Umami basically describes the savory taste present in foods like soy sauce (ick), mushrooms and even some veggies. This recipe is very simple to make: start with a batch of fresh olive oil mayo and then season it with coconut aminos and fish sauce to give it that umami flavor. Nice!
I follow Melissa Joulwan’s basic olive oil mayo recipe because well, she rules and so does her mayo recipe. You can find it here: The Secret to Homemade Mayo? Patience.
- 1/4 cup of prepared olive oil mayo from Melissa Joulwan’s recipe (her recipe makes 1-1/4 cups total. I usually don’t flavor the whole batch so I can customize my mayo depending on the dishes I’m making.)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of coconut aminos
- Dash of Red Boat fish sauce
- Stir the plain olive oil mayo, coconut aminos and fish sauce together in a small bowl. Will keep in the fridge until the expiration date of the egg you used to make your mayo.
- Goes well with burgers, my Paleo Banh Mi Sliders or Paleo Fresh Spring Rolls.