Paleo Zucchini Fritters

Paleo Zucchini Fritters - The Paleo Athlete | stupideasypaleo.com

These Paleo Zucchini Fritters are one of my most favorite veggie side dishes I’ve cooked up lately. The recipe’s one I adapted from Smitten Kitchen, a really cool—though not necessarily Paleo_blog. If you have a food processor with a shredding blade, this recipe becomes even faster to make but have no fear: I broke out my trusty box grater to do the job, and it worked like a charm.

I’m extra excited about these Paleo Zucchini Fritters because it’s one of the brand new recipes in my new ebook, The Paleo Athlete!

Ingredients for Paleo Zucchini Fritters:

Directions for Paleo Zucchini Fritters:

1. Shred the zucchini using a box grater or a food processor fitted with a shredding blade. Put the shredded zucchini in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and toss well. Walk away for 10 minutes.Paleo Zucchini Fritters - The Paleo Athlete | stupideasypaleo.com
  2. Now it’s time to squeeze all the moisture out of the zucchini (nobody likes soggy fritters). Note: if you’re really salt sensitive, you may want to rinse the zucchini with water, then squeeze it out. Scoop up a generous handful of the zucchini and squeeze the living daylights out of them into a sink or bowl. You want them dry. Place in a different bowl.Paleo Zucchini Fritters - The Paleo Athlete | stupideasypaleo.com
  3. Add the coconut flour, egg and pepper. Stir to combine.
  4. Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Melt a large spoonful of ghee or coconut oil in the pan. Pack a 1/4 cup measuring cup with the zucchini mixture, pressing it down inside the cup. Turn the cup out onto the pan and flatten the zucchini until you get a patty. You can also use a disher or just eyeball it. I fit about 4 – 5 in a large skillet at one time.
  5. Cook each side for 3 – 5 minutes or until nicely browned. Repeat until you‘ve used up all the zucchini mixture. Be sure to add more ghee or coconut oil to the pan each time you start a new batch.
  6. Cool on a cooling rack so they don’t get soggy.

Paleo Zucchini Fritters - The Paleo Athlete | stupideasypaleo.com

Change it Up:

• Add garlic powder or onion powder to the mix.
  • Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives or parsley.
  • Serve with a homemade dipping sauce like Lemony Chive Paleo Mayo.

Have you ever made zucchini fritters? What’d you think?

Paleo Zucchini Fritters - The Paleo Athlete | stupideasypaleo.com

I want the free preview of The Paleo Athlete eBook!

Your info will never, ever be shared with a 3rd party.

124 thoughts on “Paleo Zucchini Fritters

1. Jan Stanko D

Can’t wait to try this, I’ve been experimenting with all kinds of ‘fritters’ lately! If you’re a no-egger, shred a couple of green plantains and mix in-they’re sticky enough to help hold the fritter together from start to finish! Thanks!!!!

1. Mary Thompson

Delicious!!! I used cheesecloth like another poster recommended and it helped wring the moisture out. I should have doubled the recipe though. So good everyone wanted more! Great way to get your veggies!!!! By the way, mine stayed together just fine! Thank you!

2. Lauren

Jan- the plantain idea is awesome. Thanks for sharing that. What other recipes would that work for?Do you have any other egg free ideas?

1. bnich

can substitute 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal + 2-3 tablespoon water for a Vegan “egg”. Let sit for about 10 minutes before adding to the mix, to let the flaxseeds swell up…

2. Julia

I love zucchini fritters,, last time i made them i added a bit of fresh caught wild salmon my friend ‘fished and shared’ with me. It made for a great fritter!

3. Kiama Lee

I read The Smitten Kitchen, too! I read her post on the zucchini fritters and though, “oh those sound yummy! I should make them!” ~~ and now, here you are with a paleo friendly version. Definitely need to get moving and make them!

4. meg

i have made zucchini fritters before, but not yours! so i will have to change that ;)

also so excited for the ebook next month :D i think about it every day :D

5. Adrian

We made these last night and they were waaaaay too salty. I couldn’t eat them :( Should it be one teaspoon of salt instead of one tablespoon?

