Yes? I thought so!
It’s not too good to be true, it’s just ceviche – a dish of seafood that’s “cooked” using citrus juices and served up with ingredients like tomato, jalapeño and avocado. YUM. Last year, I posted a recipe for ceviche – along with one of the first videos I ever made…eeeek – and recently, I created a different one with shrimp that came out just as good (if not better).
Since I cook for just one person, I only used 1/2 lb. of shrimp but you can easily double the recipe or more. Plan the day (or morning) ahead so you can give the ceviche enough time to “cook”. If you don’t like shrimp, you can substitute scallops or firm white fish. Rumor has it that the juice from the marinade is a hangover cure though I haven’t tested that theory yet 😉
Prep time: 15-20 min Cook time: 6+ hours Makes: ~3 cups
Ingredients for Simple Shrimp Ceviche
- /2 lb. (~250 g) raw shrimp
- large tomato, diced
- garlic clove, minced
- /2 a jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- /2 an avocado, cubed
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 limes
- /4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and devein the shrimp, if necessary. Chop the shrimp into small pieces.
- Prepare the veggies: dice the tomato, mince the garlic and jalapeño, and cube the avocado. If you want the ceviche to be spicier, you can leave the seeds in or add more jalapeño.
- Mix the shrimp, tomato, garlic, jalapeño and avocado in a bowl. Squeeze the citrus juice on top and combine. There should be enough liquid to cover the shrimp.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until the shrimp has turned from translucent to opaque.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and top with chopped cilantro.
If you'd like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, you must get express written permission first. Please use the contact form to send me a message before using any of my content on your blog / website! Failure to do so is a copyright violation.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Stupid Easy Paleo, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.