Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups

My new ebook, The Paleo Athlete, is now available ! Dial in your performance, get stronger and improve body composition for any sport with a real food approach. Includes pre- and post-workout nutrition and competition day strategies!

Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter CupsDark chocolate mint coconut butter cups are so tempting that I only make them once a year at the holidays as sweet little homemade gifts for family & friends. They’re pretty easy to make and you can put together a large batch relatively quickly. Trust me, they’re always a huge hit!

Not a fan of mint? You can leave out the peppermint extract and just use vanilla extract. They’re still good, but if you’re a fan of peppermint patties, you should give it a try. You can also buy pre-made coconut butter if you’re short on time.

Ingredients for the Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups:

Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups

Directions for the Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups:

1. In a food processor or high speed blender, combine the coconut, vanilla and sea salt.
  2. Allow to process for several minutes – scraping down the sides of the bowl a couple times – until the coconut starts to become smooth. You may need to add melted coconut oil (1+ Tablespoon) to adjust the texture and make it stickier.
  3. Optional: add the peppermint essential oil and combine well.
  4. Remove to a separate container. You may have extra coconut butter left over. Trust me, you’ll find some way to eat it…it’s really good.
  5. Break chocolate into chunks and put in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high, stirring frequently, until melted. The time completely depends on how dark the chocolate is, percent-wise and how powerful your microwave is. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. You could also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate on the stovetop (my preferred method).

Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups

Assembling the Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups:

• Cupcake wrappers (large or small, your choice)
  • Mint coconut butter filling from above
  1. Place a spoonful of melted chocolate into the wrapper, smoothing it out with the back of the spoon to create sides and a bottom. Refrigerate until hardened.
  2. Then, scoop a small amount of the filling into the cup and flatten until it covers the bottom. Hint: one batch of the coconut butter filling should make ~6 large cups or 10-12 small ones.
  3. Place another spoonful of melted chocolate on top and smooth out. Refrigerate to harden.
  4. Store in the refrigerator for best results. May also be kept frozen!

Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups

Change it Up:

Dark chocolate mint…are you a fan? Let me know in the comments below!

Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups

61 thoughts on “Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups

1. Kathy Austin

I am thinking of making these to take to a carry in lunch tomorrow at work… Will they be okay to leave sitting out and will they travel well? Or…will they just melt and be a mess? They sound so wonderful!!!

Hi there Kathy…they should be okay provided you’re not living in a country where it’s summer right now!

1. Laura

Oh dear-freaking-god this sounds dangerous. Danger, danger. I do have a party coming up and I think everyone’s been pretty good this year, so they may deserve something like this. One question: when I use pre-made coconut butter, how much should I use? And also can I soften it somehow in the microwave or on the stove to mix in the flavorings or would it be safer to just manhandle it with a spoon and my giant girly muscles?

Thanks!

Hi Laura! A lot depends on how much filling you want to put in (thin or thick) but I usually set aside somewhere between 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup for 6 cups. I forgot to clarify that so thanks for asking.

I would heat a pot of water on the stove and put the glass bottle in to soften it or use a double boiler :)

2. Maryanne

Love this recipe. Am curious to know what brand of chocolate you use! Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to try this — I LOVE Peppermint!

In very small amounts, like 1-2 drops diluted in a large quantity of other food, most people don’t report having any issues.

3. Joy

Steph – Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. They do sound dangerously wonderful! Will make them for Christmas give-aways for family and friends. Thanks again and hope you have a wonderful holiday!
    Joy in Florida, USA

Hi Lindsay…I usually blend it all then add melted coconut oil in small amounts to adjust the texture.

Hi Chloe…it depends what your goals are. Some people don’t eat ANY sugar. Some, like me, do if it’s a once in a while treat.

4. Berendina

I have a small group of friends ,all converted to using coconut oil, all losing weight ,the healthy way .and this is their “reward” for all their efforts .
    Thank you very much and I wish you a happy ,healthy Christmas . Berendina

5. Lauren

Hoping a reader may have an idea for an outside that is NOT chocolate. My daughter loves mint but absolutely dislikes chocolate. (That apple is very far from this tree!)

1. Feather

Roll the coconut butter in shredded coconut or chopped nuts?

Steph, thanks, I’ll try these. They should help me kick the bounty’s from my cheat list (all that cocos and chocolate sounds paleo enough, but it’s still way too much sugar and other stuff)

6. Shannon

Hi… maybe it’s just my computer, but I can’t get the print button for this recipe to work. Every time I try to click it, a big PIN IT for Pinterest is there instead. If it DOES open up (I clicked on the PDF end of the button), it opens up a blank page in my Internet Explorer. Is it just me?

Hi Shannon…we can’t get the Pin It button to stop hovering…I know it’s annoying :/ If you click the left end of the PDF button it’ll open. I just tested it in Safari and it worked okay. If you have any pop up blocker software that could be the issue. Thanks!

