Recently, I picked up a package of ground wild boar meat from Sprouts and was trying to think of something that would go with the peach mango chutney simmering away on my stovetop. Coconut popped into my head but instead of putting it on the outside, I mixed it into the burger meat.
If you don’t have access to wild boar – which is hard to find in some places – pork or chicken would certainly be great substitutes. I used unsweetened shredded coconut, and the texture was just perfect. Double your batch and make extras for your weekly food prep day.
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 10 min Makes: 1 lb. of burgers
Ingredients for Coconut Wild Boar Burger
- 1 lb. of ground wild boar or pork
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Fat of choice (ghee, coconut oil, lard, etc)
Directions for Coconut Wild Boar Burger
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Gently mix to combine. Don’t overwork the meat or it’ll get tough, and the burgers will be dense.
- Shape into small patties (I got about 6 out of a pound of meat). You could certainly make larger burgers or smaller sliders.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a spoonful of your fat of choice – I used ghee because of its very high smoke point – and cook for 3-4 min per side or until completely cooked through.
- Serve with your choice of burger fixins’…I used lettuce, tomato and a tasty peach mango chutney.