Chocolate Orange Naked Bars

Chocolate Orange Naked Bars | stupideasypaleo.com Okay, so these are actually called Cocoa Orange Nakd Bars, but I didn’t want to infringe on anyone’s trademark (and I figured I’d get more hits for having “naked” in the title) so I added the “e”. Clever!

When I was in Scotland, it became pretty clear that getting Paleo-friendly snacks on the go was as easy as it is here in the States. Read: virtually impossible. Craig and I were in Tesco or Sainsbury’s (Tesbury’s?) when he chucked a couple of these my way. A quick scan of the ingredients revealed nothing offensive…just a simple quartet of dates, cocoa, orange and almonds. Now, who knows if the orange is just orange flavoring or not, but they seemed pretty benign. Recently, though, I endeavored to recreate this treat, and I think the outcome is even better than the original. They’re kinda sorta Lara bar-y but better, I think. I’d file these under the “treat” category since they are high in natural sugar from the dates. Definitely not ideal for the Whole30 crowd, but an occasional indulgence for the rest of you.

Disclaimer: you’ll either need a food processor or the patience of a saint (if you chop the ingredients by hand) to make these.

Prep time: 15 min     Freeze time: 20 min    Makes: 8″ x 8″ pan

Ingredients for Chocolate Orange Naked Bars

• 1-1/2 cups of nuts (I used 1 cup almonds + 1/2 cup macadamia…baller status, I know. Use whatever you like or is on hand.)
  • 20 Medjool dates (these are the big, fat, squishy ones)
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • Zest of one large orange
  • 1 Tbsp orange juice
  • Pinch of sea salt

Directions for Chocolate Orange Naked Bars

1. Line an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with plastic wrap or wax paper. Set aside.
  2. Add the nuts to the food processor and pulse down until they become small, crumbly bits. Don’t let it go too long or it will become nut butter – er, not that there’s anything wrong with that but it won’t help this recipe. Some pieces may be a bit bigger and some might be tiny. That’s okay. Pour the nuts in a large bowl.
  3. Now, pit the dates and put them in the food processor. Pulse about 5 times until they are slightly broken down.
  4. Add the cocoa powder, orange zest, orange juice and sea salt.
  5. Process until the dates form a huge chocolatey ball.
  6. Now, with clean hands: add the chocolatey dates to the nuts and combine both together. You’ll have to knead pretty well but keep at it.
  7. Once all the nuts are blended in, you’ll take the lump of deliciousness and put it in the baking dish. Press the mixture into the dish until it’s packed down and smooth.
  8. Freeze for 20 minutes until firm.
  9. Turn out the mixture onto a cutting board and chop into pieces as big or small as you’d like. I usually make 12 bars from one dish.
  10. I individually wrap them. They can be frozen for a couple months if packed to withstand freezer burn. If not, store in the fridge for short term use.

42 thoughts on “Chocolate Orange Naked Bars

1. Steph

Haha! Sometimes I entertain myself a little too much when I write up my recipes ;) Thanks for checking in. Hope you like them!

1. Kellie

Wow! I’ve been looking for something quick, no fuss and delicious…So, so delicious!! Plus it gave me a chance to break in the new processor! Thanks for such yummy recipe :-D

Hi Mike, I splurged on this one and used cocoa from Penzey’s but any cocoa powder will work. Use whatever you have available though the higher the quality, the more chocolately it tends to taste.

2. Rachel

I’m confused. “So these are actually called Cocoa Orange Nakd Bars”… is this recipe a recreation of something else? A reference to something I’m not familiar with? Is Nakd a brand?

3. Yvonne Koester

Steph, does it matter if you use “regular” dates instead of Medjool dates? Medjools are so expensive up here in the Pacific NW.

4. Fabrizio (Fab)

Thanks ever so much for this, I use to spend a fortune on Nakd bars now I can do them at home, as I write this I’ve got my first batch in the freezer ! :) I don’t have a food processor but I found that if you chop the dates finely then it works, I bought two sorts of almonds chopped and flour and mixed them up. Even if the ingredients seemed expensive the yield is higher and it costs half the price of the shop bought ones. Brilliant ! Thank you, Fab

Hi Fab!! Yay! That’s music to my ears, and I’m glad you were able to do it without a food processor. I’m going to look into some of the other flavors when I get there, though I remember the rhubarb custard flavor had no rhubarb in it!! Glad you liked them.

