Simple Paleo Tortillas

Simple Paleo Tortillas | stupideasypaleo.comAre simple Paleo tortillas really possible?! If you’re looking for a really easy Paleo version of a flour tortilla – or a French crepe – look no further. These are pretty much foolproof and are much more flexible than other Paleo tortillas I’ve tried before that mostly use coconut flour as a base. I had a huge bag of arrowroot powder to use up (a gluten-free flour alternative) so this fit the bill quite well.

Simple Paleo Tortillas | stupideasypaleo.com

These Paleo tortillas hold up to folding or rolling and can be used in sweet or savory applications, and it’s easy to make a double or triple batch in advance and save them for upcoming meals. They’d also be perfect for making up some tasty lunches on the go, and I think they’d be super popular with kids (of all ages)!

Update: I tested these to see how well they’d freeze. I rolled the tortillas up, froze them, and they thawed flexible and easy to fold!

Makes: Three 8″ tortillas

Ingredients for Simple Paleo Tortillas

Directions for Simple Paleo Tortillas

1. Crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl and whisk in the melted ghee and water.
  2. Add the dry ingredients—arrowroot, coconut flour and salt—and beat well to combine.  Simple Paleo Tortillas | stupideasypaleo.com
  3. In a small (8″) skillet over medium heat, pour in about 1/3 of the batter and immediately roll it around to evenly coat the bottom. The tortilla should start to pull away from the edges as it cooks. Simple Paleo Tortillas | stupideasypaleo.com
  4. Cook for 1 minute on each side.
  5. If saving for later, cool completely and store in a plastic bag or airtight glass container. Simple Paleo Tortillas | stupideasypaleo.com Simple Paleo Tortillas | stupideasypaleo.com

Get it!

I'd like the free Stupid Easy Paleo Quickstart Mini-Course delivered to my inbox.

I never share your email address with anyone...spammers suck!

519 thoughts on “Simple Paleo Tortillas

1. DJRazorgirl

You can also sub fresh Lard if you can get it clean. Lard is considered a healthy fat. Plus not using ghee makes these closer to true Paleo and more Digestive System friendly.

1. Garrett

DJRazorgirl actually said NOT using ghee makes it closer to paleo. :) And I understand why. I’m pretty sure that our paleo ancestors didn’t often clarify their butter into ghee ;) Most of em didn’t even have butter.

If you take the stance that Paleo eating is a historical re-enactment then you would conclude that was true. I look at things from a physiological perspective ;)

2. Kelsie

Hi, I was wondering how easy this is to multiply? Or would it just be easier to do them batches at a time? My family eats A LOT of tortillas and wraps… I’ve been looking for something better and/or cheaper than what I’ve found in the store!

1. InalienableWrights

Kelsie

I make only 8x batches that make about 24 tortillas.
            Recently I have been mixing the batter in my Vitamix.
            It takes a bit over an hour of my time and I freeze a lot of them.

1. Heather

Ghee actually is paleo friendly as the process for making it removes the lactose and casein from “grass fed” unsalted butter. Once the milk solids are simmered and removed from the butter it becomes ghee… Which means it is no longer classified as a dairy product.

1. Charlotte

Thanks Heather that description is awesome. I understand it a lot better. I’m doing the whole30 & didn’t understand how Ghee is an approved whole30 item.

1. Sarah

Hi! We are a paleo/primal family and this looks awesome. I have a quick question, do you think this would adapt well to using a flax egg instead of real eggs? I love eggs but my new squish has a sensitivity so due to nursing I am not eating eggs…. let me know what you think, thanks for the awesome recipe! My kids will def love them regardless ha ha

Hi Sarah…thanks for stopping by. Ah, great question and I’m not 100% convinced they would provide the same texture/flexibility or hold together. I hear you on the egg challenge…my bf can’t have eggs either. If you give it a try with the flax sub. let me know how it goes!

2. Amanda

Hey ladies! We have lots of allergies so applesauce is our substitute for a nice liquidy egg. If you only need a little give, I’d say flax meal, but try applesauce!

Hi Clay…some folks use a flax/water mixture to replicate the texture that an egg would give if they can’t eat eggs for some reason :)

3. Laverne

You might be able to eat duck eggs. For those with chicken egg allergies, duck eggs can be an alternative, not 100% of the time. but it works for me. They are so much better than chicken eggs in my opinion.

4. Karen Gimbert

I use 1/2 cup of mashed ripe banana in place of each egg in cake recipes if I don’t have any eggs would that work in this recipe?

1. Andrea

Karen,
        Bananas should work, but you probably wouldn’t want to use them if you were wanting tortillas to go with dinner. They do retain the banana flavor. Great if you’re wanting a dessert shell.

5. Beth

I’m curious if chia seeds with water would work as a substitute. The mixture can become rather gelatinous/binding and may be a good replacement for egg.

6. Teri

I will be trying this recipe as is, to know how it tastes then substituting the eggs for a a gelatin mixture I have been eager to try, it was 1 egg equals 1 tbls gelatin in tbls cold water then mixing in 2 tbls boiling water till frothy, knowing my ideas this will probably be a fail but I will try at least :)!!!

Hi there! I kept mine for about 2 days after I made them and they were okay. I’m honestly not sure how they’d hold up to freezing though :/ Sorry I don’t have a better answer.

1. Heather K

Hi these freeze great rolled up. This batter also makes incredible waffles. You need a waffle iron with expanding hinges though plus a lock on the front that has some space even when closed. I also used it to make Yorkshire pudding! If it’s hot in summer refrigerate them. Oh and the waffles freeze stacked in a baggie just fine and go straight from freezer to toaster. Enjoy and thanks so much for the recipe!♡

Hi Patty…I do not. I suppose since it’s a majority eggs and arrowroot, the GI of those two products would give you a ball park estimate?

2. Kitty

Patty. Enter the recipe into a diet site like sparkpeople.com and it will tell you how many carbs each serving has. you can also get other nutritional details from them. Sparkpeople has a recipe section where you can enter your recipes to get that info.

Hi Melissa, I don’t have it, but if you plug the quantities into a program like Fit Day, it should give you the breakdown :)

1. Melissa

Is there anything lower in carbs that I could substitute for the arrowroot powder? I thought maybe xanthan gum but some people say yes and no on paleo…. what do you think? Thanks =)

Hi Melissa…the only two that I’ve heard people consistently getting good results with would be arrowroot or tapioca flour / powder. The whole batch is around 30 grams carbs give or take a few grams. For xanthan gum, it’s another thickener / starch obtained from bacteria and in order to purify it, it’s highly processed. I think it depends which definition of paleo you’re following and what your goals are to really decide if it’s a good option.

1. Bridget

update: I went ahead and got the arrowroot powder. This recipe is AMAZING!! My four kids (all under age 10) took a wrap ham sandwich to school today in their lunch using these tortillas and they were a HUGE hit! Thank you so very much for this recipe. It’s super easy and your timing was perfect as I’ll be using these in lunches for the whole family every week this school year and beyond!

Yay!! This is really great news. I’m glad to hear the kiddos liked them…that’s usually a good test to pass :)

They’re very similar and are both obtained from tropical / subtropical plants. Arrowroot generally comes from cassava while tapioca comes from manioc.

2. Sandra Schwartz

I used to be able to get Arrowroot powder in Australia but now the same product is “called” Arrowroot but says Tapioca as the ingredient – as if they were the same thing !!

1. Nanto4AZ

Thank you for the great questions and detailed responses. Helga…after your reply, I will move forward and sub tapioca flour. I don’t have enough arrowroot flour on hand. ☺

1. leslie

Cassava and manioc are the same thing. A.k.a. yuca, balinghoy, mogo, mandioca, tapioca root, etc. Technically arrowroot comes from a specific plant, but it’s commonly also made from cassava root as well. I just sub tapioca starch/ flour for arrowroot and I’ve never noticed a problem, or a difference from when I did buy arrowroot.

1. Lori

I just made these with tapioca since I didn’t have arrowroot. They were very good. What a delight to have a soft tortilla again! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!!!

2. Kat

Great recipe!! I wanted to make crepes so I added about half a can of coconut milk to make the batter more watery and some honey. These were so good!!

3. Erika

They worked great! I filled them with a fried egg and salsa and they held together! Stretchy and yummy. My daughter ate one plain and also loved it. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Hi Monica…you could try leaving it out. I think it’d be fine but if it seems too runny, you could add another teaspoon or two of arrowroot.

4. Rachael

Wow! These were awesome! So easy and so good – what a great combo! We used them to make breakfast burritos and they worked perfectly for it! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Hi Rachael! Thanks so much for letting me know…that’s great news that they held up for breakfast burritos. So happy you stopped by to tell me.

