Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Coconut Pudding

Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Coconut Pudding | stupideasypaleo.com This dairy-free dark chocolate coconut pudding has 4 ingredients and is stupid-easy to make. Believe it!

Dark chocolate is one of those foods that is part of my Paleo because I know it fits in with my context, and I try to stick to soy lecithin-free, very dark (85%+), high quality stuff when I can. I wanted to use dark chocolate in an ultra simple dessert and instead of opting for a mousse – which has eggs – I incorporated coconut milk and gelatin to firm up this pudding-esque treat. It’s not very sweet because I didn’t add anything extra besides what’s in the chocolate, and it’s very rich, so I served it in tiny espresso glasses for just a couple lush bites.

If you can’t find gelatin sheets, you can probably use another form as long as it will firm up two cups of liquid – definitely check the label for directions.

Ingredients for Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Coconut Pudding

Directions for Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Coconut Pudding

1. Prepare the gelatin by following the directions on the package. Mine required soaking the sheets in cold water for five minutes, then discarding the water.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the coconut milk on medium-low in a heavy bottomed pot. You want to warm it enough to dissolve the gelatin but not boiling – that will make it harder for the gelatin to actually set.
  3. Once the coconut milk is very warm but not boiling, remove if from the heat and stir in the chopped dark chocolate until it melts. Add the vanilla extract.
  4. Then, add the softened gelatin sheets and stir thoroughly until they dissolve, 1-2 minutes.
  5. Pour into your desired glasses or cups and chill for at least 2 hours or until set.

Like this post? Give it a +1 on Google+

Get it!

I'd like the free Stupid Easy Paleo Quickstart Mini-Course delivered to my inbox.

I never share your email address with anyone...spammers suck!

52 thoughts on “Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Coconut Pudding

1. Yolanda

This sounds really good. I am confused about the gelatin, though. “Sheets” of gelatin – you soak them, in how much water? Do you discard the water then? Could I use powdered Knox gelatin? If so, how would I do that?

Hi Yolanda…I soaked the sheets of gelatin, discarded the water, and put the softened gelatin sheets into the warm coconut milk and chocolate. If you’re using Knox, I would warm the coconut milk, melt the chocolate in it, and then stir in the gelatin from the packet.

Hi Christina! I would check the package for you but I can’t find it in my local store (we had that question before). It’s 2 cups of liquid so however much you’d use to thicken 2 cups of liquid as called for on the package. Sorry!

2. Belinda

Can you substitute the gelatin with something else? Maybe Arrowroot? I don’t eat gelatin but i am dying to try this amazing recipe!!!

Hi Belinda…you could try making something like a mousse which involves using whipped egg whites to firm it up (I was making this for someone who cannot eat eggs, hence my use of the gelatin as a thickener). Here is another option…a Pots de Creme from Nom Nom Paleo: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/44223814717/mexican-chocolate-pots-de-creme-dairy-free. You could leave out the ancho chili powder and cinnamon for a similar, very dense effect to this dessert. Hope that gives you some options.

2. staci

Google “agar agar”, it’s a seaweed product that works similarly to gelatin, I get it in little packets at my asian market. The method for using it is very different though, so you’ll have to look for pudding recipes that use it and compare, to figure out HOW to use it.

3. Michelle

Try chia seeds in place of gelatin. They create a thick pudding like consistency when soaked in liquid. I’d try two or three tablespoons per cup of coconut milk. You can grind them first in a blend tech or vitamix if you don’t like the consistency of the whole seeds.

3. Allie

Looks awesome! I think I’ll try this, but I need to cut my fat intake so am thinking about using not-full-fat coconut milk and cocoa powder. Thoughts? Disaster?

Sorry to hear how it turned out Allie. Honestly we could only eat such a small amount at a time because it was so rich so the full fat didn’t seem to be a problem around these parts :)

4. Patty White

I am new to using gelatin, but I just bought Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin Collagen Joint Care. It says on the label that one tablespoon gels one pint of liquid. So, do I just skip step 1 and pour the one tablespoon of gelatin over the coconut milk? And before or after I heat it? Thanks. This recipe looks so wonderful, and I don’t want to ruin it?

