Slow-Cooker Chocolate Chicken Mole is the perfect blend of two worlds: simple cooking and huge flavor! When my friend Arsy Vartanian, author of the brand new book The Paleo Foodie Cookbook, asked me to share one of her recipes with you, I jumped at the chance. I know you all love chicken recipes, and slow cooker food definitely fits my criteria of stupid-easy. While it may seem like there are a lot of ingredients, they’re integral in creating a savory, complex mole sauce with a richness and depth of flavor.
If you love the sound of this recipe, go check out Arsy’s cookbook. She’s also got two awesome bonuses for you: We are giving away a copy of her book (sorry, contest is now closed) and you can get a free copy of her ebook, The Paleo Dinner Party, if you pre-order (details also at the bottom).
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chocolate Chicken Mole
- 2 pounds (900 grams) chicken pieces (breasts and legs work well), bone in, skins removed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons (30 grams) ghee
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 6–7 whole tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 5 dried New Mexico chili peppers, rehydrated and chopped
- ¼ cup (60 grams) almond butter
- 2-1/2 ounces (70 grams) dark chocolate (70% or above)
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon guajillo chili powder
- Avocado, cilantro and jalapeño, all chopped (garnish)
- Generously salt and pepper the chicken.
- Place a pan over medium heat and add ghee. Once the ghee has warmed, add the chicken and brown on all sides. This may need to be done in batches. Move chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add onion to the same pan and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Transfer onion and garlic to slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, chili peppers, almond butter, dark chocolate, salt and spices (cumin, cinnamon, chili powder) to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken is tender and pulls apart easily. If you are home when making the dish, lift the lid once and give it a stir to make sure all the ingredients are well combined. Remove chicken bones. Top mole with avocado, cilantro and jalapeño and serve!
To enter for a chance to win a FREE copy of The Paleo Foodie Cookbook:
The winner is… lynn.s****@e*******l.com. Thank you to all who entered!
Use the Rafflecopter widget below to complete your entry! (This is how the winner will be drawn, so don’t skip this step!)
The contest ends March 23, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. PST, and the winner will be announced here on the blog by March 25, 2014. Be sure to check back to see if you won!
The winner will be emailed and will have 48 hours to confirm back with his or her full name, address, and phone number to claim the prize. Open to US residents only.
If you'd like to share my recipes or photos on your blog, you must get express written permission first. Please use the contact form to send me a message before using any of my content on your blog / website! Failure to do so is a copyright violation.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Stupid Easy Paleo, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.