Coconut Milk Latte

Coconut Milk Latte | stupideasypaleo.com Since many of you are rocking along on your Whole30 (day 10 here!), you may be looking for alternatives to creamer in your morning coffee. I’m used to heavy cream in mine, and the thought of drinking black coffee makes me want to cry – no offense, black coffee lovers – so here’s my simple solution: coconut milk.

Be sure to stick to full-fat coconut milk in a can. Why? “Lite” coconut milk is just watered down full-fat, so you may as well buy the real deal, water it down yourself, and save some money. Coconut milk in a carton is usually highly processed and contains some not-so-fun chemicals. Recently, I found “coconut cream” at my local Sprouts and much to my delight, it’s just ultra-thick coconut milk. Win. Don’t like coconut? Make some extra-rich almond milk by following my recipe here and cutting the water back to 3 cups (or less).

I’m a huge fan of iced coffee but since coconut milk – with its high fat content – seizes up when added to coffee (science!), I blend my coffee hot and then refrigerate it.

Credit for this frothy delight goes to my dear friend Jen, co-owner of CrossFit Oregon City and creator of Jen’s Gone Paleo.

Ingredients for Coconut Milk Latte

Directions for Coconut Milk Latte

1. Pour the coffee into a blender along with the coconut milk.  Coconut Milk Latte | stupideasypaleo.com

2. Blend on medium-high for about a minute, or until the coconut milk is completely incorporated. Coconut Milk Latte | stupideasypaleo.com

3. Pour into a mug or serve over ice. You can spoon the frothed coconut milk on top for some “foam”.  Coconut Milk Latte | stupideasypaleo.com Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.

4. Adjust the amount of coconut milk to your taste buds…you may want more or less.

I always get lots of questions about these blue Mason jars…aren’t they awesome?! I got mine >> here.

60 thoughts on “Coconut Milk Latte

1. bethp262

This sounds really good! I love iced coffee and have been drinking it black, but this might be a nice change of pace!

I’ve tried so hard to like black coffee but I just don’t enjoy it! This has helped change that ;)

2. keet

oh, thank you. i usually “have a little coffee with my cream” so my first attempt at enjoying a cup of black coffee during my whole30 didn’t result in tears, but it did involve some gagging & spitting followed by some expletives & i believe a loud proclamation of, “eewww, black coffee tastes like sh**!” ;P Yesterday was just wishing for a nice glass of iced coffee (day 16) & last night i had placed an order for a huge case of coconut milk from amazon, so imagine my delight to wake up to this recipe from you in my email. thank you. summer is saved. I hope I don’t attack the UPS guy when he shows up on my doorstep with my coconut milk & rip the box out of his hand. HA! Maybe I should post a sign, “Never mind the dog. Beware: Whole30 in progress. Set the box down & step away slowly.” :D

Haha! You cracked me up because I know exactly how you feel…I’ve thought the same things! Just be sure to blend with the coconut milk while the coffee is still hot (then chill it) for best results. If not, the coconut milk can separate if you try to blend it cold. Glad I helped!!

3. Pingback: Whole30 Halfway Point Check In | Stupid Easy Paleo

4. Nikki

I have a batch of iced coffee in my fridge. Do you think if I blend the coconut milk in my Ninja single serve, it will combine with the cold coffee? I know you said it seizes up in a cold beverage, but do you think the blender will solve that?

Hi Nikki…when I make it in the blender and the coffee is cold, it separates. You can give it a try and see if it’ll work, but I’ve never had luck with it that way.

2. Liz

I have adjusted to actually kinda liking black coffee (most preferably with a half a pouch of almond butter on the side), but when I first started I would microwave the coconut milk to get rid of the chunkiness before pouring it in my coffee. Don’t know if it would help with cold coffee / hot coconut milk.

5. Darcy Turner

Thank you for this recipe. I almost started my first Whole30 this week, but I chickened out because of the coffee issue (and because I wanted to read the book first). Now, I’m confident that I can handle it. Thanks!

6. Lindsay

I made this recently and it was so good! I normally drink my coffee black, but I have a hard time drinking iced coffee black. This made it really tasty. Thanks for the great recipe!

Hi Lindsay! Love the name of your site by the way :) ME TOO! I’m the same way…iced coffee is my favorite but drinking it black is such a bummer. I’m happy to have helped. Rock on!!

7. beth

Sounds delish! I’ve been using coconut milk in my coffee since my whole30, but I’ve never tried combining it with a blender. That would be really good!!

Hi Beth! The blender makes all the difference :) Helps to emulsify the coconut, which can get chunky as you probably know. Thanks for stopping by!

8. Sammy

Cinnamon is a great addition! I never thought of that. This is my coffee concoction:

1 shot espresso
    5-6 ice cubes
    1/2 banana
    1/3 c trader Joe’s light coc milk(Not a fan of the full fat canned)

blend. YUM! I usually drink this with my post wod workout meal.

9. Marshmallow

I made this last night and brought it to work this morning. YUM!! I’ve been trying to find a way to reduce my dairy intake and I wasn’t quite ready to go to black coffee, this is just perfect. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! :D

10. AnneB

I’ve been doing this for a while but on a per-serving basis. Just brew my Kuerig into my Magic Bullet cup with a tablespoon (ish) of coconut cream concentrate. Blend & pour in my travel mug…off to work! So yummy!!

