Slow cooker mocha-rubbed pot roast. What’s not to love already?
You’re probably thinking, “Coffee? Pot roast? What?!” but rest assured that it’s not like downing a cup of joe. The coffee adds a subtle depth of flavor that the spices alone can’t achieve. The end result was fall-apart tender.
Be sure to select a roast that’s not ultra-lean. You want some fat marbled through the meat to prevent it from drying out.
If you have time, I highly recommend taking the liquid from the crock pot and reducing it down by boiling until it becomes thicker. It’s nice to drizzle on top, almost like a gravy. Of course, if you’re in a rush, you can skip that step. If you don’t have access to this awesome cold-brew coffee, and java will do. This recipe is easily doubled.
- For the Mocha Rub (you will have extra)
- 2 tbsp finely ground coffee beans
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper (or sweet paprika)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For the Roast
- 2 lb. beef roast (I used grass-fed chuck)
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 6 dried figs, chopped
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Prepare the mocha rub by mixing together the finely ground coffee, smoked paprika, black pepper, cocoa powder, Aleppo pepper (sub: sweet paprika), chili powder, ground ginger and salt in a small bowl. You won't use the entire batch if you're making a 2-pound roast. It stores well in an airtight container.
- Pat the beef roast dry with a paper towel. Spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons of the mocha rub mixture over the roast and rub it in well with your hands.
- Combine the brewed coffee, beef broth, onion, figs, and balsamic vinegar in a blender. Puree until liquified.
- Pour the liquid into the crock pot and place the roast gently on top.
- Cook for 5 to 6 hours on low.
- Remove the meat and shred with two forks. You can then boil the liquid until it reduces and thickens or simply serve as is. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste.
Pin this Slow Cooker Mocha-Rubbed Pot Roast Recipe for later!
If you'd like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, you must get written permission first. Please use the contact form to send me a message before using any of my content on your blog / website.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Stupid Easy Paleo, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.