Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs

Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com

Scotch eggs…part curious oddity, part absolutely tantalizing mash up of burger and egg. My scotch egg inspiration is none other than Mel from The Clothes Make the Girl. You may know her as the fantabulous creator of cookbook Well Fed 2. Her Scotch Eggs recipe in Well Fed (the original) were nothing short of mind-blowing, and I’ve loved them ever since.

This is one of the 30 recipes featured in my upcoming ebook, The Paleo Athlete, coming in January! Click here to check out a preview chapter.

Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com

What’s a Scotch egg? Take seasoned ground meat, envelope a perfectly boiled egg inside and you get the protein-packed snack you see here. Traditionally, Scotch eggs are breaded (yuck…gluten!) so all we do is leave that part off. Easy peasy. There are as many conceivable combinations for seasonings and meat as you can imagine, but I was looking for a way to use my Homemade Gingerbread Spice Mix with cinnamon, ginger and other warm spices. My mind wandered from pork to breakfast to breakfast sausage (and I remembered Popular Paleo made a breakfast-y Scotch egg recipe) and out popped these (ha…no pun intended). Another plus? They’re great as a pre-workout snack!

Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com

Makes: 6 Scotch eggs

Ingredients for Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs

• 6 medium eggs
  • 1 pound (500 grams) lean ground pork
  • 1 Tablespoon homemade gingerbread spice mix (click for recipe)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon honey (optional)

Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com

Directions for Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs

1. Boil 6 eggs. To prevent the yolks from getting grey, I cover the eggs with water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Cover the pot and turn the heat off. Let sit for 10 minutes. Drain the hot water and cover with cold water for a few minutes. Peel and set aside. (You can boil the eggs ahead of time to save this step). Don’t use very fresh eggs…they’ll be harder to peel.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the ground pork, gingerbread spice mix, salt, pepper and honey (optional). Mix until combined but don’t over mix…that’ll make the meat tough. Now it’s time to assemble the scotch eggs.
  4. For each scotch egg: Fill a 1/3 cup measure with the seasoned ground pork and turn the lump into your hand. Flatten the pork into a wide circle (like you’re making a burger). Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com
  5. Put the egg in the center. Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com
  6. Carefully fold the meat circle up, gradually flattening as you go, until the egg is shrouded in meaty goodness. Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com
  7. Make sure there are no cracks and that the meaty suit of armor is uniform. Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com
  8. Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Eat hot or cold.

Change It Up

Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com

Have you ever tried Scotch eggs? Do you have a favorite flavor combo?

Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs | stupideasypaleo.com

Get it!

I'd like the free Stupid Easy Paleo Quickstart Mini-Course delivered to my inbox.

I never share your email address with anyone...spammers suck!

45 thoughts on “Paleo Breakfast Sausage Scotch Eggs

1. Meg

How amazing Steph! I WILL LOVE THESE! I have never had them before, but I see them all of the time and I just know they’d be a new fav

2. Bob

These are great!!! But 15 minutes at 350* wasn’t enough….. I cranked it to 375* (multi tasking with chix breasts) and added about another 20 minutes.
    Can’t wait for the wild boar sausage to be ready!!!!!

1. Bob

Yup…. Measured each egg. No worries though. They came out great and didn’t last long. Glad I got the first two. Ovens are a bit subjective. Gonna try the toaster oven next time to see the timing. The sausage fat content can make a difference too.

Happy Thanksgiving. Turkey on the smoker now. Mmmmmmm!!!!

Hi Bob…I figured out why. I’m living in Scotland for a few months and the oven here is convection…I always forget. It makes things cook a lot faster. I’ve adjusted the time accordingly. Thanks for commenting! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

3. Karen

I make these about four times a year just for variety and because they are delicious. Last week I made them using a mixture I had made meatballs with so they were Italian Scottish Eggs! Yum. Delicious. Like you, I don’t bread them and I finish them off in the oven. I’ve done many different varieties. I prefer a beef and sausage mix but encourage people to get creative in both the choices of ground meats and spices. These are great travel food btw!

1. Beau

I’ve heard, though never been there, that they do sell them in convenience stores in the UK. Maybe a reader from over the sea can confirm!

I’ll have to keep an eye out while I’m here but I’ve only seen them a couple times (shrouded in breading).

4. Nella

Just made these and holy cow, amazing! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe! I loved the gingerbread spice in it as well. Encore! Keep me coming!!

5. Nisha

Hello! this sound delicious – how long do you reckon they would keep in the fridge/do they reheat well? I only cook for myself so eating 6 in a day would be hard!

6. Jeannie Sloop

I just made these and they were amazing. The gingerbread spice mix made the pork taste wonderful. I will be making these often. Thank you for the seriously delicious recipes your post!

7. Brittany

I saw another reader mention the temp and time had to be adjusted and you responded saying the recipe was different because you had a connection oven what it’s the temp and time for a regular oven?

8. Tasha

These are amazing!! I am addicted!! I’ve had them for breakfast and a pre-workout snack – and they perfect! They go great with 1\2 an avocado!! Yum!!!

9. Allen

I couldn’t get all six of the eggs encased by the one pound of pork. I have cerebral palsy, and I thought that may be part of the problem. So, I asked a neighbor for help. She managed to get all six eggs fully encased, but, when done five of the six had a bit of egg showing through. They tasted quite good, though.

Hi Allen! It may be worth noting that if your eggs are on the large to very large size, sometimes the meat will be quite thin.

10. Amber

Just made these. They cooked perfectly. I did use the gingerbread spice mix you recommended and next time I won’t use those measurements. Waaaaaay too much cinnamon. My tongue actually is a little numb. lol I think maybe a spicier mix of spices would be yummy.

11. Wendy Nalder

Thanks for sharing! Mine are in the oven right now! Been doing paleo for almost 3 week, so much easier than atkins. Thanks for the great website ;-)

12. Mark

I love to make scotch eggs – these look good but you should try rolling the meat a little thinner then rolling the covered egg in breadcrumbs. the extra golden breading on the outside really completes the taste otherwise it’s just kind of a meaty egg. Less meat and a spicy or herby breading on the outside really makes the egg the star.

Hi Mark, I appreciate the thought on rolling the meat thinner. When I’ve done that, though, the meat cracks upon baking. Any tips? Also, in Paleo we don’t eat bread / bread crumbs so that’s why these aren’t coated.

13. Leslie Hughes

I finally made a batch today and they are delicious! My 12 year old son tried one and immediately said I need to make more. I hope he leaves me a few for my pre-workout snack for my early training days. ;)

14. Glory

try using crushed pork rinds and coconut flakes for the traditional breading. I find it adds great flavour and crunch.

15. Megan

I have these in the oven right now! I often have to be at work by 6am, and it can be a struggle to find the time make myself a good protein-packed breakfast without having to wake up at some ungodly hour. I think these are going to be great, and even let me sleep in a little bit later! I did them with turkey breakfast sausage, a little honey and various spices. I can’t wait to try them tomorrow morning!