This Cabbage with Apple & Onion side dish is perfect for whipping together on a busy night, and it easily doubles to feed a larger crowd.
This one comes together in less than 10 minutes and is a good way to use up cabbage that’s sort of wilted or apples that have gotten a bit soft. It was the perfect accompaniment to some delicious pan-fried pork chops.
Cabbage with Apple & Onion isn’t a new recipe—it’s been here on the blog for two years—but it’s one that I’ve recently updated with brand-new, much more appetizing photography. We eat with our eyes first, right?
If you’re interested, here’s my free series on food photography tips: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. (Also, check out this ebook where I learned a lot of great food photo stuff!)
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
- ½ small cabbage, sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp caraway seeds, optional
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the ghee.
- Add the onion and apple, cooking and stirring until the onions are translucent and the apple softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook about 3 minutes more.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and cook for another few minutes until the vinegar has reduced a bit and everything is cooked through.
- Season with caraway seeds, salt and pepper to taste.
Pin this for later!