Garlic Ginger Brussels Sprouts

My new ebook, The Paleo Athlete, is now available ! It's 225 pages of practical advice, science, tips and recipes to help you dial in your performance in any sport. Whether your sport focuses on strength & power, high-intensity training or endurance, you'll find something useful!

DSC_0720 2 More veggies, please!

This is a pretty simple side dish that compliments virtually any main. To save cooking time, I sliced the Brussels sprouts thinly, but if you’re crunched you could either buy them pre-sliced (I’ve seen them at Trader Joe’s) or halve and steam them, then throw them in the pan. I don’t recommend putting them in whole because they’ll take forever to cook. Adding a splash of coconut aminos at the end of cooking is a nice compliment, but if you don’t have it, salt will do just fine. Just taste before adding depending on how salty the bacon is.

Ingredients:

• 4 pieces of bacon, chopped
  • 1 lb. (500 g) Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
  • 2 carrots, cut into ribbons with a veggie peeler
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1″ piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • Salt and pepper to taste

DSC_0732 Directions:

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, render the bacon until it’s crispy.
  2. Add the thinly sliced Brussels sprouts and carrots. Cook on medium-high heat for about 6-8 minutes or until the sprouts have begun to brown.
  3. Add the garlic and ginger in the last 1-2 minutes of cooking and stir to combine (adding the garlic at the end reduces the chance it’ll burn and taste bitter).
  4. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Red pepper flakes are also good instead of black pepper.
Get it!

I'd like the free Stupid Easy Paleo Quickstart Mini-Course delivered to my inbox.

I never share your email address with anyone...spammers suck!

28 thoughts on “Garlic Ginger Brussels Sprouts

1. Monique

This is amazing!
    I am starting my journey next week and have my freezer filled with bacon! I so look forward to this. My boyfriend is a meat eater to the max and is so excited about all the bacon!
    Following you and getting so inspired. Thank you!

2. Angie

If someone isn’t a bacon eater (I know, don’t excommunicate me from the paleo community for that admission), what fat would be a good replacement for this?

Hey stranger ;) How about something like pancetta or prosciutto for flavor? If you’re trying to stay away from all similar products, I think ghee or coconut oil would give a great flavor.

3. Kay

My partner and I are thinking of going Paleo. I made this last night with pretty good results. I think next time I’ll add more bacon. I also chopped the ginger instead of grating it. Next time I will grate it, I think it will make a big difference in how subtle the ginger flavor will be.

Hi Kay! Oh for sure…ginger can be pretty harsh if you bite into chunks of it. Definitely try grating it or as an alternative, you could use ground ginger instead.

4. Katie

Be careful with bacon. Most of it isn’t allowed on the whole 30 plan. Be sure to make sure it has no additives, like sugar. It’s best to get it fresh from the butcher.

5. maura

These are amazing. I made a double batch of them and half of them were gone the very first night btwn my bf and I. Its definitely a recipe that will become part of the rotation!

6. Pingback: The Why’s and How’s of Fermentation

7. CZ

Another hit Steph! I made this last night and had leftovers for lunch. I’ve been trying to get my bf to eat more veggies and this dish did the job! So delish. I also wanted to test this recipe for a Thanksgiving side dish. I think my fam will LOVE it. Thanks again!

8. Pingback: Amazing Health Benefits Of Garlic

9. Veronica

I know this is a super late post but I’m new to Paleo and was wondering if I can substitute turkey bacon (for religious reasons) for regular bacon. Thanks!

10. Kahiry Chagoya

Holy Mother of Abraham Lincoln is this good. Shockingly good. My 7 year old carnivore gobbled brussel sprouts up like I was about to take them away. Never happened before. Thank you!