Sweet and Savory Blueberry Tortilla

Sweet and Savory Blueberry Tortilla | stupideasypaleo.com

Blueberries and eggs were meant to be together! This is a riff on a Spanish tortilla – a cooked egg dish with potatoes and onion. Instead of those traditional ingredients, I used the technique of making a tortilla and simply added blueberries, coconut aminos and a few spices, and the result was a little bit sweet, a little bit savory.

If you’re going to make a tortilla, be sure to keep the heat low enough to keep the eggs from burning, and you need some cojones when it comes to flipping the eggs! Confidence is key! The pan will be hot, so don’t burn yourself, silly…but don’t hesitate either. You want the tortilla to come out in one beautiful round piece of eggy heaven.

The coconut aminos really add that savory, umami flavor but if you don’t have them, you could just use a dash (1/8 tsp) of salt though it won’t be the same.

Prep time: 5 min     Cook time:  15 min    Makes: 1 serving

Ingredients for Sweet and Savory Blueberry Tortilla

Directions for Sweet and Savory Blueberry Tortilla

1. Crack the eggs into a bowl and scramble with the coconut aminos, cinnamon and pepper.
  2. In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the ghee or coconut oil.
  3. Pour the eggs into the pan and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes undisturbed. Sprinkle the blueberries onto the eggs.
  4. Cook for about 6-8 more minutes on low. Throughout that time, using the edge of a spatula, lift up the tortilla (eggs) and allow some of the liquid eggs to flow underneath. When most of the egg is cooked through, you’re ready to flip the tortilla.
  5. You need confidence here!! Remove the skillet from the heat, and put a small plate upside down on top of the skillet. Quickly flip the skillet over and the tortilla should fall out onto the plate. Be careful not to burn yourself!
  6. Now, slide the tortilla back into the skillet and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
  7. Eat. That was exciting, wasn’t it?!

41 thoughts on “Sweet and Savory Blueberry Tortilla

1. Cyndi

I had another friend recommend combining blueberries and eggs a few months ago, but I just couldn’t wrap my mind around it then. Now…I’m trying this today!!

2. Vika

Ohmygoodness, made this for breakfast (with frozen blueberries – be careful, they splatter a little!), and my mouth is in shock….soooooo good! Thank you for sharing!!

“My mouth is in shock…” < – one of the best commments I’ve ever gotten, Vika! So happy to hear this :)

3. Kelley

THIS ROCKS FOR BREAKFAST. Period. (I was going to write something eloquent, but it just wouldn’t have done the trick.)

PS – I started out like “Oh, I’ll eat half and save the rest for tomorrow.” Did. Not. Happen. :) Thanks Steph!

4. Clare

Made a modified version of this today: omlette + blueberries in coconut oil. then sprinkled with salt and lots of cinnamon after. Kale, fresh squeezed orange juice and banana smoothie on the side. Yeah real foods!

Hi Clare….that sounds really tasty. I love it when readers let me know how they made my recipes their own!

5. Pingback: Day 7: Whole30 | Fat Grits Running

6. LarryB

I just made this – very, very good! I just bought some local, organic blueberries at the supermarket and I needed a way to use them that wouldn’t encourage me to eat the whole pint at once. This recipe came along at just the right time.

It makes good use of the coconut aminos, a product I often find unsatisfying. I was also dubious about the amount of cinnamon, but it worked! I added a pinch of Pimenton de la Vera (Spanish smoked paprika), maybe 1/16 tsp and a tsp of vanilla extract. It also inspired a tiny, but I think worthwhile cheat – I put < 1 tsp of honey on top. (I measured to be sure.)

Oh, and a pinch of salt went into the eggs. Always add salt to eggs – it helps keep them tender and brings out the flavors of everything else, even sweet-ish dishes like this one.

I'll definitely make this again. I might also add a tiny grating of nutmeg.

Larry, those are all awesome modifications! Love the idea of the nutmeg :) And, oh, I’m obsessed with smoked paprika!

7. Mimi

I was both intrigued and suspicious of this recipe. Made it today and quite liked it. Felt like eating a more virtuous blueberry pancake. I love your site. Thank you!

Hi there Mimi! I’m so glad you gave it a shot and that you liked it :) Thank you so kindly. It is kind of pancake-like, right?! One of my readers said she added a little bit of coconut flour (just a spoonful or so) and it make the texture a bit more firm. Have a great day!

8. Leann

Wonderful! I’ve always been a big fan of sweetness + eggs; this is another great recipe to add to my list. Thanks so much for posting!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Diandra Tavarez

I was craving savory and sweet, then I saw this recipe and had to try it. Delicious! I just finished eating it and my stomach is more than happy right now!

Hi Diandra! I’m really glad to hear this. It’s consistently one of my favorite recipes and I’m glad I could share it with you!

10. morgan

Flip that egg!!! It’s all in the elbow not the wrist. Shift the skillet forward to rear horizontally not vertically.

How easy is that?! :-)

11. Dawn

I’ve been wanting to try this for months and I was always on the fence about putting blueberries in my eggs but the other day I just went for it and it is by far one of the best things I’ve eaten for breakfast in a long time- I really wish I would have tried it sooner! (it’s also really good plain with just blueberries and ghee)
    Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

12. Dara

Eggs with almond butter are really good too…throwing blueberries in the with the almond butter would be amazing!! Yum!!! Thanks for sharing!

13. Pingback: Sweet & Savory Blueberry Tortilla {Whole30}

14. Pingback: My Whole30 Diary: Days 0-3 | Candid Nikki

15. Jessica

What in the world?! I just made this as an omelette since I only had 2 eggs left and I’m confused but excited about how good this tastes. What an amazing sweet breakfast option for when my roommate offers me sweet banana bread!

16. Pingback: Whole 30 Plan: Week 1 Plan | Life After College

17. Pingback: Day 7 and 8 | thehoots2010

18. Pingback: Days 3 & 4 and I’m Not Dead Yet | whole30inyogapants

19. elizabeth

This is so good! I’m on day four of the Whole 30 and already tired of eggs but wasn’t like eating eggs! In the future, I’ll cut it in half because it’s a bit much for me, but now I have a snack for later. Thanks for the recipe!

20. Pingback: Peach and Cherry Frittata | Plaid & Paleo