Guacamole is pretty much like heaven to me. Packed with healthy fats, this combination of luscious, creamy avocado mixed with any variety of spices, herbs and aromatics is pretty great on just about anything. This recipe, one from the soon to be released book The Paleo Kitchen by George Bryant and Juli Bauer, adds a twist to the standard guac: plantains. That’s right. Plantains. These ripe beauties—a great source of healthy carbohydrate—are softened and then folded right in!
While you’re here, be sure to scroll down to enter the giveaway to win your very own free copy of The Paleo Kitchen! The photos alone are drool-inducing. This is a flash giveaway which ends Sunday June 8th at 11:59 PT, so enter now!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ingredients for Sweet Plantain Guacamole
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large brown plantain, peeled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 3 large avocados, cut in half, pits removed
- 1/4 medium white onion, finely chopped (30 grams)
- Handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions for Sweet Plantain Guacamole
- Place a small skillet over medium heat and add the coconut oil.
- Once the coconut oil is hot, add half of the garlic to the pan along with diced plantain.
- When the plantain dice begin to brown, salt them, and then flip to brown on other side.
- Add the water to the pan and cover to steam the plantain. Once the plantain dice are soft, remove from the heat and let cool.
- While the plantain finishes cooking, scoop out the insides of the pitted avocados and add to a large bowl to mash. Mash up the avocado with a fork. Add the onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper. Mix well, then fold in the plantains. Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
To enter for a chance to win a free copy of The Paleo Kitchen!
Use the Rafflecopter widget below to finalize your entry and unlock other bonus entries! (This is how the winner will be drawn, so don’t skip this step!)
The contest ends June 8, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. PT, and the winner will be announced here on the blog by June 10, 2014. Be sure to check back to see if you won!
The winner will be emailed and will have 48 hours to confirm back with his or her full name, address, and phone number to claim the prize. Open to US residents only.