Paleo Caramelized Onion Cauliflower “Cous Cous”

DSC_0722

Cauliflower continues to surprise me with how tasty it can be. This dish came out creamy, with sweetness from the onions and a savory note for good measure. The only way I could adequately describe it was “comfort food”.

The inspiration for this dish came from an episode of 30 Minute Meals…yes, I love me some Food Network shows! I knew I wanted to make a Paleo version but have included options here for using ghee and / or heavy cream if they are foods you eat (they are both devoid of the proteins that make dairy irritating to some folks and are essentially pure fat). If not, it works great with coconut oil and coconut milk. The anchovies end up adding a layer of flavor to the dish that doesn’t taste of fish at all…in fact, it adds a nutty and savory umami undertone.

Makes: about 4 side dish servings

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Using a food processor or blender, pulse the cauliflower down into small bits about the size of cous cous. You don’t want big chunks, but you also don’t want it to become mush. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the coconut oil and anchovies. If using fillets, break them up and allow them to basically melt into the oil.  DSC_0716
  3. Add the onion, bay leaves, salt and pepper and cook over medium-low heat until the onions begin to caramelize but not get brown or burn. This process can take up to 20 minutes, so use that time to do some clean up or prepare some of the other components of your meal.
  4. After the onions are caramelized, stir in the cauliflower and coconut milk, and turn the heat up to medium. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is softened but not mushy.
  5. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Get it!

I'd like the free Stupid Easy Paleo Quickstart Mini-Course delivered to my inbox.

I never share your email address with anyone...spammers suck!

23 thoughts on “Paleo Caramelized Onion Cauliflower “Cous Cous”

1. Amy

This looks SOOOO good!
    I wonder if it would work to use Paleo Pot’s method on the Mexican Rice recipe to cook this in the crockpot? Might have to try precooking the onions and adding to the crockpot with the cauliflower “chunked” instead of “riced”.
    Any thoughts? :)

2. Elizabeth-Anne

What kind of food processor do you have? I’m in the middle of my whole 30 and I think I’m going to stick with paleo so I thought I would invest in a good one.

3. Liz

Made this on Friday night & it was deeeelicious! This will definitely become a regular fixture on our meal plans. As new paleos, my partner & I are loving all the recipes & information on your site – thanks for all your great resources!

4. Matilda

I don’t remember how I found your website, but I had this recipe pin in my sane/paleo recipes, so I thought I would give it a try.
    My question is seafood doesn’t agree with me, so is there anything else you can use other than the anchovy paste? Being that it’s a small amount I would be fine with it, but in general I don’t cook with fish cause normally I can’t deal with it.

Hi Matilda…you can try using something like coconut aminos to give that same savory flavor or else I think the recipe would be really tasty without it.

5. Suzanne

I’m brand new to paleo and this looks great! Can’t wait to try!
    What area of the grocery store do you usually find anchovies? Anything I need to watch out for on the label?

Hi Suzanne…usually you can find them with the canned fish…or near the Italian foods! The only ingredient should be anchovies or sometimes, salt. Glad you’re here!!

6. Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark

You will have to excuse me because I’m pinning just about every single thing of yours after making your balsamic rosemary butternut squash tonight. This recipe looks very interesting and unique, anchovy paste is officially on the supermarket list for the week!

7. Pingback: Fall Seasonal Produce Guide Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes to Help You Just Eat Real Food

8. Pingback: Quinoa: The Not So Superfood (low in protein, unsustainable, inflammatory and hard to digest) - Grass Fed Girl

9. Pingback: 6 Easy Paleo Recipe Ingredient Swaps Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

10. Pingback: Is Couscous Paleo? | The Paleo Diet Food List