Dark chocolate mint coconut butter cups are so tempting that I only make them once a year at the holidays as sweet little homemade gifts for family & friends.
They’re pretty easy to make and you can put together a large batch relatively quickly. Trust me, they’re always a huge hit!
Not a fan of mint? You can leave out the peppermint extract and just use vanilla extract. They’re still good, but if you’re a fan of peppermint patties, you should give it a try.
You can also buy pre-made coconut butter if you’re short on time.
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (reserve 1-2 tbsp on the side as garnish)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 drops peppermint extract, or more depending on your taste
- 12 ounces (350 grams) high quality dark chocolate
- Cupcake wrappers (large or small, your choice)
- Add the shredded coconut, coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt to a food processor and allow it to run for several minutes until the coconut smooths out. You may need to add slightly more coconut oil, and if your blade isn't sharp, you'll not end up with a totally smooth result. You may want to opt for a store-bought coconut butter if you don't have a machine that can handle the coconut.
- Stir in the peppermint extract one drop at a time until it's as minty as you prefer.
- In a double boiler or in the microwave, gently melt the chocolate. I prefer a double boiler since it's easy to keep the chocolate spreadable.
- Place a spoonful of melted chocolate into the wrapper, smoothing it out with the back of the spoon to create sides and a bottom. Refrigerate until hardened.
- Then, scoop a small amount of the filling into the cup and flatten until it covers the bottom. Hint: one batch of the coconut butter filling should make ~6 large cups or 10-12 small ones.
- Place another spoonful of melted chocolate on top and smooth out. Refrigerate to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator for best results. May also be kept frozen!
Pin this Dark Chocolate Coconut Butter Cups recipe for later!
If you'd like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, you must get written permission first. Please use the contact form to send me a message before using any of my content on your blog / website.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Stupid Easy Paleo, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.