Paleo Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

Paleo Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce | stupideasypaleo.com Dipping sauces can take the same basic meal template and jazz things up to keep you from suffering from FBS (Food Boredom Syndrome). Plain chicken and broccoli again? Drizzle on some Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce. Need an accompaniment for some beautiful cooked, chilled shrimp? This one does the trick, too. It does have honey (so don’t go overboard and eat gallons of it) but if you’re looking for something to stave off FBS, feel good that it doesn’t contain weird chemicals or high-fructose corn syrup like most of the prepared sauces in the market.

No arrowroot powder? You could use tapioca flour as a thickener. Wish to avoid those completely? You can gently reduce the sauce until it thickens a bit, though it won’t have the same texture as arrowroot or tapioca.

Paleo Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce | stupideasypaleo.com

Ingredients for Paleo Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

Directions for Paleo Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

1. Mince the garlic finely and use a microplane grater to grate down the ginger (or mince very finely).
  2. In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients: the vinegar, garlic, honey, red chilis, arrowroot, ginger, salt and cayenne pepper (if desired). Stir so the arrowroot is dissolved.
  3. Bring the ingredients to a boil and cook briefly (~1 min or less) until the sauce thickens.
  4. Cool and serve alongside your favorite meats for dipping. It’s be super tasty with chicken, as a sauce on top of salmon or drizzled on top of stir-fried veggies.

What’s your favorite dipping sauce you’d like to see a Paleo version of?

Paleo Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce | stupideasypaleo.com

21 thoughts on “Paleo Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce

1. Lauren Hinsman

Can I store this in a jar in the fridge for a while? I’d love to make this in bulk and can it. Thanks!!

Hi Lauren…I think that with the acid from the vinegar it’d store pretty well for 3-5 days or so but since it contains no chemical preservatives, I’m not sure about longer than that even with canning. Maybe another reader with some experience in this area can chime in. I think you could make a big batch and freeze it into cubes though for longer term storage if that’s an option.

2. J.

Can’t wait to try this. I absolutely love sweet and hot put together. That being said, to comment on the top of the page…a Paleo version of a mango habanero sauce would be awesome.

3. Tara

OMG, I love you so much right now. This is one of my favorite foods on the planet and I’ve been stuck using the kind with the Asian writing on the front…I think it might be the May Ploy that someone mentioned earlier…I can’t wait to make my own now. :D

4. Susan P

Why does your “print” button always take me to Pinterest? Love your recipes but I would be happier if I could print them off. I never cook from a computer. Thanks much!

Hi Susan….we’ve tried to disable that annoying floating Pinterest button but it tags all images. If you hover slightly to the left of the Print button and click, it’ll take you to the recipe print page.

5. Sarah Hackley

I’m currently doing a Whole30 and one of the things I’m missing the most are dipping sauces! I would love to try this sauce but honey(and all sweeteners) are off-limits. Do you have any suggestions on what we could substitute? My husband suggested a little apple juice, maybe, but my fear is that would change the consistency too much. I’d love your ideas! :) Thanks in advance!

1. Candace Ricciardi

Hi Sarah,

Pat on the back to the hubs. Apple juice isn’t a bad idea, however I agree on the consistency. My suggestion would be to reduce the juice to thicken it. However, be mindful of how much you use as to not miss the ideas of Whole 30 and slaying those sugar dragons. I wish you all the best on your Whole 30. :)

1. Cody

I don’t think apple juice would be a good idea, even if you make it yourself. It’s nutritionally just fruit sugar, which isn’t really in the spirit of Whole 30.
        I may be wrong but that was my initial thought

Hi Cody,

The fruit thing is a grey area for some people. As a sweetener in a recipe, Whole30 gives fruit juices a green light. Sitting down for a big glass of OJ, for example, not so much.

1. Sarah Hackley

Fruit juices have the OK for the Whole30, but we decided to play it safe and wait to make this until after our Whole30 was over. We finished Monday (two days ago!) so we’re a go! I think I know what will be on an upcoming meal plan!

6. Erica

I’m going to make this and can it for later. the vinegar and sugar from the honey is preservative enough. Just make sure your bottles/jars are sterilised (heat them in oven at 180c for 10 minutes) and bottle up the sauce while everything is still hot so it seals the lid when you put it on.

7. Deedee

Quick question, if white wine vinegar isn’t available to me.. any other types of vinegar you’d recommend?