1. Adrian

I’m not salt sensitive at all. I actually checked the original recipe you adapted from Smitten Kitchen and it called for one teaspoon of salt, not one tablespoon. You might want to edit your recipe.

Check it out…already did, but I tried it with one teaspoon, and it was far underseasoned to my tastebuds. I added the option to rinse it.

Also please note that her recipe calls for 2 zucchini…mine uses 5. If you’re following her recipe, that would mean at least doubling the amount of salt to 2 teaspoons. Thanks!

6. Susan

Made them..way to salty and they wouldn’t stay together….I. Mixed the coconut flour and egg first before putting in the zucchini bowl…was that the problem?

7. Josh

Awesome sounding recipe, unfortunately mine completely fell apart in the skillet. I’m thinking maybe I didn’t dry the zucchini out enough? Or maybe I need more egg/flour. Will definitely try again.

I’ve not tried to freeze them, mainly because freezing tends to make zucchini mushy. My gut feeling is that these wouldn’t do well frozen.

8. Jaime

These were seriously amazing. I used cheesecloth to squeeze the water out. Squeeze and squeeze and squeeze, and when you think you’re done, squeeze some more. :-D I added some cumin, and next time I’m going to try some lemon zest. So delish!!

Hi Joe…since almond flour is nowhere near as absorbent, you’ll likely need to use more though I’m not sure exactly how much…possibly 3-4 times as much.

9. kori

How many fritters does this recipe make? Do you serve these along side something else or just on their own? They look delish!

10. Doerte

I love to makes these, but i´m not sure whether baking soda is allowed during Whole30.
    Is “cream of tartar” the better choice?
    Many thanks for your help, Doerte

You could but remember that almond flour isn’t as absorbent so you may have to double or triple the amount of flour. I’m not 100% sure they’d stick together.

11. Helen

Have really loved every one of your recipes that I’ve tried so far (and that’s quite a few) but this one just didn’t do it for me. Made half batch. 2 of the 4 fritters fell apart, and found them too salty and the cayenne to be way too much. Everyone to their own taste, I guess…
    But as I said, every other one of your recipes I’ve tried totally rock

12. Corey

I made these tonight. I added chopped green onions and some garlic powder and they are great. I had a little bit of a hard time getting them to hold together even though I dried by zucchini by pressing it between paper towels. Any tips would be great, thanks!

13. alessandro

really lovely! I have never made anything like that before and Im really glad I tried these!…will absolutely be making these again :)

the only thing I would say would be that personally I will use half the amount of pepper stated in the recipe, but that is entirely a personal choice, another great recipe 10/10

14. Rene

I made these this afternoon as part of a late lunch for me and snack for my husband. We both liked them a lot. Best eaten hot. I would serve these to company and make it the one dish I cook while they are here.

15. Rene

I squeezed my zucchini in batches in a linen dish towel and wrung the batches out over the sink. I found my hands were not effective enough and then had to be dried between each batch. I thought the dish towel was easier. I also pressed the mixture into a 1/4 cup and then plopped the mixture into the pan. I let them cook for a minute before flattening a little with the spatula. Great recipe!! I will add the extras in next time.

16. Dawn

This is a family favorite recipe with bacon & eggs. I usually do carrots and zucchini and will occasionally use almond flour-depends what I have on hand. Thank you for this recipe.

17. paulette

Love these! I made them this morning and added some chopped red & green peppers, and onion to the recipe. Great when pairing with scrambled eggs. I’ll definitely be making these again!

I can’t think of how they’d hold together. You might have to try something like arrowroot or tapioca flour. Both are starches, not nuts.

2. Bets

You can find several different recipes for Zucchini fritters (sometimes called courgette – and they use regular all purpose flour or self-rising. Which is why I kept searching & found these that do not use reg. flour.

