Kohlrabi is definitely not a vegetable I’d ever had gumption to try. Its funky, globular shape and oddly placed leaves always looked so strange to me. Let’s just say, kohlrabi was never on the menu…until now. I picked up a bunch at the store a few days ago and decided it was high time I give kohlrabi a try.
Interestingly, the word kohlrabi is a mashup of German phraseology that translates roughly into “cabbage turnip.” The flavor tastes of mild cabbage or something like broccoli stem but without the sulfurous undertones. In terms of nutrition, it’s rich in Vitamin C and the healthy phytochemicals that other members of the Brassica family are renowned for.
I prepared this kohlrabi like a salad, but if you’ve got more time, you could certainly slice it thinner / smaller like a slaw. The simple apple ginger vinaigrette is a great complement to the kohlrabi’s crunch.
Ingredients for the Kohlrabi Salad with Apple Ginger Vinaigrette
For the Salad
- 1 lb (454 g) kohlrabi, tops removed, halved and sliced
- 1/4 lb (113 g) carrots, halved and sliced
- 1/4 lb (113 g) red apple (I like Pink Lady, about half an apple), sliced
- 1/4 cup packed (3 oz / 85 g) fresh parsley
- 2 large (1 oz / 28 g) green onions, white and light green parts, sliced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Dressing
- 1/4 lb (113 g) red apple (I like Pink Lady, about half an apple), chopped
- 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons (45 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (2 g) sea salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 g) black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) light-tasting olive oil or avocado oil
Directions for the Kohlrabi Salad with Apple Ginger Vinaigrette
- Prepare the salad by mixing the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining the apple, ginger, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper in a high-powered blender or food processor. Run the blender until the mixture is broken down and starts to liquify, then with the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix thoroughly to combine.