5. Cath

These look great! What’s the finished consistency like? Eggy like a Japanese omelette or cakey, bready, chewy like a tortilla? Just wondering if they’d hold up to tuna/avacado filling for school lunches.
    Thanks! Greta site!

Hi Cath…they’re definitely chewy and I’ve filled/rolled them. I’ve seen photos from readers who also filled/folded/rolled them. Just now sure if they’d stay together after half a day or so, but I think it’d depend how wet the filling is.

1. Cath

Awesome, thanks for the info! I’m in BC and still have a wek to go before school,starts. Will try these this week in a test pack lunch!

2. Nadine

Cath, if you do try it for school lunches and it doesn’t hold up because the tuna is too wet, try using a bento lunch box. That way they can just fill it and eat.
      Steph, can you substitute almond flour for cocnut flour?

Thanks for you suggestion, Nadine.

I haven’t tried it with almond flour but some people have and you may be able to just use a touch extra arrowroot.

6. Julia

I’m almost finished with my first Whole30 and these tortillas were perfect for tacos last night! I happened to have everything on hand so this recipe worked out nicely. My non-paleo husband even liked them. Very easy to make and they held up great to our over-stuffed tacos. Will definitely try the “sweet” version after my Whole30.

1. Pamela

Julia,
      Arrowroot starch is definitely not Whole30 approved. Neither is trying to “paleofy” bread/baked good recipes. Refined carbs are high glycemic and pretty much act like sugar in your body.

Hi ladies…Pamela is right. I somehow read your comment as you were finished with your whole30, not still on it. Tortillas aren’t a whole30-friendly food during your 30 days.

7. Susan

Thanks for the recipe! I am new to Paleo and was thinking that I would really miss tacos. I can’t wait to try this!

8. Eugenia

Mine did not come out nice and round because I dont have a small skillet but I think the solution is make double the batch and make them BIGGER. Awesome recipe for tortillas because I’ve have been wanting fish/shrimp tacos but had no tortillas to go with them.

I love them!

Eugenia, I like that creative solution :) Shrimp tacos would be amazing with these!! Thanks for stopping by!

9. Jessica Jane

This actually worked REALLY well! I was surprised since most “paleo tortillas” I have tried have either been crumbly, wet, inflexible, and everything inbetween. I stuffed each one with 1/2 banana, 1tbs chocolate hazelnut butter, and a pinch of coconut flakes. We also tried one with blueberries and cream cheese, which was okay, but not as great compared to our chocolate ones. ;-) Thanks for the recipe though! Will use again!

Jessica, I definitely feel your pain on that. I never found a recipe that would actually fold up. Ohhhhh my goodness that sounds SO amazing!!

I kept them 2-3 days tightly sealed in the fridge. No clue about the freezer but I suspect they’d do okay.

1. Meg

Oh my…. we did end up using the for tacos and they were AMAZING!!!! They held all the fillings perfectly and tastes like flour tortillas! Even my husband was like, wow…. thanks for this recipe :)

10. Lilah

‘Surely they can’t be that good’ I thought to myself… Surely they will fall apart or taste wrong like every other gluten free wrap…
    Flexible? yes! texture = awesome and they taste great (she says as she munches her first created, plain, straight from the pan)
    And the possibilities! Herbs, spices…. Sweet, savoury!
    You. Are. Awesome!

Hi Lilah! Ahhhhh…so good to hear that! When I was throwing ingredients together, I didn’t actually have very high hopes knowing the luck I’ve had with other tortilla recipes. Love the idea of the herbs, too…maybe with eggs and a nice hollandaise?! :) Thanks so much!!

11. Pam

This sounds sooooo fabulous, can’t wait to try it, thank you!!!
    I do have one challenge I wonder if you can help with…
    I am VERY remote in the upstate NY mountains caring for my 85yr old Mom, NO quality food resources to speak of that are not a LONG, sometimes tough drive and even then it’s pretty basic. Is Arrowroot Powder available online and in some decent quantities since I bet I’ll be making these in bunches and this calls for 1/4cup at a time, OR is there something more basic I can sub in!!?? Where do you get yours if not in some specialty shop?

Hi Pam! Ah definitely understand your situation. You can get it online through Amazon if that’s an option for you. Hope that helps! Upstate NY is very beautiful.

2. Stephenie

Hey Pam! I live in moderately rural northern Ontario, and it is difficult trying to track down some ingredients in the stores here. I personally swear by iherb.com for ordering some health food items, as the Canadian Amazon website does not offer the same wonderful array of food items as the US Amazon.

Just another option, if you’re looking! I actually came across iherb.com while I was seeking green (unprocessed, ground) Stevia leaf for my tea after finishing my very first 21 Day Sugar Detox. Their shipping charges to Canada are very reasonable, but they may be free in the US, so give it a shot.

Best of health and good vibes to you and your mom!

Stephenie, thank you very much for writing in to offer some suggestions to Pam. I didn’t realize the selection was different for Amazon US vs. Canada, so this is very helpful.

12. Jacque

Vitacost.com has all sorts of alternative flours and flour substitutes. I live in Hawaii and order from them often with very good results. Love that you posted this recipe. Have been using teff tortillas from Sonoma bakery, but they’re not always available. Can’t wait to try these.

1. Jennifer

I JUST used them in enchiladas tonight!!! Worked out super yummy!!!! I love these! I like that they have a little stretch to them too. I love super easy and this was just that! THANKS!

13. Deb

Steph -

I can’t wait to try this out! I found ArrowRoot Powder, but it’s crazy expensive. I’ll have to do some searching online and order a bigger bulk amount because $8.00 for a tiny bottle is way too expensive!

Is there a substitution option for Arrow Root? One of my CrossFit buddies suggested tapioca starch? I’m thinking that’s a No No?

Appreciate any advice.

Hi Deb! Oh wow, yes…that is very pricey, and I can understand your concern. There are lots of coconut flour tortilla recipes out there so you could try that, but texturally, you wouldn’t be able to do a 1 to 1 swap in terms of quantity for this recipe…coconut flour is too absorbent. Tapioca, like arrowroot, is a non-gluten form of starch and may work. I think I’m going to work on another version that uses other non-gluten flours. The amazing Zenbelly also posted a recipe recently for Plantain Tortillas which look super good: http://zenbellycatering.com/2013/08/17/plantain-tortillas/. Here’s another popular version that uses cauliflower: http://slimpalate.com/cauliflower-tortillas-paleo-grain-free-gluten-free/. Hope this gives you some choices!

1. Kate

Hi there,

Just letting you know, I’m in Australia, and “arrowroot” at our supermarket is actually tapioca! (About $1.50 for 175g) The label says that they’re so similar they’re often used interchangeably! So I used this product to make these tortillas and they look exactly like the pictures here and were flexible and great.

My only thing is that I made a double batch and I think it was too much baking soda as I could taste it… I’m going to try halving the baking soda.

Cheers, Kate

2. cyndi

Hey there Step, I purchase my Arrowroot Powder from our local health food store. Bob’s Red Mill. $7.99 for a pound and a half…hope this helps!

3. Roslyn

Try webrestaurant.com. I just ordered a big container from there and ordered some micro cloths from there at the same time.

14. Sara

I made these with Tapioca Flour last night and they were really good! I used 1/3 cup Tapioca and used 1 tbsp butter in place of the ghee because that’s what I had on hand, it made 3 good size ones in my cast iron skillet. I couldn’t believe how well they came out and will definitely make them again.

Thank you so much for responding with your modifications, Sara! I’m going to be making a list of possible alternatives, and this will help me out tremendously. Much appreciated :)

15. Gordon

I didn’t have arrowroot powder, so I used almond flour instead. It was still a bit thick, so added about 1/8 cup of water to batter. They came out very well. Taste kind of nutty like corn tortillas and roll easily. The only problem I had was my skillet was larger so could only made 2 10 inch ones. So, I will double the recipe next time. Rolled a piece of broiled chicken inside and it was very good. Thanks for this recipe.

Thanks also for adding this to the Facebook page, Gordon! Really appreciate that you replied, especially since I think some folks may prefer to use a nut flour. Cheers!

16. Sara

Hi!
    I get my arrowroot at my local Asian store. Not expensive at all, though i can’t remember the actual price. If you have a store it’s worth looking into-a lot of herbs are MUCH cheaper there too.

Hi Sara…that’s a great tip that many readers may be able to implement. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

17. Susan

I just made these and they are really good. I also experimented with baking them and frying them(in coconut oil) and they make really good chips also!

1. Rae Evans

I wonder if you could use them in a tortilla bowl baking pan to make a tortilla bowl for taco salad? I may have to try it because we eat a lot of taco salads in the spring and summer.