18. Debra

I’ve made these a couple of times, since hubby found the recipe about two weeks ago. First time followed the directions almost exactly. Due to being on AIP, I couldn’t do the cayenne, so I added 1 Tbs. dried dill instead. I really liked the combo. I also had trouble with them falling apart, even though hubbs was the one to squeeze out the water, and squeeze it out he did. LOL

Second time making these, I replaced the egg with a plantain. I’ll need to either add another plantain next time or use the towel squeeze method mentioned by another commenter, since I still had issues with them wanting to come apart. I simply use a fork to push the edges back together, and am careful on the flip. They are very delicate, but tasty! This time , the addition of the plantain immediately reminded me of crab cakes, having the same consistency, in addition to the dill tricking my taste buds into tasting crab. I have every intention of adding crab at some point to see how that turns out.

This is a great recipe to play with. Those are the best recipes, in my opinion. Thank you for sharing.

19. Brian

Do you have a nutritional break down, or at least a rough yield so I can calculate that myself?

I love zucchini, and they look delicious, but I don’t want to make a batch in only to find out that the macros are wrong for me.

Hi Brian,

I don’t. Can you not input the raw ingredients and come out with something ballpark? It’s mostly zucchini.

1. Brian

I can figure everything out for the batch (347 kcal, 49g carbs, 11g fat, 22g protein, 21g fiber without the coconut oil), but I don’t see a yield (roughly how many fritters it makes) or the volume of the raw batch so math can happen :)

I honestly can’t remember how many it made…5 or 6. Couldn’t you just divide the total by how many you decided to make?

1. Brian

I’ve had low-carb/paleo recipes knock me out of ketosis a few times, so I’ve learned to check the macro’s before I actually make a recipe.

At six per recipe, it’s 58 kcal with 4g net carbs, 2g fat, and 4g protein (without taking the coconut oil into account(. Very respectable, and the once fried, the oil absorption will raise the fat content, so that’s good. If I replace the coconut flour with flaxseed meal (0g net carbs), it’ll be 3g net carbs, and I can probably squeeze one into a meal. Yay, zucchini!

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this!

2. Bee

Brian, thank for taking the time to figure that out

I’m attempting a keto diet too and as a newbie, it’s been a rough go. I’m doing it to heal some health issues. May I ask what macronutrient percentages u follow? Also, I know this is off topic, but can u post a sample of your daily diet (bf, lunch, dinner, snacks)? It’s always helpful to see real world examples. Thanks so much

3. Brian

Bee,

I run 5/25/70% for my macros (usually around 23g carbs), and used the menu plans here http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/keto-menu-plans for my real-world examples when starting out (actually, I just followed them, replacing and supplementing as needed).

She has weekly meal plans based on a ~1,600kcal daily diet (with shopping lists and recipes!), and that’s what we used in the beginning. My wife and I both enjoyed the meals, and it makes it super-easy to plan what you’re going to eat for the entire day (which is the hardest part about a ketogenic diet – there are carbs lurking everywhere!). It’s also easy to adjust her plans based upon your individual needs and tastes.

Watch the recipes posted on Pinterest, though. Not all low-carb and Paleo recipes are Keto, as I found out. If they don’t have the macronutrients listed, plug everything into MyFitnessPal *before* you start cooking :)

4. Brian

1600 is fine for my wife, but I eat considerably more – mostly larger servings, but sometimes supplementing with things like zucchini fritters :)

5. Bee

Thanks Brian. Ugh, all the keto sites I’ve seen focus on dairy, cheese, avocado, etc… Those I cant have due to allergies. :(

20. Stephanie

These were Amazing! Loved them and will def. be doing them many times in the future! I’ve been taking pics of my food and sharing on a couple of different groups I’m in. Some weight loss oriented and some just food sharing. This is the recipe, out of quite a few different photos of great looking food, that people in all of the groups keeps commenting on and asking about. So happy to have found it and can’t wait to try some of your others. :D

21. Amber

I was nervous to try these because of some of the negative reviews but WOW, these are AMAZING!! I am SO glad I went ahead and tried them! Seriously, delish. I could have eaten all 7 by myself. :)

I thought I’d share what worked for me. First off, the coconut flour was perfect! Great texture. It just works with the zucchini so well. On the salt, I think those using table salt might be the ones having issues. Sea salt, especially the pink kind, is not as strong. 2 tsp was perfect and I am sensitive to salt.

