Do you remember the sound of the ice cream truck cruising around the neighborhood in summer when you were a kid? If you were like me, you conveniently didn’t hear your mom call for dinner, but you could hear that magical music from a mile away. Growing up, my siblings and I loved “rocket pops” – I looked it up and they’re officially called “Red, White and Blue Turbo Rockets” – a patriotic combination sugar and artificial food coloring in red (cherry), white (lemon) and blue (blue raspberry).
While these Paleo versions have a bit of sweetness from the fruit and coconut water, they’re nothing like the sugar on a stick popsicles sold in stores. I added fruit to each layer and kicked up the flavors with citrus zest. You’ve got raspberry lime (red), coconut white peach (white) and lemon blueberry (blue). Perfect for a hot summer day! Don’t like raspberries? Use strawberries or cherries instead. You can also puree the fruit instead of slicing it.
Be creative and use your own fruit combinations or flavors. Let me know in the comments below what you tried!
[Note: I don't consider these a Paleo-ified dessert because it's essentially fruit and coconut water with no extra added sugar, but if you think you'd crack out on them, take that into consideration.]
Prep time: 15-20 min Freeze time: 2-3 hours Makes: 12 pops
Red layer…raspberry lime
- 2 cups coconut water*
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon lime zest
- 1 cup raspberries (about 6 oz), quartered
White layer…coconut white peach
- 1 white peach, peeled and chopped [hint: squeeze lemon juice on them to prevent browning]
- 1.5 cups full-fat coconut milk
Blue layer…lemon blueberry
- 2 cups coconut water*
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries, halved
- 12 dixie cups (3 oz. size)
- 24 plastic straws or 24 popsicle sticks
- Place 12 dixie cups on a sheet tray or in a muffin tin (I used a mini muffin tray). Clear a space in the freezer that the tray will fit in.
- Mix the different coconut waters (coconut water + lime juice + lime zest and coconut water + lemon juice + lemon zest) in separate containers.
- Build your red layer first. Equally divide the quartered berries into the cups (about 2 raspberries per cup). Add about 2 Tablespoons of the lime coconut water to each cup. Freeze until solid.
- Build the white layer next. Equally divide the chopped white peach into the cups. Add about 2 Tablespoons of coconut milk to each cup. *IMPORTANT: Only partially freeze this layer then stick the straws or popsicle sticks in! Return to the freezer until solid.
- Build the blue layer last. Equally divide the halved blueberries into the cups. Add about 2 Tablespoons of lemon coconut water to each cup. Freeze until solid.
- Peel the paper cups away and trim the straws down to size. I like the double straw or double stick method because it makes them easier to hold.
- Try to eat it before it melts!
*You’ll have a bit of extra coconut water left over…drink up and enjoy.