Maybe give it a try! I think they’re pretty flexible and may not hold the shape of a bowl well but if I had one I’d probably give it a shot :)

2. expat

I had 4 or 5 stored flat in a ziplock in the fridge that I was afraid after 5 days may have been too old. Last night I decided to try to make chips of them, as opposed to throwing them out. I cut them up and used the duck fat deep fryer. Dusted them with a little Himalayan sea salt as soon as they came out. Excellent. One tip though, for chips I will be thinning the recipe with water for a more fine crepe-like thickness. The thicker tortillas must be fried too long to get them cooked all the way through, almost to the point of burning. It affects the taste. They puff up when in the hot oil. If the oil is not hot enough they will curl up like pork rind/cracklings. If the oil is too hot the will quickly scorch. Temperature is important.

I think that if stored in ziplocks with the air drawn out, they have a fairly long shelf life in the refrigerator, possibly in excess of a week. The texture and quality of the ones I used last night, after 5 days storage, were still as good as fresh.

18. Alicia

I made these last weekend and they are AMAZING! I think Im going to see if I can make them crispy by putting them at low temp in the oven. Thanks for this one, Ive really missed tacos (and lettuce just doesn’t cut it!).

1. Susan

I put one in the oven and also cut one into triangles and fried them in coconut oil to make chips. It was good but a bit puffy. Next time I will try them in the taco salad bowl pans for the oven.

Yay!! Thanks for letting me know, Alicia :) It always makes me smile when I see my friends trying something I’ve made. Hope you’re doing well :)

19. Shannon

Just made these! I didn’t have arrowroot so I subbed an equal amount of tapioca flour. They came out great. I haven’t had a tortilla in a year and a half and I’ve been craving soft tacos/burritos for a while now. I made my picky preschooler a quesadilla with one and he loved it. I will definitely make these again, thank you for the recipe!

If you scroll back through the comments (I know there are a lot), there are a couple readers who have posted the successful combinations they used and I believe one was a 1:1 substitution of tapioca for arrowroot. Hope that helps, Cheryl!

20. Kasie

Could tapioca flour be substituted for the arrowroot flour? Does anyone know what the difference between those two flours are? Thanks!

21. Gabriele

Just made these tortillas today, for dinner tonight. We are having chicken fajitas. Before I went gluten free, I was the crepe queen! These are the closest I’ve come to the real thing! Thank you for sharing yet another great recipe. Can’t wait to try them with vanilla and a little honey as crepes. I’ve been making my own fruit spread with mixed berries and chia seeds and just a hint of honey. I grind the chia seeds before whirling in the fruit and honey. I’ve found that it makes the “jelly” more smooth in texture.

Gabriele, that sounds absolutely genius! I think you may have inspired me to try something new! Thank you for the kind words :)

22. Crista

It was a bit eggy for my tastes so I subbed 1/4 cup of coconut milk per egg. Basically used one egg and 1/4 cup of coconut milk instead of two eggs. Worked out great. Love that it is so quick and easy to make and also love that it is so flexible.

1. Kelly

Thank you co much for this comment. These are the best tortillas I’ve found in terms of texture, but are a bit eggy tasting for me as well. I’ll have to try it!

23. Jen

Another tip on arrowroot: If you live in a location where they ship (definitely in the U.S., probably to Canada, not sure about overseas), Penzeys Spices in Milwaukee sells arrowroot in bulk at very reasonable prices (from $3.79 for a 4-ounce bag to $11.20 for a one-pound bag). I’ve been buying arrowroot from Penzeys for years. Even with shipping charges, it’s MUCH cheaper than the little jars at the supermarket.

Ahhhh…very good tip, Jen! I didn’t remember seeing it there but then again I wasn’t looking and they just may not have carried it at my location but their online store certainly would have it. I was getting mine from Bob’s Red Mill in a pretty large bag. This is very helpful :)

24. Vanda

These were great! My first batch made 3 tortillas, granted I used a 10in skillet. So the next time I doubled the batch so I’d have enough to use for leftovers with your Lamb Kofta recipe.

This is the first paleo torilla recipe I’ve tried and it was so easy to master that I don’t feel the need to try any others. Thank you for sharing!

The size of the skillet definitely would make a difference…oh I like the sound of using that with the kofta!!

Thank you so much…that is a really nice compliment.

Hi Jill…you could try them, for sure but I would do a small tester tortilla and then add some extra coconut oil or ghee to the skillet if there’s any sticking. If your skillet is seasoned properly it should be okay.

25. Sam

I made these tonight, taste tested them and they are SO good! I’m excited to serve them to the non paleo boyfriend tomorrow! I also had 1 mini one that I froze as an experiment, if it defrosts okay I am going to make a huge batch (i already made a double batch the first time thank goodness!). Thank you!!!

26. Pingback: Simple Paleo Tortillas Stupid Easy Paleo - Vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, healthy - FoodSniffr Blog

27. Pingback: Mexican AND Paleo | The Paleo Attempt

28. Brenna

Hey, just discovered your website and am LOVING it. Quick question — are these an everyday food? I know there are some paleo things that it is best to have in moderation (like sweet potatoes) and with all the arrowroot powder I feel like this may be something that is better once a week and not every day? I am in Austin and we sure love our tacos down here, so eating these all the time would be great for me, if it won’t set me back. Thanks so much!

Hi Brenna…really glad you asked this. For me, they wouldn’t be an everyday food because I try to make the majority of what I eat be really nutrient-dense and while arrowroot is certainly gluten-free it’s just not as nutrient-packed as other starches. Being an athlete, sweet potatoes are something I eat pretty frequently because they are a more nutrient-dense starch, good for post workout. Really it comes down to your context and your goals. If you’re lean and where you’d like to be body comp-wise, I personally don’t think it’s a problem. Hope that helps. I totally need to come visit Austin!! I have a lot of friends there and have heard great things :)

29. Yaya

I made these tonight and they are AWESOME! I made tacos with guacamole (from this site also), steak or liver and some onions…Yummy. This is a great way for me to eat liver, which I am still getting use to. No offense to lettuce wraps but sometimes a girl needs a tortilla lol.

I am so happy I found this site. It makes cooking …STUPID EASY…for me hahahaha.

Hi Yaya! WOOHOO! That’s really great to hear. I will admit to trying to fool myself into eating liver, too. Sometimes I grate it into burgers. Ohhhh I certainly hear you on that one ;)

I’m really glad it’s a help to you!

Hi Heather…using a direct sub with coconut flour won’t work because it’s highly absorbent and the texture will be very thick. You could try using almond flour. Another reader reported using a 1:1 substitution of arrowroot to almond flour with good success. Happy experimenting!

It should be fine, but you may need to add a bit more than 1 Tbsp because the coconut flour is much more absorbent than the almond flour.

30. Pingback: Paleo Tortilla Crepes | The Iron Pumping Dancer

Hi Danielle…it’s great to hear from you!! I’m really really glad to hear that. Brings a big smile to my face. Hope y’all are doing well!

31. Kapu

Hi, this looks delish. What can I sub for the arrowroot flour. I’m low to no carb and can’t have the arrowroot. Thanks.

32. Ellen

I apologize if this question has been asked already… And it may be a silly question… But is Arrowroot Powder the same as Arrowroot Starch Flour? I am wanting to buy some to make these, as they look fantastic, but don’t want to buy the wrong thing :) Thank you!!

33. Michelle

How well do you think these would handle being filled and baked? They look excellent. I’m looking forward to trying them!

Hi Michelle…some folks have written in that they took to being filled and baked (I think the person who wrote in made enchiladas) just fine!

34. NColl

I am embarrassed to say how many of these that I ate in one week’s time. Living in AZ, we love our tacos, burritos, etc. These really hit the mark. What I particularly liked about them is the fact that the coconut flour didn’t overwhelm the flavor. I have tried other recipes before, and that has always been our major complaint. Thanks for such a great recipe!

I used to live in AZ, too, so I definitely understand that :) I’ve made lots of coconut flour ones before and it was always either the flavor – like you said – or the fact that they didn’t fold that bummed me out. I’m glad you like them!

35. Pingback: Clean Eating Chicken Fajitas | Beauty With A Mind

36. Pingback: Stupid Simple Salsa Chicken |

37. amy guenst

had to stop back by to tell you that these are a staple in my home!!! taco night or quick lunch of Kerry gold melted cheese fried in TONS of butter…mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm THANK YOU!!!!

