August is Hatch chile month, so what better way to celebrate this seasonal and flavorful pepper than make Green Chile Chicken in the slow cooker? It’s the ultimate in hands-off cooking and will save you from turning on the oven in the last dog days of summer!
If you’ve never heard of a Hatch chile, it’s a variety of long, green chile that comes from the valley around Hatch, New Mexico. They’ve got a delicious flavor and come in a range of heat values, so you can find one to suit your palate. If they’re not in season—typically August to September— you may be able to order from an online retailer or find canned, chopped green chiles in the market.
This recipe makes a large batch of Green Chile Chicken, perfect for your big weekly cook-up day, and it freezes well once cooked. I used chicken thighs because they’re more tender in the slow cooker and result in meat that shreds beautifully and falls apart.
Don’t worry about not adding any liquid to the slow cooker: the vegetables you include will yield their own moisture. If you prefer a bit more broth in your final dish, you may want to add up to 1/2 cup chicken broth. I found it wasn’t necessary.
What to serve this with? Green Chile Chicken goes really well piled on top of Savory Cauliflower Rice (Performance Paleo Cookbook p 174), spooned over Hasselback Sweet Potatoes, or tucked into my Simple Paleo Tortillas. Or, try mixing it into a frittata or using it as the base for egg muffins.
For another recipe using Hatch chiles, check to my Pork Chile Verde!
- 2-1/2 to 3 lb (1134 to 1361 grams) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 to 4 tomatillos, husked and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ lb (227 g) Hatch chiles, diced*
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- Fresh lime wedges and chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Lay the chicken thighs into the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with the cumin, salt, coriander and black pepper. Toss the chicken to coat with the seasonings.
- Add the tomatillos, onion, green chiles and garlic.
- Cover the slow cooker and set on low for 5 hours.
- When the time is up, remove the lid and shred the thigh meat with two forks.
**This dish freezes well.
For more details about using a slow cooker instead of a Dutch oven, click here.
Do you think you’ll try this recipe? Comment below!
Pin this Green Chile Chicken Recipe for later!