7. Larry

Hi – I’m new to all this. I do cook, but have some questions after trying to make these.

First – when I tried to melt the chocolate in the micro, I jumped right from not all melted, so something resembling cake. Micro too strong? I switched it to a double boiler, added a tiny bit of coconut milk to smooth it back out.

Second – the coco-butter… I put the flakes in the food proc, with the coconut oil, vanilla, and salt, and blended… and blended… and blended. It just looked like ground up coconut bits, in the picture it looks rather creamy. I tried another tbs of coconut oil, then another, and another. It got closer to creamy, but still rather “gritty”. Any thoughts? I am using a large Cuisinart maybe 1.5 cups of coconut didn’t fill the bowl enough? Am I right tho, the mixture should turn to something like peanut butter?

thanks, Larry

Hi Larry…yes! Chocolate is pretty temperamental so you probably heated it a bit too much.

Some food processors (especially if the blade is a bit dull) will give a coarser result.

1. Larry

But the coconut should have been more like peanut butter and less like very course sand?

After thinking about it a bit, I’m leaning more towards the processor bowl was too big for the amount of flakes, or maybe the flakes were too old and dried out. Its an 11-cup bowl, the flakes did cover the blade but not by much. How big is the one you use?

8. Cindy

Oh No…Paleo fail for me today. Try as I might I could not get the coconut/salt/vanilla/coconut oil mixture to resemble anything close to “creamy’! Finally tossed the whole thing and snacked on some kale chips hot from the over. I’m using a brand new Ninja blender. Any suggestions? It seemed to me that the unsweetened shredded coconut I was using was very dry. Perhaps, a different brand of coconut?

Sometimes they vary and can be very dry which can definitely have an effect. I have tried with a regular blender and it just wasn’t fast enough like a food pro or a high-speed blender.

2. jamie

I’m also using a Ninja and it just isn’t getting creamy. I’m a bit disappointed. Is store-bought coconut supposed to get creamy eventually? I’ll eat them and love them, but probably won’t take them to my family get-together because I’m guessing no one will like anything labeled “coconut”. I’ve always been able to puree anything in this Ninja. I’ll add a bit more coconut oil (going on half a cup already) and try some more. Still a good recipe!

Store bought coconut butter will be creamier because it’s processed with extremely powerful blades. Sadly, I don’t think the Ninja is able to pulverize it quite enough.

Hi Heather, I’m here in the UK temporarily and we used Green & Blacks (no soy lecithin). I’ve heard there are varieties at home in the states that are soy-free though it depends. Another option might be making chocolate with cocoa (or cacao) and coconut oil if you are really trying to avoid all additives.

9. Bobbi

I had the coconut butter all put together with the vanilla extract and peppermint essential oil, then I read the side of the essential oil (Mountain Rose Herbs peppermint essential oil) and it said ‘not for internal use’ it kind of freaked me out, so I threw it all away. :(

One or two drops are fine. I’m not a doctor, but I know lots of folks who use it in this application, including me.

2. Joy

I used Pure Peppermint Extract instead of the oil and they tasted great. Unfortunately I gained 1.25 pounds yesterday tasting, sampling the filling and chocolate mixture and eating one of the final product. They’re great but beware they aren’t dietary! Thanks for the interesting recipe Steph!

Oh noooo! Not a diet food whatsoever. I only make them once a year for that reason. Hope everything is back to normal now!

1. Joy

Hi Steph… I got right back on track and lost over 1.5 pounds in the last 2 days so no worries! I’m new on this journey so am still learning what works for me. Loved the recipe but I’m a sugar addict and they were a trigger for me. I dreamt about them all last night! How pathetic! Thanks very much for the great recipe. I’m giving them away for Christmas so I won’t eat anymore! Happy holidays!!!
          Joy

Ahhhhh…I can definitely see how they could be. One of my favorite things to do with coconut butter is to put it on apple slices :)

Hi Staci! Thanks for stopping by to let me know. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. You’re very welcome!

10. Ruth

So I am guessing these are not Whole 30 compliant right? And I had cacao nibs in my hand the other day…wondered if they could be used in Whole 30, or in this recipe. I’m guessing they might be bitter. I am trying to figure out how to transition from Whole 30 to paleo, while having and occasional treat, or at least a piece of dark chocolate without going off the deep end. Any advise?

These are not Whole30 compliant. I find a square or two of really good quality dark chocolate is enough to satisfy whatever it is I’m looking for.

In my experience, saving those times for special treats or treats that are really worth it makes the most sense. A bag of M&Ms = not special.

11. Steven

What brand of chocolate would you recommend? and why if you don’t mind? Do you ever make your own chocolate? Thanks!

I either go for Green & Blacks or Theo dark chocolate because they are 1) relatively easy to find and 2) contain no soy or dairy. I’ve not made my own chocolate.