38. Pingback: 100% From Scratch | peonut

39. Michele

Thanks for this awesome recipe, I can’t believe how well it worked! I spread some almond butter and coconut butter on one and the deluxe-ness of it all reminded me of my gluten/sugar eating days (not that I miss those). Glad to have discovered you and looking forward to trying more recipes. :-)

40. Jeanette

I made the tortillas tonight and they were delicious. I spread a little almond butter in them and it was so good. Thank-you for sharing your recipe.

41. Arp

I tried these tonight and they rock! I made the citrus-garlic marinated meat too, wrapped in the tortillas. It was very much like eating good Indian roti. Great recipes, I overate as a result!

42. Pingback: Catching up | Small Town Girl in a Big City World

43. Pingback: WF2: Stupid Easy Paleo Review | theclothesmakethegirl

44. Lisa

I found a nutrition value based on the original recipe using coconut oil and basing this 1 tortilla as 1 serving ( these are so good I can eat more though). I got this from website Calorie Count ( which I don’t do!)

Nutrition Facts

Protein
    12.8g

Vitamin A 9% • Vitamin C 1%
    Calcium 5% • Iron 13%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

1. Chris

I think you need to check your math. No way these are 200 cals per tortilla. They are about 80 cals per.

45. Sharron

Just made these…. FANTASTIC!! My pan is obviously much larger than recommended, as I only made two following the ingredients. The first one became a left over roast lamb yiros (oh, the joy), and the second became a ham, avo, tom, baby spinach toastie…PERFECT. Thanks for sharing :)

46. Jenny

I’m excited to make these for dinner tonight!

Your updated note made me laugh- they “unthawed”….. wouldn’t that mean they froze? :)

Hi Jenny…I froze them to test out how’d they’d do when thawed. On the other hand, I should check my grammar haha!

47. Bob

Made these again tonight. Filled them with pulled pork and Hatch chili & onions all pan sautéed up. Now that’s what I’m talking about!!!!!!!!!!
    Awesome!!!!
    I did notice that when I flipped them, they tried to roll up and I had to use another spatula to hold both sides down.
    No worries though.. Anyone else had that happen?

Awesome…that sounds SO good :) Hatch chilies are the best!

Hmmmm that’s strange…did you follow the recipe with no substitutions?

1. Bob

Steph,
        Yup on the Hatch Chilis!! I get about 30 lbs each year and fire roast them myself.

I did follow the recipe as you wrote it. I used a well seasoned cast Iron Skillet. Would they curl if the pan was too hot? I don’t remember them curling last time (1st) I made them.

No worries though…. They worked out just fine…..

1. Bob

We buy them by the case (30 ls or so) at Central Market in the Dallas area. You can get ‘em unroasted or they will roast them for you, but where’s the fun in that??
            I usually get a mixture of mild and NOT mild…. makes each bag a surprise!!

I’m definitely envious now, Bob!! I think we can get them here in San Diego at certain markets. I’ll have to check when I’m back in SoCal.

That IS a surprise haha!

48. Lisa

It might have been asked already but I didn’t see it when I skimmed the comments. How well would almond flour sub for the arrowroot? I’m still trying to figure out what works best for these types of things.

Hi Lisa…almond flour has no starch, so they won’t be flexible. That being said, I’ve made this recipe with almond flour and cooked it with sliced apples on one side…but it’s more like a pancake.

49. Kristin W.

I saw someone on FB use this tortilla for a breakfast burrito….one of the foods I missed since going Paleo. These tortilla’s were AMAZING! You have just opened a huge door of possibilities….sandwich rollups, tacos! My 9 y/o ate 3 breakfast burritos filled with scrambled eggs, crispy prosciutto, avocado and tomatoe! Incredible!

50. Helen

Just made these with buckwheat (not technically paleo but not technically a grain either). Might have needed a bit more liquid to make bigger & thinner, but still yum!

1. Helen

Just made another one and substituted one egg for 1tbs soaked chia seeds (cos I only had one egg!), still turned out awesome!

51. Lu

Can you substitute the eggs or maybe just use the whites and not the yolk. My batch came out perfectly, but it was a but too eggy for my taste. What do you recommend?

Hi Lu…you could try but that’s not one of the variations I tested. If you try it, let me know what happens. I’m interested to know!

52. Adrianna

These are super awesome! Finally a tasty paleo tortilla recipe :) Makes great breakfast tacos and street tacos with chicken and great by themselves to munch on. Thanks!

53. Pingback: Citrus-Garlic Marinated Steak Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes to Help You Just Eat Real Food

54. Sarah B

Has anyone tried egg whites yet? Would I use 3 whites in place of the 2 whole eggs?
    I’m excited and can’t wait to try these!

55. Joe

Thanks for the website. We started living the Paleo life style in March, I have lost 50 pounds and my parnter has lost 50 pounds, We are down to the last 15 pounds. But we tried these tortillas and they are the best. We are both l flight attendants and travel 4 to 6 days at a time and love to pack these in our lunch box for our trips. Mexican food is one of our favs and we where getting bored of the lettuce leaf tacos and wraps. We have even going to use these as a bread replacement for our hamburger buns. Thank you again for all you do.
    Joe And Cameron

Hi Joe! Awwww thanks for sharing your story…that is so awesome. Please accept this virtual high five for all your good work. I’m so happy I have the opportunity to help others :) Have a great day!

56. Judy

These look delicious!! I don’t have arrowroot powder, though. Can anything else be substituted? I’m not on the paleo diet so can eat flour/gluten, etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!

57. Sarah

My husband and I tried these yesterday. We made them into soft tacos with ground turkey. They were AMAZING. Simple and fast to make and delicious. My favorite part is that they bend without breaking. We’ve only been eating paleo for two weeks, but we’ve been gluten free for six years, so we haven’t had a bendy tortilla in a LONG time. I even took a screen shot of the recipe just in case you take it down- don’t want to ever lose this one! Thank you so much. You literally made our day!

Hi Sarah! I’m so excited to hear that…I’ve got a big smile on my face! This one will be around for ages to come :)

58. Penny Markle

Hi Steph
    Ever since I seen these wraps a couple of days ago I have been wanting to make them. I am going to the store today to buy the ingredients. I have been trying to eat healthier and these look amazing!! It’s hard to come up with fresh new ideas on my own.
    Thank you and look forward to your post/emails to arrive.

Hi Penny! I’m really glad you’re going to give them a try, and I’m very happy to know that I can be of service. Thanks for stopping by!

59. Bianca

These were the easiest Paleo tortillas I have tried making, and the best. I made them tonight for soft tacos with not hassle. Out of the recipe above I made two 8″ tortillas. Is this about the same result as anyone else?

Also I can easily see making these into crepes, with strawberries. YUM!

60. Pingback: Ropa Vieja: Cuban Shredded Beef and Peppers - Gutsy By Nature

61. Rosann

I just made a double batch of these using melted palm shortening (not hydrogenated) Tasted the first one brushed with butter, very tortilla-like! Slight egg taste that would disappear with other food present. I’m thinking the applications for this are endless. Leftover leg of lamb going in these with homemade tzatziki for gyros tonight. Thank you!

Woohoo! Yes, they are a bit eggy but I think that’s one of the ways they stay so flexible. I’m glad you liked it!

62. Pingback: Paleo Enchilada Casserole Bake! (#grainfree #glutenfree #rawdairy #organic #fromscratch #homemade) | California Cavegirl Kitchen

63. expat

I love this recipe! I have been making them almost daily since I found this page, and using them for all sorts of things. It was a cold wet fall day today and I had made a big pot of chicken bone stock yesterday, so thoughts drifted toward chicken noodle soup, but what can a paleo dieter do for the egg noodles? Voila! I sliced the tortillas to linguini width and added them to the soup at the end of the simmer, for about 20 minutes. They make a very acceptable egg noodle replacement. The next experiment will be a deep fried (in duck fat) chimichanga, and they might possibly make a decent guacamole dipping chip since most corn chips these days are GMO. My mind races at the possibilities. Thank you so much for the recipe.

64. Pingback: Paleo Tortillas. Bam. That Just Happened. | California Cavegirl Kitchen

65. Alison

Thanks so much for the recipe! I did not have the arrowroot so I used tapioca flour instead and they were wonderful!! Rolled up nicely. I used them for fajitas with guacamole. Mandelson! Thanks again.

66. Heidi Simmons

Your recipes are so easy and turn out just wonderful! My husband had to switch to this diet due to health reasons and he has been pain free for 3 months. He used to be miserable. This recipe was awesome! Thank you so much for making a unique diet more manageable with your easy and delicious recipes.

67. Lauren

These look great! We loove sweet crepes with berries for breakfast. Can I ask what’s the ‘icing’ you have over your crepe in the last picture? We’re new to paleo so I’m looking for ideas! :)

68. Jessica

These sound really great and easy! I’ve been looking for something to replace the tortillas we miss, but can you tell me to they taste “eggy” or do they taste more like a flour tortilla? I have a strong egg aversion and wanted to find out before I make my first batch! Thanks!

