“I do not like them, Sam-I-Am!” or so says the main character in Dr. Seuss’s famous book. My friend and training partner Trish took me to a popular Encinitas eatery recently and swore that their green egg scramble was amazing…and it was!
It did happen to contain pesto (which traditionally contains parmesan cheese) and feta, so it wasn’t technically Paleo-friendly for me, as I don’t eat dairy. Intrigued by all the flavors, I decided to make a version that’s dairy-free and every bit as tasty. The extra pesto can be made and stored for other dishes (or even frozen in an ice cube tray). The quantities in this recipe served two very hungry people, but you could adjust accordingly. (Note: I, for once, did NOT use my iPhone for these pictures…learning how to use the big-girl camera slowly but surely!! Aren’t you proud?!)
Ingredients for the pesto:
- 2 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the eggs:
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup zucchini, cut into julienne matchsticks
- 2 green onions
- 1-2 Tablespoons coconut milk (from a can), optional
1. In a food processor, combine basil, garlic and pine nuts. Grind down until everything is chopped finely.
2. Add the olive oil and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Prepare the veggies: microwave the spinach and squeeze out the excess moisture. Julienne the zucchini and cut into matchsticks (I cheated and have a special julienne peeler
which I absolutely love!). Slice the green onions thinly (whites and about half of the green tops).
4. Crack eggs into a medium bowl and add coconut milk (if desired). Whisk until smooth.
5. In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of your fat of choice (ghee, coconut oil, lard, etc).
6. Quickly cook the zucchini and green onion until soft, ~1-2 minutes.
7. Add spinach and eggs and scramble the eggs until firm.
8. Stir in the pesto.
9. Top with avocado, serve with a side of (good quality…sugar-free for Whole30) bacon and consume!