Dark chocolate mint coconut butter cups are so tempting that I only make them once a year at the holidays as sweet little homemade gifts for family & friends. They’re pretty easy to make and you can put together a large batch relatively quickly. Trust me, they’re always a huge hit!
Not a fan of mint? You can leave out the peppermint extract and just use vanilla extract. They’re still good, but if you’re a fan of peppermint patties, you should give it a try. You can also buy pre-made coconut butter if you’re short on time.
Ingredients for the Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (reserve 1-2 Tablespoons on the side as garnish)
- 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 drops of peppermint extract, or more depending on your taste
- 12 ounces (350 grams) high quality dark chocolate
Directions for the Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups
- In a food processor or high speed blender, combine the coconut, vanilla and sea salt.
- Allow to process for several minutes (as much as 8 to 10 min in a food pro) – scraping down the sides of the bowl a couple times – until the coconut starts to become smooth. You may need to add melted coconut oil (1+ Tablespoon) to adjust the texture and make it stickier. Note: If you want truly smooth coconut butter, you’ll have to use a high powered blender such as Vitamix or Blendtec. A food processor will almost always result in a slightly grainy texture. Your other option is to buy coconut butter (manna) from the store.
- Optional: Add the peppermint extract (or 1 drop of peppermint essential oil) and combine well.
- Remove to a separate container. You may have extra coconut butter left over. Trust me, you’ll find some way to eat it…it’s really good.
- Break chocolate into chunks and put in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high, stirring frequently, until melted. The time completely depends on how dark the chocolate is, percent-wise and how powerful your microwave is. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. You could also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate on the stovetop (my preferred method).
Assembling the Dark Chocolate Mint Coconut Butter Cups
- Cupcake wrappers (large or small, your choice)
- Mint coconut butter filling from above
- Place a spoonful of melted chocolate into the wrapper, smoothing it out with the back of the spoon to create sides and a bottom. Refrigerate until hardened.
- Then, scoop a small amount of the filling into the cup and flatten until it covers the bottom. Hint: one batch of the coconut butter filling should make ~6 large cups or 10-12 small ones.
- Place another spoonful of melted chocolate on top and smooth out. Refrigerate to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator for best results. May also be kept frozen!
Change It Up
- Use pre-made coconut butter.
- Experiment with different toppings like extra shredded coconut or sea salt.