69. Pingback: FFTF (Food for Thought Friday) – Gluten-free Quesadillas & “Do you have a calling?” | A God Coloured Girl in a Grey World

70. Pingback: SdS (Sábado de Saúde) – Quesadillas (panquecas mexicanas) sem glúten e “Você tem um chamado?” | Uma Garota Colorida em um Mundo Cinzento

71. Jonathan

I thinned my batter out with a little water to make thinner tortillas and it worked out great. Letting them get a little crispy also added some necessary texture.

Great recipe. Will be making regularly.

72. Lorrie

Wow, these are amazing!! So easy to make too. I used tapioca flour instead of the arrowroot as a 1:1 ratio. I also threw in 1 tsp of ground flax seed. Worked out great!! My husband said they were a little eggy tasting, but enjoyed them none-the-less. We had taco wraps. I thought they were just perfect!! Thank you for the great recipe!! I have a few leftover so I am going to try cutting them up into triangles and baking them to see if they make good tortilla chips tomorrow night. Have you tried this?

Hi Lorrie! Thank you :) Another reader (if you scroll up the page a little) recently made them into chips and described how it was done.

73. Dawn

Thank you so much for this recipe! This has been one of the first paleo recipes I’ve tried, because it looks so versatile. We used these to make breakfast burritos yesterday and are using them with shredded buffalo chicken tonight. Also, if anyone is wondering – I wanted to make a freeze a bunch of these, so I multiplied everything by 4 and used a 1/4 cup of batter to make each wrap. It turned out great and I ended up with 16 of these great wraps :)

74. Janeth

Hi I wanted to know if these tasted eggy at all. I get nauseous when I eat foods that taste too eggy. I know it’s sounds weird lol, that’s the best way I can describe it. TIA!!

75. Lindsay

I love this recipe! It’s in regular rotation now for taco night…I use a smaller pan(To look like corn tortillas)and double the recipe and get enough for 3 tacos for dinner and leftovers for 2 more lunches. Also good with almond butter and banana and all wrapped up like a little sandwich. You are a genius!

76. Laura P.

Great recipe, thanks! I was looking for something after we got some tough as leather torts from Whole Foods. :/
    p.s. the Print button isn’t working for me.

Thanks Laura! We are trying to figure out how to disable the “pin it” button that shows up. You kind of have to click on the left side of the button for it to work.

77. Heidi Newman

Is all arrowroot powder GF? It seems like I keep getting things that “say” they are GF – but end up they aren’t as I have a powerful sensitivity that just appeared out of NOWHERE. :-( Thanks for the help!

Arrowroot is a tuber, a root. If it’s processed on shared machinery with something used to process gluten, there’s always a chance of cross contamination, I’d guess.

78. Pingback: Fajita-Style Quesadillas

79. Alison

So, I tried these a few minutes ago; but my pan was too small, or I put too much in the pan; or a little both! Anyway, they got thick like yummy paleo pancakes! I drizzled maple syrup and cinnamon on them; it reminded me of french toast! Probably would have tasted even more so if they would have had vanilla in them! Yeah, pancakes before bed!! ;) I will have to try again; with better measuring and/ or a different pan, to make tortillas. Thanks so much!

I like your improv skills, Alison! Sometimes I add a tablespoon of water to thin the batter out so it spreads more easily!

80. Faith

Made these tonight and just LOVE them! Better than my traditional egg only route! I did have to oil my pan but otherwise amazing!!! Mmmm good! TACOS!!

81. Heidi Newman

Do you know if Arrowroot powder gets old? I wanted to make this recipe but before I went to the store, I noticed I have a HUGE bag of it on the shelf. Now it’s probably 4 years old. I just didn’t want to make this recipe and have it fall flat. :-) or maybe that’s blow up? ;-)

82. Robbyn

This recipe is genius!
    I just made these tonight, for fajitas, and they were delicious. My extremely picky, food averse, 4 year old even loved them.
    I subbed tapioca starch for the arrowroot, and coconut oil for ghee. I doubled the recipe and used a smaller, probably 6inch pan, and found that about 1/8 cup of batter was perfect. 1/4c made a chewy pancake. A double batch made 9 tortillas.
    I was kind of amazed that they came out better when I *didn’t* oil my stainless steel pan.
    Thanks for this! We’ve really missed tortillas.

83. Helen Salfen

So, I’ve never cooked with coconut flour before…does it make the end product taste like coconut? (May be a stupid question… :P)

84. Pingback: Well Fed Winners and Easy Tortillas {PALEO} | fcubed

85. Jonathan

Next, I plan on taking some freshly made tortillas, folding them over a form and popping them into the toaster oven to make hard taco shells.

1. Jonathan

Writing back to report that these are amazing as hard shell tacos. After frying some up in the pan, I draped them over a folded piece of tin foil and put them in the toaster oven and set it to medium. When it came out, it was shaped like a hard taco and was crunchy/crispy. Definitely a change for those of us still searching for crunch.

86. Pingback: Top 10 Paleo Posts of 2013 Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

87. Katie Cross

Just made these for lunch, and they reminded me a lot of crepes. Eggier, obviously, but really good. I subbed tapioca starch instead of arrowroot as I typically like the texture better.

I had some melted swiss cheese on top (not strict Paleo, I know) and they were awesome. One batch made three for me, and I was full by the end of those.

88. ashley

just made these…yum! i oiled the pan for the first one, which actually made it harder to flip, the following ones with out a greased pan were better. i made a couple too thick, i may add a little more water to the next batch to thin them out. i put eggs and bacon in mine and had a breakfast burrito…delish!! i cant wait to make fajitas, taco shell bowls and crepes…i’m headed to to the kitchen to make more for the week, let’s see how long they last!! thanks for the wonderful recipe!!

Hi Ashley! Thanks for letting me know. Weird, isn’t it? I’ve had that happen a couple times. MMMM…your combo sounds awesome!

89. Pingback: Prep!! | Paleo. And Stuff...

90. Pingback: 21 Easy, Affordable Meals that are 21DSD Approved

91. Suz

Thanks Steph for sharing your recipes with the blogging world. I made these last night and made a few changes after reading most of the comments above:
    replacing Arrowroot with Tapioca flour and one egg with 1/4c coconut milk
    Worked perfectly, very flexible and yum.

92. Pingback: 100 Paleo Bread Recipes - My Heart Beets

93. Shannon Leska

How would I purchase this e-book for someone else? Would you need their email address to send them the link after purchase?
    Sorry, I am a techno-deficient person;)
    I am also old school, and prefer having the text/pages in my hands:))
    Thanks, Shannon

94. cyndi

I just made these and my husband and I both loved them! Going to try subbing flax seed for the coconut flour to make enchiladas. My husband wants us to try and fry them for tacos, after reading posts I think it may be possible as long as they are thin enough to begin with. So happy that I found you and thank you for your great recipes. Looking forward to many more!

95. Sue

Help…I’m trying to rest my pancreas for 8 weeks and can’t eat more than 4 grams of net carb in 5 hours. I have a ton of food allergies. Any ideas on how to make Paleo wraps using substitutes for what I can’t tolerate? I have allergies to nuts but can tolerate macadamia and pistachio nuts as long as I don’t over do it and very small amounts of peanuts. Sesame seeds and tahini are ok. I am allergic to milk protein but can handle gee or whipped butter in small amounts. The only grains I can tolerate are oats and rice but the high carb content is an issue. I can only tolerate eggs in small amounts if I don’t eat them too often during a week. Can’t eat soy or gluten grains.

I can’t think of any way to make these really thin with any other kind of substitute. There is a product sold by Julian Bakery that is a coconut wrap…pretty sure it’s just coconut and water.

96. Torry

I have made so many paleo tortilla/crepe type items and all have been NOT GOOD. I had totally given up on having a tortilla again. I saw Nom Nom Paleo post this recipe on FB and I thought, duh! Why haven’t I checked here for a tortilla recipe. I should have came here first! These are so foldable and they don’t have a strong coconut taste. I filled them with pulled pork and made tacos and also almond butter roll ups for the kids. They were a huge hit. Another great recipe, Steph! Thank you!!

97. Pingback: Paleo Tortilla Recipe Review | Not Another Paleo Blog

98. Pingback: Paleo Menu 2 | Not Another Paleo Blog

99. Pingback: Slow Cooker Beef Tacos {PALEO} :

100. Pingback: meal plan: week of Feb 3-9 | sarahunfiltered

101. Pingback: Cabbage Turkey Tacos | foodiesauce

102. Sandi Mackey

Love, love, love these!!! I’ve eaten these as tacos and burritos, and tonight cut them in strips as lasagna noodles and they held up through baking the lasagna and were delish! Next I plan to cut them in narrow ribbons and use them as spaghetti noodles. Thank you so much for this recipe!

