs on top. I’m glad to read in another comment that the sweet potato can last in the fridge, as I may have grated a little too much… So breakfast tomorrow is now sorted! Thanks for the great recipes Steph! Can’t wait for the new cookbook!