This rainbow on a plate was inspired by a ratatouille made by my amazing friend Claudette, the owner of Cavegirl Confections (her granola and nut butters are HIGH quality and made with love…and she ships). We got together for dinner last week – with scallops, crab cakes, pork belly and lamb kofta with lemony herb sauce – and she made this as a side dish. It’s light and colorful and perfect for summer. Claudette’s not a big eggplant fan, so she left it out, but you could certainly add it if you’d like.
Like the creative genius that she is, she slices the peppers and tomato thin and uses a regular ol’ peeler to make the squash, zucchini and carrots into wide noodles.
Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 8-10 min Makes: 2-3 side-dish servings
- 2 carrots
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow summer squash
- 1 large tomato
- 1 bell pepper, any color
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Large spoonful of ghee (I like Omghee) or your fat of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use a regular vegetable peeler to peel the carrots, zucchini and yellow squash into long slices. Seed and thinly slice the tomato and bell pepper. Roughly chop the basil and parsley.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the ghee. Sauté the veggies (save the herbs for later) until they’re tender but not mushy, about 6-8 minutes. Turn off the heat, sprinkle in the herbs and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Easy peasy!