103. Arisai

I tried this yesterday for my beef tacos, but with coconut manna, SOOOOOO good! thank you so much for sharing this, I’ve been wanting to make my own tortillas for a while. I’m making some more this morning with my scramble eggs!

Thanks
    Ari

104. Claire

I’ve been making these for a few months now but have always made them with almond flour instead of coconut. (only because I didn’t have coconut flour the 1st time)
    I use the exact same measurements and I loooove the results. Thanks for the recipe!

105. Pingback: Today Marks 4 years & Weekly Menu #2 | Peggy Spencer ~ Through The Storms

106. Helen

I made these yesterday and i was so pleased my 5 and 7 year old loved them if fact the ate 3 each with some salsa for a mum with fussy boys they are definitely going to be a regular ;)

107. Pingback: 100 Paleo Bread Recipes | sol web 5

108. Carol

Hey I love this recipe and so do my kids!! But I usually cook to enough of anything to have leftovers, I wanted to double or triple the recipe but I know that just doing straight math on it can be tricky when using baking soda – any ideas? Thanks!!

1. Carol

LOL! That makes some sense as I have always been told that baking soda won’t work without an acid and I don’t think there’s any in there! I will try it next time doubled or tripled and let you know how it turns out!

109. Pingback: Weekly Menu #3 | Peggy Spencer ~ Through The Storms

110. Lindsay

These were amazing! I used the version with vanilla and fried some bananas for banana crepes with cinnamon and drizzled them with real maple syrop. Made a fantastic ‘cheat day’ breakfast!!! Thanks for the recipe :)

111. Deb Bress

The recipe directions say add baking soda with the dry ingredients, but the baking soda and amount is not listed in ingredients. How much baking soda do I use?

112. Jennifer

Hello! I made these for lunch and they were very tasty!! Thank you for sharing :). I did want to ask how much baking soda is to be added? I noticed its addition in the directions, but not the ingredient list. Thanks, again!!

113. christi

I don’t see in the ingredient list how much baking soda to use but it’s listed in the instructions. Am I missing something? Anxious to try this!!

Hi Christi…I recently deleted the baking soda from the ingredients but forgot to remove it from the directions. You don’t need baking soda to get a good result. I’ve fixed the directions to reflect the change :)

1. christi

Thanks! Looks like all of a sudden yesterday we all noticed it and bombarded you with questions about it. :) Thanks again! Trying this tonight.

114. Nissa

So, I went on a bit of a research nerd rampage to find the if I could use tapioca flour as a direct substitute for arrowroot powder. This site showed me the info on the plant. Y’all can formulate what works for you from this too. But, I found this info to confirm to me that I can use tapioca as a direct substitute for arrowroot since both products come from the same plant. (according to this info)

I hope this helps anyone else who was on the same search! Now, I’m off to try this recipe. I also wanted to say how impressed I am with this site and it’s owner. You are so involved with your replies and I don’t see this often. It seems to me you are authentically showing up for your work here and it is inspiring. THANK YOU!

Tapioca comes from cassava, though the plants are often listed interchangeably and have incredibly similar textures and cooking properties. In this recipe, both can be used.

Thanks for your kind words! I really try hard to reply to everyone :)

115. Pingback: My Signature Dish: Paleo Crockpot Carnitas | Mary Vance, NC

116. Kathy

I noticed that baking soda is not listed in the ingredients, yet it is mentioned in the directions. How much baking soda do I use?

Thanks!

So sorry…I deleted it off the ingredients but forgot to do remove it from the directions. It’s not needed in the recipe.

117. Jessica

I was wondering if you can make more just by doubling everything and so on. I need to make about 12 tortillas. How would you recommend making a bigger batch. I know sometimes with cooking, you can’t just simply double. Thanks for your time :-)

Sorry about that Caty! I deleted it out of the ingredients after some tinkering and forgot to remove it from the directions. Heading over to fix it!

118. Beth

I got and read Loren Cordain’s book: The Paleo Answer a year or 2 ago. My kid wasn’t much interested in going Paleo at the time, although I’ve been trying to clean up our diet, it can sometimes be a long and slow process to get “buy in” from other people who eat your cooking! She is now considering trying it to see if it helps her with joint pain, headaches, and tummy aches. So I am rereading the book and trying to clean up our diet.

I had just gotten to the part about tapioca, which he says comes from Cassava. It has an exceptionally high glycemic load, higher even that a potato. I did the math though, and, at a quantity of 1/4 cup, or 3 tablespoons, the glycemic load dropped to 7.049, which is between the glycemic load of a 1/4 pound of beets and yams for one batch of the recipe. So, I’m not too concerned about the glycemic load, although, it could be a problem, of course, for anyone if they ate too many of them at once (I’m thinking: chips. Yum!).

What did concern me though, is the other things that are in it. Cassava, like lima beans, has an antinutrient called cyanogenic glycoside, which, unless sufficiently cooked, can convert into hydrogen cyanide, which is a deadly poison. Lima beans have to be cooked a long time to get tender. What amount of time is needed for this to cook out?

Also, according to Loren, even when fully cooked, the cyanogenic glycoside converts into thiocyanates, which may aggravate iodine deficiencies. which leads to problems with the thyroid and maybe even leads to cancers, such as breast cancer.

Are there any other alternatives out there? I’m thinking corn starch may not be so bad. Maybe he doesn’t cook and he doesn’t realize that people aren’t going to consume as much of this stuff as say, lime beans at any given meal? Thanks. I will definitely try the recipe.

I tried William Davis’ Wheat Belly tortillas with eggs and flax seed and we didn’t like them because they were so eggy. I will try them using 1/4 cup coconut milk as a substitute for one of the eggs. Love that I can read everyone’s substitutes so that I can customize it for our tastes or just for whatever we have on hand at the time. Noticed that you responded to every comment. Very impressed that you take your readers so seriously. Thanks again!

You can use arrowroot, which is from a different plant than cassava though they are biologically similar so I’m unsure what, if any, the amount of cyanogenic glycoside is in arrowroot.

To be quite honest, if it’s an every once in a while treat (which these are for me) I’m not super concerned about the potential antinutrients.

Though his recommendations against this are directly biochemical which I understand (I have a biology background), some of his other stances are quite rigid and very “diet like” (such as avoiding sweet potatoes and many carb-dense tubers). For athletes (like me) and other very active people, we need dense carb sources (primarily from starchy veg) not only for performance but for the maintenance of healthy hormonal function.

I’d have to do more digging around re: this issue. As I mentioned, my only other direct recommendation would be arrowroot instead of tapioca because I’ve personally made it that way myself and it turns out just fine. I’m not sure what cornstarch would do. My suspicion is that it would be similar but with corn, you’d want to find a GMO-free brand and I’m not sure if that exists.

119. Pingback: Weekly Menu #4 – Tater Tot Bake | Peggy Spencer ~ Through The Storms

120. Cindy Vance

I’ve made these a couple of times now. We love the taste and I love how quick they are to make. I did substitute the ghee with coconut oil and read the suggestion tomuse 1 egg and 1/4 cup of coconut oil vs 2 eggs. I’m still having a little trouble with them being a little “rubbery” and almost to greasy. Do youmthinkmits the coconut oil or is this the texture of them. I tried cooking longer and had the pan quite hot but still came out the same. Thanks for your help. I would love to work this out, we’ve had such a hard time finding a wrap since going gluten free.

Hi Cindy…1/4 cup coconut oil is definitely a lot for the volume of this recipe.

I’ve made them dozens of times with 2 eggs + 1 teaspoon ghee (or butter or coconut oil) and they don’t come out greasy.

Oh okay! I still think that the egg provides the protein background that helps the tortilla stand up to cooking. Not sure if the coconut milk (while it provides moisture) will do the same.

121. Shannon Mehalik

These have become a staple in our house! My non-Paleo vegetarian sister loves them for quesadillas, I’ve used them for sandwich wraps, tacos, breakfast burritos, etc.. and they hold up perfect for all of these. Thanks!

Hi Alicia! Yes, I remember at least one other person who wrote in and used them for noodles! They’re a bit thin (and more like an egg noodle) but the effect is there for sure.