11. lorri

JUST made this and its great! Used New Mexico Piñon coffee, coconut milk and a little bit of coconut sugar and it was out of this world. Thanks for the recipe. I would have never tried it without following you on Facebook!

12. Pingback: Whole30 – Round 2 – Day 10 | Running our Race

13. Pingback: Immune Boosting Hot Buttered Whiskey, Rum, or Cider.

14. Pingback: 6 Easy Paleo Recipe Ingredient Swaps Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

15. Patty

Thirteen days into whole30 for the first time and feeling pretty good getting the black coffee down. I just grew weary of it so googled “whole30 coconut latte” and found this post. Brewed a cu of joe, popped open a can of coconut milk, stirred it up, plopped a couple of tablespoons into my coffee. Now only because I am lazy I used my handheld battery operated drink mixer from IKEA to mix up this frothy, tasty piece of heaven. Added the cinnamon for a bonus. Thanks!

16. Pingback: How to turn your morning coffee into breakfast, save money, and possibly help stave off some chronic diseases | Leesa Kli

17. bri

hi there – just came across this. i know it’s been a while since the post, but wondering if you have any ideas for HOT coffee. i adore my morning (and sometimes evening) coffee – but just can’t bring myself to drink it cold. even in the scorching Florida summers. i love, love love coconut and almond milk – but they don’t seem to work in coffee. fearful i have to give up coffee to rid myself of dairy. ugh…ideas welcome!

18. Lindsay

Have you ever tried chocolate coconut milk with iced coffee?? do you think that would work? I used to drink iced mocha with extra cream and sugar from dunkin donuts like everyday (I know…such a bad girl!!)…but I have very proudly been paleo for the past 35 days now…it has killed me not to have a mocha-ish coffee…lol! It is really the only thing I miss! Do you think it would taste funny, or do you think I should just try it and see? :) Or do you know of any chocoltae flavored syrups with no sugar or artificial sweeteners? Thanks!

Here’s what I would do: to hot coffee, add the coconut milk and some cocoa powder or cacao, then blend.

Then let it cool and pour over ice.

All the good stuff with nothing fake!

19. Pingback: MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH PALEO STYLE | Beauty and the Box | Exploring crossfit, health and beauty one blog post at a time

20. Nancy Goveia

Hi, I am day 10 into my whole30 and managing with black coffee – but missed my lattes! I saw some other recipes and all called for coconut oil and canned coconut milk. I don’t know if that is for the healthy fat content or why… But this is the first one without the oil (which I don’t have at work with me). No oil needed, correct?? I am going to make this in the next hour or so and give it a whirl. Thanks!

No coconut oil needed! Usually when you see coconut oil plus another fat it tends to be something like butter (a la Bulletproof Coffee).

1. Nancy Goveia

Got it – Thanks!! I made it with just the coconut milk and then added ice after blended – i need to make the coffee stronger. I’m looking forward to playing around with it to get it just right. Thanks again for posting.

21. Pingback: Iced Coffee & Perfect Timing | The Thrive Life

22. Jen

Thank you for this!! I am on W30 day 3 – and I’ve been struggling with adding two healthy fats at every meal. I wasn’t sure how to use coconut milk, particularly at breakfast, but this did the trick. And it is delicious!! I need to use more coffee because the thick consistency was a bit much for me first thing in the morning – came out like melted coffee ice cream! But this was a serious “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!” moment. :)

23. Pingback: Long Absence | Enduring Food

24. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday #1 | The Thrive Life

25. Pingback: Skip the Coffee House: 20 Coffee House-Inspired Recipes | Cavewife Cooks

26. Jessica

Sounds delicious! We rarely plan ahead enough to allow the coffee to cool, so this morning we poured coconut milk straight from the can into some french press coffee. I love black coffee, but it’s a little acidic for me. I only allow myself a few sips before adding a creamer. Full-fat coconut milk definitely protects my stomach from an acidic brew. This post has inspired me to make a pot ahead of time and try this!

1. Candace Ricciardi

Hi Jessica,

I’m glad this inspired you! Have you ever tried a cold brew system for coffee? Cold brewing coffee tends to reduce it’s acidity quite a bit. :)

1. Jessica

Candace, I have heard that “cold brew” lowers the acidity, but I’ve never tried it. I’m not even sure how it really works. Is it a special setup, or can you put cold water in a french press? Usually, I make hot coffee with a french press, and I do notice less issues with acidity using that as opposed to a drip coffee maker.

On a side note, anyone know how to tell when canned coconut milk goes bad? I opened a can 4 days ago and it looks OK, smells OK, but when I taste it, it has a “chemical” taste which I thought was weird. It came from a can, but I stored it in glass after opening…

Thanks!

27. Clare

Must give this ago, sounds great, although I have just bought the carton coconut milk as I can’t seem to buy any coconut milk in bpa free cans here in Australia. I tried heating my coconut milk and it was horrible, not sure if it was because it’s the carton (off the shelf) that makes it taste funny once heated, so I’ll be keen to see how this tastes ;)