Because some said their fritters fell apart, I squeezed the living day lights out of my zucchini. When I wanted to be done, I squeezed some more. When I finally couldn’t get more than a few drops at a time when I squeezed the nut bag strainer, I called it good. And it was good!

I added 1 tsp garlic powder and I omitted the pepper because I’m just not into pepper. I made the sauce to go with. Delish.

My fritters didn’t fall apart until I cut them with a fork. Yum! These are definitely going into the regular rotation!

Thank you for the recipe!!!

22. Bonnie

I just tried it. It was so easy to make and absolutely delicious! I finished it off with a tiny bit of shredded carrot on the top and added a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt in the middle for dipping. I don’t only eat paleo but I am trying to incorporate it more into my daily meals. Thanks for sharing!

23. Beth

Love these! I like to use LOTS of different veggies – squash, chopped spinach, finely grated carrots, cabbage, potato, pretty much anything I have on hand…yum!

24. Cris

Made these tonight and they were a HUGE hit with 10 year old. Didn’t tell him they’re zucchini though, just shredded up veggies. He didn’t even dip them in ranch!

I used rice flour instead of coconut – didn’t have any – and for half a recipe used about a 1/3 cup. Also used the entire egg. Tossed in garlic powder, onion powder, cracked black pepper, cayenne and a pinch of salt. Mixed it till it stuck together really well (after reading the other comments about falling apart) and no trouble. The dish towel trick works great too, btw, and a nice little bicep workout to boot!

I LOVE it when the kiddos love the recipes! That puts a big smile on my face, Cris! Thanks so much :)

25. Chef Portia

These are delish! I added onion powder to the mixture and it was scrumptious.
    Next time I’ll experiment with a sweet version, adding cinnamon and topping with maple syrup.

I’m intrigued for sure! I know zucchini can be used for sweet applications like muffins and breads…I’m going to try it out. Thanks!

26. Bake Up, Little Suzy

I can’t tell you how much I wanted to like these! I adore zucchini, and I wanted something new to try for breakfast. It looks like I’m in the minority, but I found these nearly inedible. I think the issue was the coconut flour–it made the texture grainy and the flavor off-putting. Would a different flour improve the texture/flavor?

Back to the drawing board!

If you’re not a fan of coconut, yes, you will taste some. If you find another method that you think works better, feel free to return and share with us! Other flours you can try might be: arrowroot / tapioca, almond or other nut flours, potato starch, etc. These are all gluten-free options. As for regular flour, I’m not sure since I don’t use it in my cooking.

I try to make recipes that appeal to a wide variety of tastes, but everyone is different!

1. Bake Up, Little Suzy

Actually, I love coconut, but in this application I didn’t like it at all. I’ll experiment with other flours and report back. Everything else about the recipe is perfect — I am determined to make it work for me and my texture issues! :)

27. Tanya

I LOVE these! My 2 kids have not liked zucchini at all! I just finished making these and they were so excited to try them! They thought they were delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe! Mine came out perfect!

28. Melissa

This was my first visit to your site. These were good but WAY too much pepper. I only used 1/4 teaspoon and it’s STILL all I taste. I had no issues w the salt. But did you really mean an entire teaspoon of black pepper?

1. Candace Ricciardi

Hi Melissa, I am sorry it’s a tad too much pepper for you. Everyone’s tastes are different so if you’re not big on pepper; you can always adjust the amount. :)

29. Meredith

I wonder if you put them in the fridge for a little while after you put them together would help them stay together when you cooked them.

30. Aimee & Clint

This looks awesome! We have people doing one of our programs at the moment, a 30 day mind and body reboot done online, and this recipe is totally perfect so we’ve shared the link with the participants!

You can use a box grater to shred the zucchini by hand. Takes longer but it’s just as effective :)

31. Therese

These are phenomenal! My kids were fighting over them! I added some fresh chives to the mix. And made your lemony chive sauce with Greek yogurt instead of paleo mayo. Excellent, this is on our keeper list! Thank you.