122. Pingback: Easy Paleo Meals 015: Chicken Enchiladas Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

123. Pingback: Paleo Tortillas (Legit…Tortillas!!!!) | psimadethat.com

124. Suzanne

That was fun!
    I had finished making the cauliflower wraps and being disappointed, I kept searching the web for a simple wrap when I came across your site. Motivated, and the kitchen still a mess, I gave it a try… (after reading how others were successful.) Now if there is anything that can go wrong I can easily discover it! I have made three batches this afternoon, and so far it is ‘Suzanne’ proof! I added some liquid Stevia for my sweet tooth hubby. I let some of them cook longer and the edges were crispy, like a chip. YUM! The only thing I can stay that caught me off guard was the shallow bowl I used. The first time I dumped the arrowroot into the bowl I looked like a ghost! Had white powder all over myself and the counter! SURPRISE! I also find that just before pouring the batter out each time onto the hot pan, I stir the batter back up . Oh, and I also added coconut oil to my pan so that they don’t stick as I don’t use non stick skillets. Thanks for this recipe! And keep up the good monitoring! Suzanne

Yay! I’m so happy it finally worked out for you :) I’ve definitely ended up with arrowroot all over the place before…it’s so powdery! Happy cooking :)

125. Michelle

Hi! I am one of your new biggest fans!!! Just made the simple paleo tortillas last night and they were fantastic. I haven’t had soft, pliable, and incredibly yummy tortillas in forever. The last time I ate a tortilla was over 6 years ago! I made them about 4 inches and used them for sweet potato, yam, and pulled beef tacos!!! Even my husband loved them, that’s saying a lot! I will be making these over and over and over again! Thank you so much for sharing your ah-maz-ing recipes with all of us!!! xox

This is so fantastic to hear, Michelle. Very grateful to have supportive fans such as yourself!

126. Amy

I’m excited to try these tonight. I’m subbing plantain flour for the arrowroot. I have both, so maybe I’ll try and make 2 batches to test them out. I’ll let you know if it works!

127. Pingback: Balsamic portobello paleo tortillas | Melissa Power Fitness

128. Suzanne

I managed to save some for my hubby, when he returned back from his trip. It was in the fridge for a day.
    Know that he is VERY hard to please.
    He rolled his eyes when I first mentioned it to him…then didn’t say anything when I showed him.
    Later he wrapped up some natural meat and onions in one……and now…. He wants more!
    This recipe is sooooo versatile!
    A HUGE;
    BIG;
    Bigger than that! A HU~MUN~GAS… is that a word?
    Okay…….Ginormous THANK YOU!
    Suzanne

129. Pingback: pork carnitas with cilantro tomatillo sauce | Dancing With My Father

No…if you do, the batter will sort of slide around the pan and won’t spread out. They won’t stick! :)

130. David Birney

So after like a year I made these. They are much more easy to make than I figured. They are not fragile at all. After I made them I made some sausage/kale/egg saute and rolled them up inside. So yummy. Next weekend I am going to have to make way more so I can freeze them and have tortillas anytime I want. You are so awesome!

131. Vicki

Fantastic! No complaints, no tweaking the recipes. I have made enchiladas and breakfast burritos. Tortilla doesn’t break, is not to eggy, not to cocunutty…just greatness!

132. Pingback: Grain Free Primal Lasagna

133. Courtney

I know my comments are all over the place now, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on spinach tortillas. I have raw spinach at home and was gonna make spinach wraps out of that, but when I started googling, I didn’t realize that I could get spinach tortillas. But are they okay going paleo? Or… should I just keep them raw? So many questions!

134. yaya

The update with the water, works so good. I love this recipe. Every time I make a taco, I think “Thank you Stupid Easy Paleo!”. In fact, I am about to make a taco now…..Yummy!

135. Amanda

Just about to try these with a gelatin mixture instead of eggs! Hoping it works. Going to make them into savory pasta sheets for my lasagna!

136. Nissa

Thanks so much for a great recipe! I did as someone suggested and used 1/4 cup coconut milk each for half the eggs (good eggs are expensive, and I quadrupled the batch for my family of six), and I substituted tapioca starch for arrowroot and melted beef tallow for the ghee since that’s what I had on hand. We used them for pork steak, pepper and onion fajitas last night, one kiddo had one slathered with sun butter for breakfast, and another kiddo took one wrapped around turkey for lunch at school. They got a thumbs-up from all six of us! They are so delicious and very sturdy, and I love that it’s a batter and I don’t have to mess with dough. There are only three left of the twelve I made last night, and those will be gone by lunch today, so I’m going to whip up a batch that’s eight or ten times larger to have on hand in the freezer!

137. Melissa

I wasn’t sure what to expect taste or texture wise when I made these but these are amazing!! I love that they hold up well (nothing irritates me more than a tortilla that rips) and they taste good to boot..they do have a very faint taste of egg to them when I tried them alone but that does not bother me in the least bit especially since they will be filled. I live how easy they were to make as well…very happy I found and tried this recipe! Thank you!!

138. Pingback: How I did phase One | The Narrow Gate

139. Nissa

Just had to comment again and share that these worked wonderfully for enchiladas last night! They held up just as well as traditional flour tortillas, and all four kids agreed that they taste better than any tortillas I used to buy from the store. Both of my sons had three enchiladas each, and the oldest even had one for breakfast this morning. I have to say I made a pretty tasty filling and sauce, and everyone was tickled with the rare treat of raw organic white cheddar on top, but the tortillas really were the star! Thanks again. :)

140. Pingback: Nutbutter and Fruit Roll Ups » Mellow Momma

141. Pingback: Mexican Lasagna (Paleo/Primal)

142. Pingback: Paleo Diet Recipe Ideas - Ivetriedeverydiet

143. Pingback: Paleo Lasagna | Across the Pond and Back Again

144. Pingback: 12 Paleo Enchiladas with a Kick | Get Fit Bookmark

145. Pingback: Midweek Mumbles, Marvels, and Miracles – The Wolf Mama's Kitchen

146. Pingback: 50+ Gluten Free Mexican Recipes - Don't Mess with Mama

147. Pingback: Paleo Journey Day 2 | Brooks Family Chaos

148. Pingback: Paleo Cinco de Mayo Recipes | theclothesmakethegirl

149. Pingback: Baked Chicken Taquitos (Paleo-Friendly, Gluten Free) | real food hoarder

150. Pingback: Cacao Chili Pulled Pork and 5280 Beef | Be-YOU-tifully Delicious

151. Jordan

Love these! I use them to make lasagnas all the time. They’re also good with our family manicotti recipe. My Italian grandfather can’t even tell the difference!

152. Pingback: Easy Paleo Fajitas | One Day, I'll Move Out.

153. Pingback: Paleo Fish Tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce | psimadethat.com

154. Pingback: Jet Set Paleo | CHILE VERDE PORK

155. Joe

I forgot to add that I use a 3 TBS measuring cup and that makes getting the exact right amount of batter into the pan before it starts to cook very simple. (I think the measuring cup may actually be a NyQuil cup filled to the top. Not sure where I got it.)

156. Cynthia

What a great recipe! We had tacos for dinner instead of taco salad (again)!!! I love how creative everyone is with this recipe, too. It prompted me to make tortilla chips. I made 2 tortillas following your recipe which measured out to be 1/4 cup each. Then I added 1 TB of water to the remaining batter, and cooked an 1/8 cup of batter at a time. I stacked those and cut them into wedges, placed on an oiled pan in a single layer, sprayed the tops with oil and salt. Then I broiled them for a few minutes on each side until crispy- tortilla chips!

I also made crepes in advance with your recipe. I used 2.5 TB of water instead of 1 TB, and added 1 tsp maple syrup. I poured 1/8 cup of batter in the pan for each crepe. Stacked them on a plate and covered the plate in plastic wrap while still warm. The heat softened the crispy edges. Then I reheated them a few hours later in the pan and served them with berries and whipped cream.

I love the lasagna noodle and egg noodle ideas that others posted. I can’t wait to try them! Thank you so much for such a creating and sharing such a great recipe! :)

157. Pingback: 5 Recipes To Ease Your Real Food Transition Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

158. Pingback: Gluten Free Tortillas from Once A Month Mom | OAMC from Once A Month Meals

159. Pingback: Peggy Spencer ~ Just Me | Weekly Menu

160. Megan

I just tried these today! So yummy! I cooked one to “perfection” by flipping it after the sides started to curl. On the next one, I got busy at the sink and did the “gasp and run” to the stove. It was cooked more and a bit more rigid but still quite malleable. This turned out to be my favorite one.

