What resulted was nothing short of the tastiest thing I’d put in my mouth in a long while.
I used mini muffin tins but you could use regular tins and end up with something bigger than bite-sized. These little morsels were the perfect size for finger food and would be fun party eats. You can make as few or as many as you’d like…it’s really up to you. Depending upon the bacon you use – how thick it’s cut, how wide the pieces are, etc – you may have to adjust your layering technique or the cooking time. Bottom line…have fun with it!
Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 30 min Makes: 4 pieces
- 4 pieces of good-quality bacon
- Coconut oil
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup chopped lettuce of your choice
- Chipotle mayo for topping
- *You will need 2 mini muffin tins for this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Grease the bottom of one muffin tin and the inside of the cups of the other with a thin layer of coconut oil. Start with one muffin tin upside down.
- Cut each strip of bacon in half (again, it depends on the size of the bacon…remember that it’ll shrink when cooked so some overhang is okay). On one of the inverted cups, cross the bacon pieces, one on top of the other. Repeat until you’ve used up all the bacon. See the gallery for a photo.
- Now place the other muffin tin on top of the bacon and press down firmly. I weighted mine down with a cast iron skillet.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Carefully remove the top muffin tin and bake for 5 more minutes or until the bacon cups are as crisp as you like them.
- Let cool and then fill each one with tomato and lettuce and a drizzle of chipotle mayo!