Hi Patty! Hmmmm I would assume so yes…one tablespoon per pint (which is 2 cups). I would gently heat the coconut milk to allow the chocolate to melt. Then add the gelatin and stir until it dissolves. I checked on their website and they seem to include a variety of preparations. Just be sure not to heat the coconut milk too much :)

5. Sonic

Hi all,

For those that don’t want to use gelatin a great substitute is Agar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar) you can get it in the ASIAN section of the supermarket etc . It’s made of of seaweed so suitable if you have vegan friends.

Best thing about Agar, just throw it in with everything else bring to a boil and your done. It also sets quickly and without refrigeration.. One thing to note you only need a little, eg 1.5-2grams per 2cups of liquid so don’t use it like Gelatin or else you will have a rubber ball of chocolate.

It’s very versatile ingredient and can be used in all sorts of paleo friendly Jams, sauces etc

Great site and great recipe made it last night and can’t stop eating it :)

GREAT option, Sonic. Never even thought about agar, but that might be yet another option for folks who want to avoid gelatin. Thanks for writing in!

6. Cindy

Just found your website: thank you! What is the brand(s) name you used that doesn’t have soy lecithin in the chocolate?

Hi Cindy! I used Green & Blacks (here in the UK it doesn’t have soy lecithin though apparently in the States some of them do).

7. Amanda Coppola

Does this set up enough that I could put it into a pie shell and make like a chocolate cream pie with it??

8. Pingback: The Perks of the Paleo Diet | Soundness of Body & Mind

9. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Coconut Chia Pudding (Paleo and Dairy-Free) Stupid Easy Paleo - Easy Paleo Recipes

10. bob

I made my version of this a couple of days ago. I am reacting to coconut milk, so I boiled almond milk with agar agar powder. Unfortunately I was guessing on the amounts, so it didn’t quite set up enough for me. So I added it to the blender with some chia seeds, carob powder, vanilla bean powder, flaxseed oil and a little stevia (I can’t have chocolate either). After being in the fridge overnight it set up well, and I have been enjoying it as a lovely dessert – light, and not too sweet. Thanks for the simple recipe =). I will be making this again, and I’m determined to nail the agar agar proportions. When I do I’ll report back!

Awesome, Bob! Please do…I’ve never worked with agar agar before, and I’m curious to know how it turned out.

11. sheri

do you mean the coconut milk that comes in a can often used in thai cooking or the milk in the carton like Silk or So Delicious?

12. Pingback: Paleo Dark Chocolate Pudding | Pintester

13. Pingback: Currently Craving

14. Desiree

I made this last night for some friends and it was a huge hit. I made it the night and let it set in the refrigerator. Before serving, I added a strawberry reduction (1 cup of strawberries boiled in 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 cup of natural honey for 30 mins). Hah, I don’t know about this “couple of lush bites” biz is, we divided the entire thing into 4 servings and people were licking the glasses. ;)

15. bob

Okay, after trying this a few times I think I have a respectable agar agar substitute. I’ve changed the directions as follows:

1. Pour the coconut milk into a heavy bottomed pot, and lightly sprinkle 1/2 tsp agar agar powder* over the surface.
    2. Turn the heat to medium and stir the agar agar in gently for a few seconds.
    3. Bring the mixture to a boil, and stir it every 20-30 seconds. Watch it VERY carefully, as the mixture can boil over in a second. (I forgot to watch it like a hawk, and had a sticky mess to clean up).
    4. Boil the coconut milk for one to two minutes, or until the agar agar is completely dissolved. Keep stirring while it boils, scraping the bottom of the pan so that the agar agar mixes into the mixture and doesn’t collect on the bottom of the pan. (I check if it is dissolved by dipping my spatula in and seeing if there are any agar agar specks in the milk while it runs off the spatula).
    5. Remove if from the heat and stir in the chopped dark chocolate until it melts. Add the vanilla extract.
    6. Pour into your desired glasses or cups and chill for at least 30 minutes or until set. Agar agar also sets at room temperature, but takes longer. (Because coconut milk needs refrigeration I choose to put them in the fridge to set).
    I don’t recommend poking the pudding to test if it is set, as agar agar doesn’t set up if you do this too early (no idea why). Just shake the pudding gently side to side, and if it doesn’t move, then you can poke it to check.

*I haven’t tried this with agar agar flakes or bar. If you do, just use the same weight of agar agar (1 gram). You will probably need to cook it a little longer to ensure it is all dissolved.

16. Pingback: Death By Chocolate Round-Up - Cavewife Cooks