The inspiration from this recipe came from a hip, local eatery here in San Diego called Craft & Commerce. Their version of this salad comes with fried goat cheese – and would put me on the express train to Stomachacheville – but the rest is absolutely divine. I served mine with Easy Pan-Fried Lemon Chicken because it’s already got a bright, citrusy flavor.
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 0 min Makes: 2 servings
- 6-8 cups of arugula (rocket) or spinach
- 2 small oranges, cut into segments
- 1 grapefruit, cut into segments
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Pickled Jicama, optional
- Top with Easy Pan-Fried Lemon Chicken or any other protein of choice, if desired
- Place the arugula down on the bottom of the plates.
- Zest one orange and the grapefruit into a small bowl. Cut the both oranges and grapefruit into segments over the bowl to catch any juice. Squeeze the rest of the juice from the membranes!! Set the juice aside.
- Top each salad with the segments from one orange, half a grapefruit, and ~1/4 cup of pickled jicama if desired.
- In the bowl with the juice, add a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk in the olive oil to make a simple vinaigrette (you should have about 3 Tablespoons of juice, and if your fruit didn’t yield enough you could always add the juice of a lemon).
- Pour the dressing over the salad and top with chicken or your protein of choice.