32. Amb

I couldn’t wait to make these! I read The Smitten Kitchen post also. Based on it and some of the above comments I reduced the salt to 1.5 tsp. I totally could’ve done the 2 tsp. I had to add salt after they were cooked. I took the advice of Smitten Kitchen and used my cast iron skillet. Genius! I kept adding coconut oil so they have a ‘fried’ quality to them. I will say, though, to all of you who get so excited they can’t stand it (like me)…DO NOT MESS WITH THEM! Put them in the skillet and leave them alone until you think they are burned before flipping. Once I did that they were amazing! Oh also, I didn’t get all the moisture out, apparently, because they tended to fall apart. I added 2 T more coconut flour. It helped. But basically, make sure you get as much moisture out of the zucchini as possible. I also added a shallot and a couple garlic cloves. YUM-O! These made a great vessel for an eggs Benedict style breakfast. They will stay in my recipe repertoire for sure!!

33. Bobbi Jo

I just made these with 1c of almond flour and a flax egg. (I have banana and egg allergies and I don’t care for coconut.) Eating paleo is sometimes hard but with my allergies really hard. These are delicious!!!

34. Furry

Hi, I’m going to try this recipe today, I’m going to juice the courgette first and just use the pulp. 2 meals for the price of one lol.

35. Cindy

looks so so good! i am about to make this and wanted to know how long will it keep in the fridge and/or freezer? thanks

1. Candace Ricciardi

Hi Cindy, if you freeze these between parchment paper or paper towels in air tight container then you can store them for a few weeks in the freezer. In the fridge probably about a week. :)

36. Paula Raulinaitis

I LOVE these fritters. I have made other recipes with almond flour and they just did not come out. THESE are a staple in my home, especially this time of year when I have TONS of zucchini from my organic garden. I typically add some chopped chives to the mixture too, but I love the idea of the lemony chive aioli….I’ll be truing that next. I sometimes splurge with a dollop some grass-fed sour cream and chipotle hot sauce, but the lemony chive mayo/aioli sounds like a great Peleo option.

37. Carmela

Yuck!!! Not good!! The coconut flour did not cook and tasted pasty! I tried frying them in a skillet AND baking them. A waste of ingredients, for sure! Sorry!

Some people really don’t like the taste and texture of coconut flour. It’s not like white flour and so doesn’t “cook off” and still retains its original flavor. I can’t suggest an exact substitute because I haven’t tested it yet, but arrowroot / tapioca starch might work. I’ve made these at least half a dozen times and never had them come out pasty so I have no clue what happened.

I’m not sure if you realize but there’s an actual human—me, Steph—who reads and responds to these comments. An actual human who took the time to develop, make, test, photograph, and write up these recipes…for free. I can understand if you’re disappointed, but your comment came across as quite harsh.

Respectfully,

Steph

38. aneta

These were great! my 7 year old son who runs when he sees zuchini ate 2 of these. I just started the paleo diet and this was so far the best recipe . I did use 2 eggs and they came out wonderful. Than you!!!

39. Marty

Made these tonight for the first time. Used brown rice flour and otherwise followed the recipe. Stuck together just fine. They were a BIG hit and even my non-veggie-loving son liked them and said he would have them again. Definitely going into our rotation.

That’s so great to hear, Marty! Any time the non-veggie lovers are converted, that’s a huge plus!

40. Kim J

Thanks for sharing the recipe! The first batch (only did 3 fritters to test it at first) of mine sort of fell apart (not sure if it’s because of the high altitude of Denver) but I added one more egg and they came out looking just like your picture! And I actually ended up putting a little more salt in mine too which definitely shows we are all human with different taste buds after reading your other comments! lol Thanks again!

Hi Kim…you really have to get as much moisture out as possible, but I’m glad the second egg did the trick :)

41. Haley Brown

Hi, Steph! I’m looking to add variety into my breakfast rotation and would love to prepare these the night before. Are they OK to be refrigerated and reheated the next day? Thank you! :-)

Best,