161. Pingback: Recipe Review-Stupid Easy Paleo | Curls&Kale

162. Pingback: Paleo Pork Verde | Popular Paleo

163. Becca

This is so cool! I just made these, can’t vouch for taste bc I haven’t tried them yet but they definitely turned out soft. I am cutting out as much wheat & gluten and some dairy as I can and have noticed an improvement in how I feel and decrease in my year round allergy symptoms so it’s great to see some type of tortilla I can use to wrap things in! I tried some brown rice frozen section tortillas & they’re ok, but not very soft. Think I’m going to use one tonight then freeze the other 2. Thanks for the recipe :)

164. Becca

Just have to add now that I’ve actually eaten one, these are amazing!! I just had a taco with it and it honestly just tasted like a normal taco, just a little harder to hold together! The texture does seem eggy but the taste was not it worked with the taco ingredients. Can’t wait for a breakfast burrito tomorrow and next time to make crepes yum! Totally going to check out the rest of your site when I get time :)

165. Pingback: Slow-Cooker Pineapple Pulled Pork | The MommypotamusThe Mommypotamus |

166. Tera

OMG I can’t believe how well these worked! Using my small omelet pan I got 4 taco-sized tortillas out of the recipe. The are pliable, soft yet chewy, and absolutely strong enough to hold the 2 chicken tacos I made for dinner….then the egg taco I had for breakfast…then the veggie taco I had the day after that! I stored the leftovers in the fridge and just quickly warmed them in a skillet before using. YUM.

167. Jessica

Steph, I must say. I’ve tried other versions of paleo tortillas and they never made it to the dinner table. They were far too eggy and spongy. My husband is half Mexican, half Italian and a pilot in the Marine Corps so we are always watching what we eat. He has been missing tortillas for some time and I found your blog. I subbed in Tapioca Starch because I was out of arrowroot flour. And I used lard (because it’s how true Mexicans make tortillas). The results were fantastic. I tripled the batch so we could save some for breakfast. My husband is probably going to come find you and hug you. You rock :)

That is so fantastic, Jessica!! I love the idea of using lard, too…definitely more traditional and tapioca works really well in this recipe. Big hugs to you guys!

168. Pingback: Chicken Chili Verde Tacos | Just Love Your Guts

169. Pingback: My Recipe List! (June) | Journeys and joys of a lifestyle in Fitness, Health, CrossFit and Paleo

170. Pingback: How to make freezer breakfast burritos (+ recipe for Goat Cheese Green Chili Breakfast Burritos)

171. Chelsa

I love these!! I’ve made them at least a dozen times since I found the reciepe several months ago. My favorite use is to use them to make enchiladas! Yum!!!!

172. Melisa

I always thought tortillas would be too much trouble to make but there were quick and easy. They folded without cracking and didn’t taste eggy or coconutty. DS won’t eat things made with coconut flour but I don’t think he’ll be able to tell there is a tiny bit in these.

173. Shannon

Hey Step! Love this recipe for Paleo Tortillas. I probably make it once a week. I was having a problem with the coconut flour making little lumps in the batter but I mixed everything in the blender and it came out awesome! No lumps and easy pouring and clean up.

Thanks again,
    Shannon
    So. CA

Hi Shannon! Great tip! That coconut flour is pesky sometimes. I’ve started doing it that way, too. Been meaning to update the post!

174. Pingback: Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls | Living Loving Paleo

175. Pingback: Can I still call this a blog? | Small Town Girl in a Big City World

176. Katie

Well. THIS IS A GAME CHANGER.

I found this recipe and immediately made crepes. And now I’m fantasizing about paleo-fying the classic crepe cake!

Thank you for this! Magic!

177. Pingback: Tortillas

178. Pingback: How Going Paleo Eliminated My Sugar Cravings » Healy Eats Real

179. Shannon in BC!

OK. I have known about these tortillas for almost a year now. I even had a very close friend make them and RAVE about how wonderful they were. I didn’t believe it. Last night I was inspired to give them a try because if I had to eat fajitas or tacos over salad one more time I thought I might lose my mind!

These tortillas are LIFE CHANGING! They look EXACTLY like the pictures, they fold, they hold up, they don’t rip, they don’t crumble, they aren’t eggy and weird. I made 15 tortillas in total because once I got going with them I just couldn’t stop and had to make another batch and then another!

It has been so very long since I ate something “handheld”, it was glorious.

I should admit that I was a little irritated with the first two because they stuck to the pan….but as I got going and the pan got hot enough and a bit “seasoned”, they went in and came out like little champions! I agree with a previous commenter that these actually worked even better without greasing my non-stick…..found they came out better.

Anyway…………amazing!

(and to the point of the lumpiness…I found if I whisked and then let it sit for about 3 minutes and then re-whisked, the lumps disappeared…without having to dirty the blender.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

180. Stephanie

Steph, you are a genius! And I’m kicking myself for putting off making these for so long! I AM IN LOVE! They were so so so stupid easy ;) and delicious! I filled one with leftover pulled pork and bit into it and SIGHED happily because I’ve missed tacos!!

Thank you so much for this super easy staple recipe– I’ll be making them regularly!

181. Pingback: Paleo Gluten Free Tortillas

182. Pingback: Stuffed Berry Crepes with Coconut Cream | Light Guided Path

183. Pingback: Paleo challenge – the prep work and week 1 | Life, Laughter & Unsweet Tea

184. Basmah

I used to make “Paleo Bread” for sandwiches, but I haven’t found one that really made me want to make it again – too long to make, and ended up being nutty-tasting and never rose. I made these tortillas, and they are amazing!! I use them for sandwich wraps and tacos. I added some flax meal this batch, and replaced one egg with just egg whites to limit the lumpiness. I will probably try experimenting with different seasonings – I just love this recipe so much, thank you for sharing!!!

185. Susan Hayes

I’m doing my first Whole30, starting Monday. Can I eat these while doing that? I’m so new to it, I’d really appreciate your thoughts!

186. Chris

I am not strictly “paleo” or anything but I have been attempting to reduce carbs and find potential carb substitutes for that purpose. My carb Achilles’ heel are tortillas. I can’t live without breakfast tacos so was looking rather skeptically for any tortilla substitutes.

I’m also not exactly a skilled cook or anything but this looked easy enough to try. I have to say even though I probably didn’t make them as well as I could have they were quite good and greatly surpassed my expectations. The slight egg flavor actually made them quite good for breakfast tacos which were filled with scrambled egg whites, sausage, avocado slices, cheese and salsa.

I can see these being used for many other things so will definitely be making these in huge batches next time. Thanks for a great tortilla alternative! Do you accept or entertain marriage proposals on your blog? :D

187. Jaime

Great recipe! Thank you! I made them tonight with chicken fajitas. I love that they are soft and bend so nicely without breaking. They were so good I made a batch for dessert with a little cinnamon and vanilla. We rolled them up with some fresh strawberries and coconut cream. Yum! Thanks again!

188. Red

I literally just made these for my GF husband. Tripled the recipe, used coconut oil in place of ghee and measured out 1/3 cup to pour in a 9 inch pan. They came out FANTASTIC! Thanks for the recipe!

189. Maggie

These are amazing! I’ve been missing tortillas for some time. I now make a batch every couple days. ;) I also cut them up into triangles and fry them for a couple of minutes in coconut oil to get delicious, crunchy tortilla chips!

190. Pingback: Coconut Crazy! or Whole 30, Day 7 | Mighty Morphin' Mama

191. Amit Shrivastava

Hi,

Should I just double the ingredients if I want to make a double batch?

Thanks for all the great recipes!

Amit

192. Lee

Steph, these are absolutely delicious. Better than any white flour crepe AND they flip beautifully. Is it okay to share to my FB wall? Now I’m a happy wheat free girl. Thanks!! :)

Hi Lee! All I ask is that you not print the directions, but you’re free to share the ingredients. Thank you!

Hi Hannah…I’m not sure…I haven’t tested that combination, but I really doubt it. The arrowroot forms the starch base that keeps the tortilla together. If not, you’d be left with gelatinous eggs.

1. Hannah

Okay. Thanks. The reason I was asking was that I can’t use starch, and I’m trying to stay away from nuts, so the almond flour is out. I’m following the SCD.

193. Pingback: Hot, Sunny Weekend, Packed with People and Food | Fitty vs Fatty

194. Jane

Steph – nuts.com sells most of these flours online for your “middle of nowhere” followers. I’ve been using them for years…

195. Pamela

Tried a batch of these last night and I have to say this is the absolute first Paleo recipe that didn’t need to alter on my own… They are true to what you said they are. Absolutely love them! I’m thinking because of their texture they would probably make a great noodle as well! I’m going to try making some Haluski this weekend and cut these tortillas in strips like noodles. I’m pretty sure they are going to be fantastic! :). Thank you… Thank you… Thank you!!!!! :)

196. Pingback: Pork Chili Verde—Paleo & Whole30 Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

197. Pingback: Paleo Breakfast Easy Recipes | Paleo Recipes