5. Jennifer

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Scotland. I am an American living in Aberdeen. Been in the UK for 16 years now. Certainly not an easy task being Paleo up here, though we do have a local Grass Feed Beef farm shop 2 miles aways. Nakd bars have helped my kids break their sugar addition. So glad you came up with a homemade version. Looking forward to trying them, and it will be cheaper :-)

Hi Jennifer! It’s quite different compared to home, isn’t it? Ohhhh lucky on the grassfed beef though! Here in central Glasgow, I’ve been having a hard time finding higher quality meat unless I go to Marks & Spencer. I’m going to see if I can make a few of the other flavors. Hope you like them!

1. lulu

Try Waitrose – all their meat is GM feed free I believe. Also Sainsbury’s does a good organic range, Tesco has a slightly smaller range. I’ve found farmers markets easily in different cities and towns (never lived in Glasgow) where you can find ethical meat & veg. Things are labelled differently here which may be why you’re finding it difficult (eg. ‘outdoor bred’/’free range organic’/’biodynamic’ instead of ‘pastured’ & ‘grass fed’). The UK has a very large production and import of organic goods – I’d hazard a guess a higher percentage of the food market here is organic than the US, and its definitely higher welfare. Feeling lazy so not gonna research the organic market share right now :)
        Although ‘standard’ or the average meat in the UK is higher welfare and better quality than the average meat found in the US (because Britain and Ireland never got to the point (yet) where CAFOs for cattle etc were standard practice), GM feed has started to get into some supermarkets’ animal feed in the last couple years :(
        No GM crops are grown in Britain, and only is approved in the while EU I think … And it doesn’t look like Scotland ever wants GM —

6. Christine Nolan

I made these tonight for the family. I like them! The orange is a great twist. We added sliced banana to the top as it wasn’t set hard enough by the time we were ready to eat. Turned out delish! Thanks :)

7. Pamela

Hi Steph,
    Thanks for the recipe, if using regular dates about how much,half a cup a cup?
    I have changed to a healthier eating lifestyle (I don’t like the word diet, seems so negative)
    A cross between Paleo and Gluten free, going Gluten free has helped me tremendously with daily aches and pains in my joints and my acid reflux has disappeared using this eating combination.
    I am a Baker and cake decorator so it’s been hard to find desserts that work for company & family.
    I’m usually ok with fruit. I hope to see more dessert ideas and come up with some myself.
    This is still all very new for me a few months in but I also dropped 35 lbs with out ever working out, the weight just melted off.

Hi Pamela…you’re a woman after my own heart. I used to decorate cakes, too!

That’s very heartwarming to hear all the positive changes you’ve experienced, and I hope it continues for you.

Would you be a bit more specific about what you mean by regular dates? I’ll get an answer to you right away. Thank you!

8. Alison

That is not paleo! It has a massive amount of sugar. Try testing your blood sugar an hour after eating this, it will be way up in the diabetic zone.

9. Pingback: The Nutty Scoop from Nuts.com » Blog Archive 5 Recipes for Paleo Desserts

10. Pingback: Real Food Travel Snacks for Kids | Whole Green Love

I get them from my local market. They sometimes come pitted, sometimes not. Whatever variety you can find should work, but the really tiny ones are sometimes really tough for the food processor to break down.

11. Kevin thorp

Wow, just made these and there super good! It’s crazy how just a few ingredients can make such a great tasting snack.

12. Pingback: 5 Recipes for Paleo Desserts

13. wendy

Love this recipe!! Made my second batch with 2 Tbs of dried cranberries. Cranberry/orange is one of my favorite flavors. These are easy to make and way more cost effective! Thanks so much for sharing!

14. Pingback: My Top 10 Paleo Snacks For Air Travel – Ancestral Chef